Limits of splashzone or Belzona?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Limits of splashzone or Belzona?

Post by cv67 »

Never used either, useage would be for busting through heads or intakes whats your experience?

Til I learn to weld have to be conservative and use JB which has been fine so far but from reading on the ones listed in title Im curious

Whats your experience show?

Will either hold up to a cooling jacket and the pressures/temps?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Limits of splashzone or Belzona?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Belzona search results limited to the Speed-Talk site:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... belzona%22

Splashzone search results limited to the Speed-Talk site:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... ashzone%22

I am not trying to be a jerk. There is a lot of information on this site that has come from people that are no longer alive. They will not be able to respond to your current question.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I have used Belzona to totally rebuild walls in Intake Manifolds , in regards to iron heads I have used it to build up Intake port floors with a thickness of some 1/4" or more.
In regards to repairing cylinder head port wall blow thru's I have used it to repair a hole of about 1/8", if I needed to repair a hole that is larger I would take it to a shop that can pressure test heads and have them use a pour in sealer to act like a Condem.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

There are a baker's halfdozen different Belzona " Metal Repair / Rebuilding " products.

https://www.belzona.com/en/products.aspx

https://www.belzona.com/en/products/pur ... epair.aspx

Some have pretty limited temperature resistance when "immersed" in an unidentified liquid.
1111 Super metal 49 °C (120°F) immersed, 200°C (392°F) dry

The 1511 is about the only one with good "immersed temperature resistance." 160°C (320°F) immersed, 210°C (392°F) dry
Last edited by Dan Timberlake on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I was given a pair of iron SBC heads that were misdrilled when doing the screw-in studs, some moron drilled all the way through the floor of the coolant passage and broke through to the intake ports. Sounds like 1511 would be the only thing suitable here?
DON'T PANIC
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

For a hole like you have now ( about .375" ) I would want to pre- heat and braze those closed.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

What do you use to braze them with?
Thanks for the feedback I did google...can only read so many guesses before I lose patience lol

? Of will it hold up to a cooling jacket if I bust through was the main one. Bowl area..one day Ill have to learn to weld and buy a sonic tester if Im going to get serious about hacking.

I think A and B is kinda mickey mouse, used to use it to fix cracks in swimming pools til the injectable stuff came out. That A and B falls apart over time.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

mag2555 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:10 pm For a hole like you have now ( about .375" ) I would want to pre- heat and braze those closed.
It's not the full diameter exposed, the C/L of the stud location is about directly over the vertical port wall so only a portion of the drilled hole broke through in the upper corner. The location is REALLY difficult to get at.

Being rational about it they should probably just be thrown away, if the repair were to fail pressurized coolant flooding an intake port would result in some impressive carnage.
DON'T PANIC
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Couple of pipe plugs should fix it up... :D
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

What magical pipe thread size will fit through a 7/16-14 hole at the top and yet seal up a .375 hole at the bottom?
DON'T PANIC
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If I understand the issue correctly, how about threading the hole with a bottoming tap and running in a suitably coated 7/16" set screw, short enough to allow subsequent installation of the stud?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

turbo camino wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:51 pm What magical pipe thread size will fit through a 7/16-14 hole at the top and yet seal up a .375 hole at the bottom?
1/8 smart alec. You can stack sizes, or put a time-sert over it. Lock and stich repair pins are the same threads per inch and taper as 1/8 pipe, like a pipe plug that just keeps going.