Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: C8 Corvette dynos high???

Post by Orr89rocz »

peejay wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 pm
Orr89rocz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 am
Truckedup wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:43 am

I see many young guys in new Diesel pu trucks, they are in the basic model Vette price range...They don't want newer Vettes because it's associated with gray heads and new models may or may not change that...And perhaps the insurance cost?

Thats a different scene all together. Urban offroader, but some of them do take them trucks out. Truck is way more practical as a daily tho. Guys with vettes need a separate vehicle as a daily esp in the snow states
Trucks are way more impractical as daily drivers unless you live out where there is no traffic.

The roads in my neighborhood are narrower than a Raptor is wide. Basically you have to be a self entitled d-bag to want to drive one around here, not caring how much you are inconveniencing everyone else. And I don't even live in New England where things tend to be REALLY packed thanks to cities having been around since the 1700s.

Winter tires make C5s completely livable in the winter, not sure about the newer ones yet.
Lol you and i must live it completely different environments. If A silverado 1500 isnt a practical vehicle then i dont know what to say
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Orr89rocz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 am 60-70 yr old dudes are the guys who can afford them lol

Its pretty common to see hp and tq differences in different gears on some non loaded dynos. But these numbers arent real. Show me the time slip
But it's the 30+ yr old owners you see in every video on the internet, using them for what they're intended for and not doing 15 under the speed limit everywhere they go lol. So younger people own them, too. But I'm guessing it more because of the performance you can get from them and less about the classic round tails and hideaway headlamps. Seems to me that GM is attempting to change that and is actually trying to attract younger buyers that are interested in more than just how fast it is.

But don't both numbers usually follow each other as in both tq and hp are usually both lower or higher when using a another gear? And not one go up and one go down?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Truckedup wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:43 am

I see many young guys in new Diesel pu trucks, they are in the basic model Vette price range...They don't want newer Vettes because it's associated with gray heads and new models may or may not change that...And perhaps the insurance cost?
Thats a different scene all together. Urban offroader, but some of them do take them trucks out. Truck is way more practical as a daily tho. Guys with vettes need a separate vehicle as a daily esp in the snow states
Trucks are way more impractical as daily drivers unless you live out where there is no traffic.

The roads in my neighborhood are narrower than a Raptor is wide. Basically you have to be a self entitled d-bag to want to drive one around here, not caring how much you are inconveniencing everyone else. And I don't even live in New England where things tend to be REALLY packed thanks to cities having been around since the 1700s.

Winter tires make C5s completely livable in the winter, not sure about the newer ones yet.
Everybody doesn't drive a raptor. Maybe that truck specifically isn't a practical dd but you can't make a generalized statement that trucks in general aren't just because that one isn't. My truck is perfect as a dd and has been for the last 15 years and I live in an urban area of around 400k people. My truck also isn't 9.5 ft wide like a Raptor, either. Neither are most trucks on the road today, I'd bet.

People drive Corvettes around here all year round on summer tires most of the time. Living south of the Mason Dixon has its benefits.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
inline__engine

Post by inline__engine »

put it on a dynojet for some repeatable numbers
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Orr89rocz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Lol you and i must live it completely different environments. If A silverado 1500 isnt a practical vehicle then i dont know what to say
He likely lives in a densely populated city....? Here in western rural NY a Vette ,even with winter tires has far too little ground clearance for the snowy back roads here..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The 1/4 mile MPH and known car+ driver weight will tell the tale of how much rwhp it is really making.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

With vette vs. Dually you will save enough money in fuel cost you can stay home on snowdays.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

as an owner of 11 new corvettes,last one was a 2008 and if I was not 85 years old I would have #12 on order. my reaction times now are not good enought for that quick a car. I was still doing track days with the 2008 but now I just drive my 2018 silverado. back in the day we did drive them in the snow as the mrs drove one to work every day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

RCJ wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:36 am With vette vs. Dually you will save enough money in fuel cost you can stay home on snowdays.
Not everyone gets paid days off.....Duallys are used by horse and beef cow people around here...Vette is not so useful for pulling 7 tons of trailer...And a full size non dually truck is only about 4 inches wider than a Vette...Seriously, you can't compare the two...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:18 am
cv67 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:21 pm Bingo...who knows whats accurate anymore I pay 0 attention do dyno #s anymore.
Neat ride....they forgot to finish the back of it...again.
I'm gonna take a guess that you're at least 50 years old?

You realize if GM didn't change the Corvette, there would be no customer base once all of the older guys and current customers die, right? Young people don't like "old guy Corvettes" so they needed to update it. And they did. It's pretty obvious to me they're trying pretty hard to attract younger buyers so they they don't run out of customers in the next 2 decades because they're still selling the same cars to 60/70/80 yr old guys.

Continuing to build rwd Corvettes with round taillights and hideaway headlights spells a sure death for the Corvette brand.
I wonder if that is the case?

Harley Davidson has lost their ass trying to compete with Honda only to now offer really expensive Honda's... I am 53 and all my 10 year younger friends own old school Harley's because they wanted a Harley, not a Honda, something gets it's reputation for what it is and when you change that then it's not what it was and you have to find a new customer for the new Whatever. Look at the failed attempt to recreate the GTO vs the increased sales with the revamped old style Mustang and Dodge Challenger... and to some extent GM's retro space age Camaro.

I am not saying they have lost their way with the Vette, I always wanted a 70's stingray and then after actually driving a Vette I would not own one unless it was given to me. The new ones are probably much better but considering everything else I could own for the price that would never be a thought.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
-M54-

Post by -M54- »

I wish the dyno sheets had the correction factor on them to understand the temp/air pressure during testing.

Anyways, when they converted wheel HP to crank HP, they used the typical 15% factor for rear wheel drive.
BUT, since the Vette is mid-engine, I assume it doesn't have a typical driveshaft (I assume)... So I would think it would have less inertia and frictional losses. Maybe this results in a higher reported power?

Plus the J1349 standard states that the power is measured at steady state and they measured a wide open throttle roll on.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

-M54- wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:56 pm I wish the dyno sheets had the correction factor on them to understand the temp/air pressure during testing.

Anyways, when they converted wheel HP to crank HP, they used the typical 15% factor for rear wheel drive.
BUT, since the Vette is mid-engine, I assume it doesn't have a typical driveshaft (I assume)... So I would think it would have less inertia and frictional losses. Maybe this results in a higher reported power?

Plus the J1349 standard states that the power is measured at steady state and they measured a wide open throttle roll on.
GM has claimed less than 15% frictional loss, did not know the J1349 standard. That’s an obvious flaw in the dyno testing. I’m confused though why the Ram was fairly close?
Thank you for the insight exactly what I was looking for.