General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Timing tape- printable....

Post by Caprimaniac »

Hello, gearheads.

I refurbished my 10+ year old "Summit" SFI- damper the other day. It's a steel unit, Made in Australia, godd unit. However- it's rusting away. And away goes all the markings, too... Pained it black. It will look good for a season or two?

I measuered 167mm or 6.575" diameter. In the catalogue it says 6.61".

Have timing tape for 63/8 and 63/4". Don't know if anyone makes anythng that'll fit my balancer.

There are printable, online, Version. [url]https://www.blocklayer.com/timing-tape.aspx[url]

If you have any x.perience With this one, or know of anything "better" even have a PDF file or other of a printable Version, please post it up..

I'll have a look at this printable Version and see if I can customize it some...
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Timing tape- printable....

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Caprimaniac wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:25 pm ...
There are printable, online, Version. https://www.blocklayer.com/timing-tape.aspx

If you have any x.perience With this one, or know of anything "better" even have a PDF file or other of a printable Version, please post it up..

I'll have a look at this printable Version and see if I can customize it some...
Definitely check the accuracy of your printer using a large ruler or meter-length vernier caliper. I found that the x and y axes usually require different correction factors.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

That is correct. Without getting into science about it, the Lazer that write the image is using a rotating polygon mirror that distorts it plus minor fluctuations in the timing.
Most have some sort of software to compensate for this but who knows if it's still in calibration or not.

Regardless, 6.575"*3.14/360=.046.6 between the lines.
Draw them on your favorite tape, stick it on and/or mark them on the damper yourself. Marking them every two degree's(.097) will make them much easier too see under the flashing lights and still accurate enough.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Possible alternative to tape. Check with your local CNC guy or even a talented manual machinist with a mill.
Paint it or coat it and have it engraved.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Dave Koehler wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:32 pm Possible alternative to tape. Check with your local CNC guy or even a talented manual machinist with a mill.
Paint it or coat it and have it engraved.
That's a great sollution, Dave. But the costs of getting something like that done, will make buying a New balancer a better solution, I'm afraid.

I'll take in account what you say and hopefully also find a piece of plastic/ paper that will stay glued & hold up to the forces it will see...
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I think you should measure circumference directly instead of converting backwards from diameter. Make your printed tape match circumference and you end up with no rounding errors. Stick the printed label on then trace over the lines with a hand engraver, add numbers where you think they'll be useful.
DON'T PANIC
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I measure the diameter accurately and with the math determine the length of 10 degrees and transfer that to the dampener. I mark the increments with a sharp cold chisel and hand paint the numbers. You can transfer with dividers in small increments, but you have to be aware of the arc.
PICT0004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So much to do, so little time...
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

I think you're both right, and no reason to print or mark anything before circumference measurement. I'll og Ahead and do somthing smart(?) this weekend.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

I do understand this is the right way to do it. I am curious tho, how many folks have seen errors with a decent dial-back timing light and tdc mark.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

That is...a proven positive stop referenced tdc mark.
dondon

Post by dondon »

since I have more time than money,I take a paper bag or something and cut a strip of paper, then wrap it around the balancer and cut it the length (circumference) of the balancer. then quarter it (90 degrees) than one section in half (45 degrees) than divide that in thirds and so on for 5 degrees and so on than cut the marks in the balancer with a coping saw. wont come off like a timing tape. work on any balancer.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

some of the smaller degree wheels are the same diameter as the balancer.
So much to do, so little time...
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

rfoll wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:10 am some of the smaller degree wheels are the same diameter as the balancer.
Yes- I didn't think of that. And I have a small one or two laying around- bought in a larger Comp degree Wheel last year; really saw the need for it.

Else I need to stop by my old mum and borrow her sewing- tapemeasure. MY ex GF ran away With all the sewing hardware, the dogs, the bed etc. Or maybe I need to buy in one? Smart to leave in a drawer for later use....
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Bolt degree wheel to balancer, mark tdc, rotate in 2 deg increments & mark balancer as you go, either a small sharp cold chisel or engraving tool.
Why complicate things? Marking it like that you know it's dead on.