Welding crank journals

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Welding crank journals

Post by PackardV8 »

Truckedup wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:39 pm This complicated by the fact Guzzi offers only standard bearings for this model engine...
You've got one bad rod journal, but are the mains and the other rod close enough you would want to run them standard?

Can't say what you'd find for the Gutser, but building obsolete engines for which bearings are NLA, about once a year I spend way too much time in bearing catalogs finding the closest available bearing and then sizing the crank journal and the rod bore to that spec.

FWIW, I was always hesitant to narrow a bearing shell, but after a conversation with a Clevite engineer convinced me it shouldn't be a problem, that has occasionally been the solution.
X2, call Adney Brown at Performance Crankshaft. He does all kind of repairs, welding and hard chroming.
If he says he can do it, it will be right.
X2 for Adney. Just don't be in a time crunch. Adney is so good, he's got a backlog.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
denndeko

Post by denndeko »

Dude, thank you for this topic, I was really helped by what people wrote here. I'll make a note of it. In general, everything that concerns electrics and welding, for me-as the highest mathematics.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I had a gentleman tig weld a crank for me. He would not tell me the rod used. There was no a blemish in it after I ground it. I ground to within .020 and straightened it and finished grinding from there. Had crank nitrided and then straightened again as it went out .003 tir. Was SBC 3.875 stroke and turned .010 x .010. Was a COLA.
reed
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:52 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:53 am
IF it is done correctly with the correct welding rod there will be no problems.
However, most shops will do it the easiest and fastest way, not the best way.
You usually get exactly what you pay for.

Performance Crankshaft, Inc. in Michigan ... 586 549-7557
X2, call Adney Brown at Performance Crankshaft. He does all kind of repairs, welding and hard chroming.
If he says he can do it, it will be right.
Adney does not do Hardchroming but, does do Nitriding.

Welding a crankshaft will distort it some so, grinding the mains is most always necessary.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.