305 head flow possibilities?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RCJ
Expert
Expert

Re: 305 head flow possibilities?

Post by RCJ »

With a 55cc chamber you will get around 11 c/r.The first time I used 305 heads on a 350 I detonated it and hurt some pistons.I switched from 91 to av gas, no problems after that.
A butt dyno is calibrated to like throttle response and low speed torque ,which is fun, but the vortecs are going to win more races.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:52 pm Jeff has the best stories and analysis.
Just saying....:-)
Seems like he's a bs'r like you. He can't seem to get anything to run right unless it has 305 heads on it,, that's pretty funny
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

RCJ wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:11 am With a 55cc chamber you will get around 11 c/r.The first time I used 305 heads on a 350 I detonated it and hurt some pistons.I switched from 91 to av gas, no problems after that.
A butt dyno is calibrated to like throttle response and low speed torque ,which is fun, but the vortecs are going to win more races.
The heads CC'd right at 60.

It will be 9.87
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

jeff swisher wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:04 am I have never cracked a 305 head..I have got some that were cracked but got all kinds of heads that were cracked so that is just what happens when people do not watch temps and timing I assume.

I have ran 305 heads on my 350's since the 90's and well over 400,000 miles on some 1.72 valve heads that were on a 305" that never gave up.

Why do I run them??
Because the old double humps were all used up and needed guides 90% of the time and i wanted a small chamber inexpensive head that would get the job done.
INEXPENSIVE was key in my book.
25-50 for a set of them that had good guides and no cracks and only needed valves lapped hard to say no to that.
I spend some time porting them but any head i use will get ported..I do it myself and have about 25 bucks tied up in porting supplies for a pair of heads.

Now we are up to 75 bucks. add 80 to that for machined for screw in studs and guide plates will cost you some also.
Add 100 for studs and guide plates
$255 in them so far. Then springs and I like the Beehive Pac springs now.
That is a cost you will pay for on any head.

I use the stock valves.

Go run 12's with old school cam and cheap heads and drive it for 100,000 miles or more and no worries.
Not that aftermarket iron heads have a worry factor.

I usually port heads for my buddies for 200-250 or I trade it out in labor or goodies.
So my friends are not into the heads for very much.
Your time isn't worth anything? Mine surely is and it gets estimated into the total whether it's for my own vehicle or someone else's.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

randy331 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:26 pm The "stories" and "analysis" would get debunked on a real engine dyno.

If you built a 350 with 305 heads and it beat one you did with vortec heads, you did something horribly wrong.

Randy
I did both on the same 350 engine.
The ported 305 heads were very good..
The vortec were better...
The 305 heads were impressive especially for my cost to do.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

Yep I BS some but my stuff does in fact run very right.
The reason I run 305 heads is because they work for what I need them to do.
I have friends that ran iron eagles on their small blocks and dart sportsmans and one buddy had a crate Blueprint 383 engine.
Not any 305 heads on those but not enough of the right stuff to beat me in a race either.

Yea there are plenty of quicker cars than mine I am not saying I an fastest at all just good daily driver old school quick.

On my time not being worth anything I suppose you may be correct in a way.
I am self employed and have been for most of my life.
Many people watch TV to relax I like too see if I can make junk out run expensive stuff.

My 57 Chevy I have less than 4,500 in the entire car. 12 second ride on the cheap that pulls my boat.
That is all I need.
Everything I have is paid for all my houses cars and No credit card debt.. just utilities insurance and taxes.
Never got a dime from government or anyone.
And I do not have to work for anyone.. So yea I have time to spare.

I do not like to spend money on myself.

More BS.
1966 corvette 327" .040 over with forged pistons ported 492 heads and XE268H ran very well and pulled very hard.
Buddy updated it after a heater hose let all the coolant out and he continued to drive 5 more miles home.
New Block another .040 over same forged pistons but AFR 180 eliminator heads and XE274 or 276 roller.

It feels slightly better in the mid range.
That was a lot of money for little gains.
I had a 260H in my 57 at the time and yes 305 heads. he has a 4 speed and 3.36 gears 26" tall tires.
I had TH350 stock converter and 3.36 gears and 29" tall tires.
He got the hole shot on me by 20 feet and could not pull any more than that the entire race.

I would not spend a dime on a combo that can't keep up with my turd 57 in that trim.
His was tuned on an engine dyno.
So I like my 305 heads.
Was it the heads or the combo.. my combo sucked! little 260H cam.
Only thing I had on him was 11.18 compression to his 9.5.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

jeff swisher wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:58 pm Yep I BS some but my stuff does in fact run very right.
The reason I run 305 heads is because they work for what I need them to do.
I have friends that ran iron eagles on their small blocks and dart sportsmans and one buddy had a crate Blueprint 383 engine.
Not any 305 heads on those but not enough of the right stuff to beat me in a race either.

Yea there are plenty of quicker cars than mine I am not saying I an fastest at all just good daily driver old school quick.

On my time not being worth anything I suppose you may be correct in a way.
I am self employed and have been for most of my life.
Many people watch TV to relax I like too see if I can make junk out run expensive stuff.

My 57 Chevy I have less than 4,500 in the entire car. 12 second ride on the cheap that pulls my boat.
That is all I need.
Everything I have is paid for all my houses cars and No credit card debt.. just utilities insurance and taxes.
Never got a dime from government or anyone.
And I do not have to work for anyone.. So yea I have time to spare.

I do not like to spend money on myself.

More BS.
1966 corvette 327" .040 over with forged pistons ported 492 heads and XE268H ran very well and pulled very hard.
Buddy updated it after a heater hose let all the coolant out and he continued to drive 5 more miles home.
New Block another .040 over same forged pistons but AFR 180 eliminator heads and XE274 or 276 roller.

It feels slightly better in the mid range.
That was a lot of money for little gains.
I had a 260H in my 57 at the time and yes 305 heads. he has a 4 speed and 3.36 gears 26" tall tires.
I had TH350 stock converter and 3.36 gears and 29" tall tires.
He got the hole shot on me by 20 feet and could not pull any more than that the entire race.

I would not spend a dime on a combo that can't keep up with my turd 57 in that trim.
His was tuned on an engine dyno.
So I like my 305 heads.
Was it the heads or the combo.. my combo sucked! little 260H cam.
Only thing I had on him was 11.18 compression to his 9.5.
The best way to tell if your shyt runs hard is stop hanging around with buddies who are losers ,,, that can't build anything that challenges you.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

he best way to tell if your shyt runs hard is stop hanging around with buddies who are losers ,,, that can't build anything that challenges you.
[/quote]

That's funny I like it.
And you may be right.
Best I ever went in my personal vehicle is 11.5's in the 1/4 with ported factory iron heads in a 350" No power adders, 1978 Nova.
I have built a 355" with AFR 210 heads that went 9.4 at 138 for a buddy. Solid flat tappet cam Strip dominator intake and 4779 carb.