"symmetrical" head description?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Circlotron
Guru
Guru

"symmetrical" head description?

Post by Circlotron »

Why are heads with the valve layout IEIEIEIE called symmetrical? That word is for something that is mirror image about a centre line. The only heads I can think of that would qualify for that description are early Holden 253 / 308 CID that are IEIEEIEI.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Re: "symmetrical" head description?

Post by Stan Weiss »

Circlotron wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:41 pm Why are heads with the valve layout IEIEIEIE called symmetrical? That word is for something that is mirror image about a centre line. The only heads I can think of that would qualify for that description are early Holden 253 / 308 CID that are IEIEEIEI.
For me examples of Mirror would be EIIEEIIE or IEEIIEEI.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Circlotron wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:41 pm Why are heads with the valve layout IEIEIEIE called symmetrical? That word is for something that is mirror image about a centre line. The only heads I can think of that would qualify for that description are early Holden 253 / 308 CID that are IEIEEIEI.
It is a misused word.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Stan Weiss wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:11 am
For me examples of Mirror would be EIIEEIIE or IEEIIEEI.

Stan
Oh yeah, my bad. Lots of different ones. :shock:
Looking further, it seems that symmetrical refers to the port size and shape, not it's position as I thought.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I always thought it referred to the fact that every port has the same shape, there are no "bad" ports and because they're spaced evenly on the head and not the standard 2-2 intake ports and 1-2-1 exhaust ports that you find on any oem gen 1 head.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I think it is based upon "symmetry" as all the cylinders seem to be exactly the same;
but, usually there are some small differences between them which are not obvious.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:01 am I always thought it referred to the fact that every port has the same shape, there are no "bad" ports and because they're spaced evenly on the head and not the standard 2-2 intake ports and 1-2-1 exhaust ports that you find on any oem gen 1 head.
Yes, it refers to the ports. The ports are symmetrical. You don't have 2 ports curving to the right, and 2 ports curving to the left.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:01 am I always thought it referred to the fact that every port has the same shape, there are no "bad" ports and because they're spaced evenly on the head and not the standard 2-2 intake ports and 1-2-1 exhaust ports that you find on any oem gen 1 head.
Just think about the big block Chevy Mark IV head for a few minutes;
All the valves are spaced equally for a I E I E I E I E to be symmetrical ... yet, 2 intake ports swing to the left and 2 intake ports swing to the right, therefore it is not readily referred to as a symmetrical head.

Now, a big block Ford head is usually referred to as being symmetrical.
Although it is not really. However, all the intake ports do swing the same direction ... simply 2 of those ports have slightly more swing than the other 2 for slightly different port spacing at the flange but. without actually measuring them, they look to be the same.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Whats really funny is the only one that is by defenition symetrical is the sbc head, fold it in the middle, its the same on both sides.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Good example of a "non-symmetrical" head is the OEM big block head which has two distinctly different design/shape of exhaust ports in each head. Current aftermarket BBC heads have symmetrical intake ports and symmetrical exhaust ports, therefore all of the intake ports are similar shape and size and likewise for all of the exhaust ports.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

englertracing wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:10 am Whats really funny is the only one that is by defenition symetrical is the sbc head, fold it in the middle, its the same on both sides.
That's only one definition of symmetrical (bisecting)

Here's two others, that would fit the Ford head.

: having corresponding points whose connecting lines are bisected by a given point or perpendicularly bisected by a given line or plane

correspondence in size, shape, and relative position of parts on opposite sides of a dividing line or median plane or about a center or axis
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449