Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by hoffman900 »

oldjohnno wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:58 pm I've seen images of other things that have been designed artificially - one of a bridge comes to mind - where practical considerations like the use of stock materials and ease of manufacture have been ignored. And the thing that strikes me with them is their resemblance to bones - when there are no other constraints other than bulk and strength-to-mass the results seem to appear very bone-like.
We know natural evolution is just refinement (albiet slowly), due to natural selection of a population to an environment, over billions and billions of numbers in the population over millennia, and hence why as time goes on, machined shapes become more organic in nature.

That's what computer models can do. Instead of cut and pasting millions, or even billions of different combinations, the machine can hone in on a more efficient design in the matter of weeks, days, or even hours.
-Bob
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

oldjohnno wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:58 pm I've seen images of other things that have been designed artificially - one of a bridge comes to mind - where practical considerations like the use of stock materials and ease of manufacture have been ignored. And the thing that strikes me with them is their resemblance to bones - when there are no other constraints other than bulk and strength-to-mass the results seem to appear very bone-like.
Just copying the original Intelligent Designer. :D
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:47 pm
Instead of baiting everyone into an argument no one wants to have, how about explaining to us what neural nets are, or asking how machine learning can be used to make you go faster.
-Bob
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

hoffman900 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:49 pm
GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:47 pm
Instead of baiting everyone into an argument no one wants to have, how about explaining to us what neural nets are, or asking how machine learning can be used to make you go faster.
Not baiting anyone, just making a comment, forgive me if I don't post correctly.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

hoffman900 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:49 pm ... how about explaining to us what neural nets are, or asking how machine learning can be used to make you go faster.
Here is some educational material on neural networks: https://skymind.ai/wiki/neural-network
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:57 pm
Not baiting anyone..
:^o
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I read through this thread again.

I think that GM used a nascent approach with this when they altered the morphology of the LS7 rocker arms in an effort to change the natural frequency of the valve train. The mass was kept the same.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:20 pm I think that GM used a nascent approach with this when they altered the morphology of the LS7 rocker arms in an effort to change the natural frequency of the valve train. The mass was kept the same.
Speaking of GM and LS rockers, ask AI if a roller rocker tip is necessary, how it is beneficial and what is the lifespan compared to a radius tip.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:20 pm I read through this thread again.

I think that GM used a nascent approach with this when they altered the morphology of the LS7 rocker arms in an effort to change the natural frequency of the valve train. The mass was kept the same.
Topology optimization using modal frequencies as a design constraint has been available to analysts/engineers since the late 1990's. Interestingly enough, Optistruct's first customer was Dr. Keith Meintjes of GM. So it's not a reach to surmise that a modern LS7 (2005 vintage) used this kind of technology. The original LS7, I can't speak for. Fundamentally, optimization uses constraints and an objective to find "local minimums" in the solution space that meet all conditions.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

AI will write you reports for school and work. Friend is already using it for work. Scary when you think about the full implications.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

289nate wrote:Scary when you think about the full implications

It was always going to come to this ...... the 'SkyNet' reference earlier in the thread isn't lost on the majority of people, but as always we're mostly along for the ride

It could quickly get to the point where the negatives outweigh the benefits, and it's already too late to put the Jinn back in the bottle ...... definitely a case of 'be careful what you wish for'

I'm always wary of people who place an over reliance on technology, for the sake of it ....... a 'bathing in reflected glory' type of deal ....... and no, I'm not a Luddite