CNC Heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
CNC Heads?

Post by econo racer »

Has anyone ever looked at or tried running a set of CNC imported SBC heads?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Re: CNC Heads?

Post by Dave Koehler »

You are going to need to provide more info. Generalities don't flow well around here.
Brand, model, etc. for a start.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

econo racer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:47 am Has anyone ever looked at or tried running a set of CNC imported SBC heads?
CNC in itself simply means that all the ports will be the same but, has nothing to do with how good the ports are designed.
Where did that model intake and exhaust port come from ...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I think the 2 sets I saw were procomp and speedmaster .
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

same set sir
reed
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

I've run my program in about 4 pallets of the ProHeader Dart copy.

Zero issues. Makes 550 on a 383 pump gas and 650+ on a 383 drag engines.

Kept it small and sake, has all it can do to break 300cfm.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Doesnt take much to get those over 300 (same one chad uses probably)
x2 CNC doesnt mean its good..or bad. Figured it was a matter of time before those started floating around.

Played with a set of those and #s were strong everywhere pleasantly surprised.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Everybody talks about CNC heads, what usually I ask is, who did the original porting you are coping, or did you just tell the computer program to make them a certain percent larger? Just wondering why don't the sellers of CNC porting advertise who did the work the program is copying? Seems they might get more business? I port my own heads, I'm sure I leave HP on the table, but I just like the challenge of doing my own work. I have checked several CNC heads on my bench, most flow well, but the velocity is almost always a lot lower compared to the porting I do. And I just do a few engines a year so I don't claim to be an expert. Also seen some failures because the program takes out too much material, causing cracks and leakage as well.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Pretty stuff sells....seems the resale is getting whored out, perhaps a twist to bumps sales Id guess.
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

My import chamber.

With mine, the same effort went into the design as everything else, just use a different step over for machine time to keep the cost down.

Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

rebelrouser wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm Everybody talks about CNC heads, what usually I ask is, who did the original porting you are coping, or did you just tell the computer program to make them a certain percent larger? Just wondering why don't the sellers of CNC porting advertise who did the work the program is copying? Seems they might get more business? I port my own heads, I'm sure I leave HP on the table, but I just like the challenge of doing my own work. I have checked several CNC heads on my bench, most flow well, but the velocity is almost always a lot lower compared to the porting I do. And I just do a few engines a year so I don't claim to be an expert. Also seen some failures because the program takes out too much material, causing cracks and leakage as well.
Tell the computer to make it a certain percentage larger? Are cnc machines now using AI to CNC? You can't just stick a head in, type in that you want this hole/port this much larger and let it work. That's not how cnc works. If there's a program to run, there's a pattern to follow, and someone programmed that pattern. No matter what it's doing. Someone programmed it to do that. You don't just stick parts in and tell it to arbitrarily a pick space and remove material of its own choosing, which is how you've explained it, it seems. It doesn't just take material out anywhere.

The cnc machine only executes motions that are programmed into the machine. And the whole "who are you copying" isn't a good question to ask. You ask who did the master that the program was based on. It sounds like you're trying to throw shade if you ask "who are you copying".
Last edited by midnightbluS10 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

midnightbluS10 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:54 pm
rebelrouser wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm Everybody talks about CNC heads, what usually I ask is, who did the original porting you are coping, or did you just tell the computer program to make them a certain percent larger? Just wondering why don't the sellers of CNC porting advertise who did the work the program is copying? Seems they might get more business? I port my own heads, I'm sure I leave HP on the table, but I just like the challenge of doing my own work. I have checked several CNC heads on my bench, most flow well, but the velocity is almost always a lot lower compared to the porting I do. And I just do a few engines a year so I don't claim to be an expert. Also seen some failures because the program takes out too much material, causing cracks and leakage as well.
Tell the computer to make it a certain percentage larger? Are cnc machines now using AI to CNC? You can't just stick a head in, type in that you want this hole this much larger and let it work. That's not how cnc works. If there's a pattern to follow, someone programmed that pattern.

The cnc machine only executes motions that are programmed into the machine. And the whole "who are you copying" isn't a good question to ask. You ask who did the master that the program was based on.
You can tell it I want the throat .020 smaller or I want less step over on the roof.

I have had many of my ports shrunk .050 on all walls. Then hand finish per application
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Tell the computer to make it a certain percentage larger? Are cnc machines now using AI to CNC? You can't just stick a head in, type in that you want this hole/port this much larger and let it work. That's not how cnc works. If there's a program to run, there's a pattern to follow, and someone programmed that pattern. No matter what it's doing. Someone programmed it to do that. You don't just stick parts in and tell it to arbitrarily a pick space and remove material of its own choosing, which is how you've explained it, it seems. It doesn't just take material out anywhere.

The cnc machine only executes motions that are programmed into the machine. And the whole "who are you copying" isn't a good question to ask. You ask who did the master that the program was based on. It sounds like you're trying to throw shade if you ask "who are you copying".
I assume someone in China probably copied an AFR or Brodix head.
Joe Facciano
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

This ^
The copies we use are an exact copy of the Dart pro 1, I have had them side by side to compare and they have the same little marks, nicks etc everywhere.
I see a lot of hand porters poo poo cnc porting, thats fine, it interferes with there income, it is expected.
Chad, the wide step over on your intake ports is to make it cheaper eh?? Yeh sure. I do like your work.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I have not seen a picture of porting out of the box looking like Chads. His looks like art. =D> I have a set of Canfield 195's with 205-160 valves. I want to step up soon to something possibly making at least 40 more hp.