180° cranks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: 180° cranks

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 am Hopefully they didn't do that ^V^V crank layout that Ford did.

I have yet to hear a good explanation for it.
https://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-ford-mustang-gt-coyote-voodoo-cross-plane-flat-plane.html wrote:... A side effect of the Voodoo's crankpin layout is an end-to-end vibration that traditional [Flat Plane Cranks] avoid. In geek-speak, the Voodoo has (in addition to the aforementioned second order side-to-side shake inherent to all FPCs) a first-order inertial unbalance. To counteract this end-to-end unbalance, the Voodoo's crank looks to have a big honkin' counterweight at each end that, say, a Ferrari V8 crank doesn't require.

It's hard to say at this point whether the Voodoo's crankpin configuration yields any performance benefit over a traditional FPC. Perhaps it just made packaging the unusual exhaust manifolds easier. In any case, the price the Voodoo pays for its atypical crank throw layout is somewhat higher crankshaft mass and inertia than a traditional FPC, but still less than a cross-plane crank. In fact, [Ford engineering boss Jamal Hameedi] says that even with its hefty, vibration-absorbing dual-mass flywheel added in, the Voodoo still manages to have less total rotational inertia than the cross-plane crank-havin' Coyote.

Hameedi also tells me the production Voodoo exceeded the development team's original performance targets. ...
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 am
Schurkey wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:36 pm
That's what GM claimed with the Vega, and the Citation. And the V8-6-4. And the HT4100. :)
If you were born when all that happened, you would be 40+ years old now. Half the population of the US wasn’t even born yet. Seems like a silly argument...
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2743 ... -problems/
Not sure how this applies to a factory racing effort? This crank isn't even available yet in the production C8 yet.

Should work great in a segregated intake / restrictor race engine.
-Bob
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:22 pm
Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 am

If you were born when all that happened, you would be 40+ years old now. Half the population of the US wasn’t even born yet. Seems like a silly argument...
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2743 ... -problems/
Not sure how this applies to a factory racing effort? This crank isn't even available yet in the production C8 yet.

You selected age as the parameter.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Then he should use examples from more contemporary times. His argument hinged on 40 year old examples. :? :lol:

I had to google most of that crap.

Still wondering how all this applies to GM's factory Corvette racing program, which has proven super reliable, resulted in 8 LeMans wins, etc. The basis of his argument is that they don't have their crap together due to some production problems from 40 years ago.
-Bob
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:29 pm
Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Then he should use examples from more contemporary times. His argument hinged on 40 year old examples. :? :lol:

I had to google most of that crap.

Still wondering how all this applies to GM's factory Corvette racing program, which has proven super reliable, resulted in 8 LeMans wins, etc. The basis of his argument that they didn't have their crap together due to some production problems from 40 years ago.
I follow Steve Lehto and he has been on about the Focus -- that's what popped into my head. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMljRG ... bUorWEnasg

The last time I dug down into Corvette issues was to propose unanticipated super-cooling of sodium filled exhaust valves leading to failures.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

There was a Ford patent on crankshaft design that I looked up when the VooDoo crank first came out. I believe it came out of their European operations and (I thought) was applied to the high speed redesign of the cross-plane Coyote crank in 2015 and also the VooDoo crank. I seem to recall it was first done for a three cylinder motor.