Water injection nozzles into a Victor R - best position?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Water injection nozzles into a Victor R - best position?

Post by shoedoos »

I have two water injection nozzles set for installation in an Edelbrock Victor R intake.....before I drill and tap....any suggestions on placement?
Bazman
Pro
Pro
Re: Water injection nozzles into a Victor R - best position?

Post by Bazman »

Ideally in a spacer above it. You want the nozzles as far from the runners as you can get to aid even distribution and atomization. If you can't run a spacer then as high as you can get them. I'm not an expert on water injecting under carbs but would think running the spray at 90 degrees to the airflow would be better than aiming it at the intake floor where it'll pool. That's what we do on EFI - jet's are aimed 90 degrees at the flow and before throttle body for best atomization. With a carby you can't go before the carb so have to go right under it. I assume you're intending a water/meth mix?
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Certainly is a weird one.......it almost seems like the carb crowd are ignored by the meth/water injection manufacturers. The supplied jets fan at 120-degrees so if you pipe them into each side of the plenum then half of the fan is going to spray up and quite possibly puddle/pool under the Dominator.

I am now thinking of drilling from underneath and placing a single jet on the floor so the plume sprays directly up and out. Obviously this is a little more work.....

Any other thoughts?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Looks like I am the second person to go up this track......

Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Could you inject through a nitrous plate or would it not flow enough/too much? Wonder if the nitrous companies have considered something like this
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

NX have recently taken over Snow - they sell an injector plate for below the carb.....my problem is hood clearance......
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

shoedoos wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:09 pm NX have recently taken over Snow - they sell an injector plate for below the carb.....my problem is hood clearance......
Do they provide the angle of the spray cone? I am thinking you could proceed with your idea of mounting the injectors in the side of the carb mount -- emulating the plate.

Ask around if anyone has used a small disk or tab to "trim" away the conical spray pattern aimed at the carb bores. Obviously it would need to be strong enough to not vibrate loose and not so large so as to create a fuel distribution issue. Maybe you could dremel out a partial round bore with the injector proper countersunk in. That would allow you to modify the spray pattern with a minimum of flow disruption from the carb. Practice on a scrap manifold first.
Deflector.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

^^^^^ I like it....according to google, most water/meth jets plume in a 120-degree cone - thumbs up, I'm going to give this a go.....
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I have used the Snow water injection on a NA V8 engine, with a dual plane intake & a Victor. On both manifolds, I used two nozzles per manifold. Installed about 1" down from the carb flange, in an east-west direction. Worked well & killed the detonation.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Personally I would use a plate, If I had to mock up, measure and take the manifold off, then surface the spacer and if needed the carb pad to get to where it needs to be to fit. You might not need much after confirming clearance. I cant imagine you have anything stock hood wise with a Victor R under it. Looks like most nozzles are 1/8th npt, you could probably make one with a cheap AllStar 1/2 inch spacer and not have to touch anything assuming the spacer is wide enough.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf- ... /overview/
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

while I agree the plate system would achieve a result, I have already milled the intake down (to get everything under the hood) so that's out of the question. NX/Snow's plate shows the injection nozzle centered and pointing directly down as opposed to 90 degrees from the flow...
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

I have always thought/wondered about, and soon will be using a water/meth injection setup on a carb using a ring/nozzle that mounts over the air filter stud with 4 injection points aiming down the venturi so that the spray is away from the air bleeds. Its probably been done but im keen to try it. I 'think' this would be good from a distribution point of view, wont know untill i try it out.
Craig.
BBO Omega

Post by BBO Omega »

ProMeth sells a dual nozzle ring that mounts inside the air cleaner on top of the Carb.
73 Omega, 468 BBO, 4.185 ICON Pistons,RR/Wenzler Heads with HS 1.7 rockers and PAC 1220X Springs,J&S 5-main Halo with Billet Caps, .590I .580E 242I 256E HR Cam, 1000hp Carb,2" x 3 1/2" headers,Coan 2900rpm Conv.,TH400,3.73 12 bolt,11.32/118
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

^^^^^ not the world's most informative website that ProMeth have......any chance you can direct me to pics of the ring you mention?