Welding cylinder head

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Juho_

Welding cylinder head

Post by Juho_ »

Hey,

I'm currently working on a -530 Volvo 8 valve aluminum head (going to my own car for testing purposes).
The ports require quite a lot work, exhaust port especially requires welding the floor (stupid shape).

I have already welded the combustion chambers and done the 'raw cut' for them.
What I have had on my mind for the exhaust port:
- fill the floor with aluminium plate cut to correct size (sounds like a lot of problems) and welded from the ends (or how far I can reach with my tig torch).
- cut the whole port through with a cutter and install aluminium pipe with enough thickness and weld from the ends (A LOT of work, since I need to figure out how I could do that without pain and sweat.. without fancy machines)

Intake port shouldn't be any problem, since it's (hopefully) mostly just lots of burring..and can be filled with epoxy from the floor (to lift the port).

The engine will be run only on E85, so exhaust gas temps are a bit cooler than with gas.

Which way would you fill the exhaust port floor, or what would you do instead to avoid possible problems caused by the way the floor was filled?
mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: Welding cylinder head

Post by mk e »

I always worry about heat in an exhaust port.....so I thing anything you add needs to be attached to coolant flow which means a plate on the bottom to the port ids probably not a great idea. Plates in intake ports are fine, but I wouldn't do it in an exhaust port.

There are some pretty small TIG torches that will weld pretty small ports.

I have this one:
https://www.arc-zone.com/WP-125

and this

https://www.arc-zone.com/WP-24W

for port work.

I usually just weld but have done the tube thing before welded at the flange, seat, and guide...its getting to the guide that is the hard part.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Juho_

Re: Welding cylinder head

Post by Juho_ »

Thank you for the reply.
I'll see what I can do.. just welding the floor doesn't seem that bad option.

There is also the possibility to just fill the seat bore and have the seat and valve sit higher.
Didn't even think about such as option earlier.. perhaps I should do some measuring and see if that'll work outside my head.
Would need to do the same for the intake too, so the valves would sit at same height.
Piston-to-valve clearance at TDC is not a problem.