Block choice for SB2 heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cnsperf
Pro
Pro

Block choice for SB2 heads

Post by cnsperf »

I have a set of SB2 heads that I am trying to figure out which block to go with. I’ve been trying to find a block with the lifter bores specific to the SB2 configuration with little luck. I was told that the raised cam blocks eliminate the need for the offset lifter bores. This is my first venture into the SB2 world so any good advice or warnings will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help and guidance.
Christopher Racing Engines
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870
252-578-8273
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Block choice for SB2 heads

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Do those use the same block as the Sb2.2? If so, GM is supposed to have a specific block and it's been said Dart can set a block up with correct lifter bores, also. You may want to read through this thread if they are the same. It covers this subject somewhat.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

cnsperf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:09 pm I have a set of SB2 heads that I am trying to figure out which block to go with. I’ve been trying to find a block with the lifter bores specific to the SB2 configuration with little luck. I was told that the raised cam blocks eliminate the need for the offset lifter bores. This is my first venture into the SB2 world so any good advice or warnings will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help and guidance.
Chris,
You can definitely use a standard SBC block with inline lifters with SB2.2 heads, but you need to have the correct rocker kit. Jesel sells a kit for the splayed lifter(SB2.2 specific block ) and a different kit for SB2.2 heads on the conventional block.

Not sure how the raised cam would affect things, I am guessing you would still use the above advice.

Good luck with your project
Charlie
cnsperf
Pro
Pro

Post by cnsperf »

Thanks Charlie.

These are SB2.2 heads, by the way. I have a habit of calling this design SB2.

Chris
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870
252-578-8273
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Are the Sb2.2-style blocks not available anymore?
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

The GM block 12480046 may be in the process of being discontinued. GM has no stock on it, nor does GM's supplier....and their is no date as to when that may or may not change. That block is stupid money anyway. I would be looking at reconfiguring an unfinished Dart first myself.
cnsperf
Pro
Pro

Post by cnsperf »

I was looking used initially, then aftermarket when I couldn't find a decent used block close enough to put my hands on before purchase. All the suppliers I've spoken with don't have any SB2.2 blocks and don't have a run date to produce any.
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870
252-578-8273
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

If you're planning on putting a large stroke in the engine, go with the raised cam block, with 50mm cam bearings.
It's very hard to find an SB2 cam with a small base circle, or standard journal size.
Most of the 55mm cam cores for the SB2 heads, are for the SB2 block, and won't work in a standard block, with standard lifter bore placement.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I have an SB2 Block from Andy Petree. PM sent
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I used a dart iron eagle raised cam block with BBC cam size.

Worked out well, but like mentioned the rockers and lifters (roller) were tricky with offsets.

If I were to do it over I would use sb2.2 layout in block and stick with solid (non-roller) cam.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

You can use a block with standard lifter bore spacing bore with the SB2.2 offset. The SB2.2 offset is ideal, you will have less potential issues. Standard bore loads the lifters a little harder, we have seen broken tie bars with them. Dart can custom bore for the SB2.2 offset, my 9.5" deck aluminum block has the SB2.2 offset.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.