Moderator: Team

tt 383
Expert
Expert

C8 Corvette dynos high???

Post by tt 383 »

Wondering if anyone has any input on what happened here in this article:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ch ... power-dyno

Any insight as to what may have went wrong in their dyno session or if a correction factor can be applied to dyno numbers considering the gear ratio, or would that need to be done on the actual run? Simplistically I look at it as a 4.7% difference from 1:1 so take about 25hp off. Factory ringer? Did they use the new 6.6 truck rotator instead of the 6.2? Maybe they used the Hot Cam they have? Let the conspiracies commence lol...
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: C8 Corvette dynos high???

Post by midnightbluS10 »

That was odd, to say the least. From 5th to 6th gear, hp goes down, yet torque goes up. How the h*ll does that happen?? I'm curious as to why it dynoed so high and whether any more C8s will test that high.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:30 am That was odd, to say the least. From 5th to 6th gear, hp goes down, yet torque goes up. How the h*ll does that happen?? I'm curious as to why it dynoed so high and whether any more C8s will test that high.
Ya I dont know much about dynos, what can be manipulated or why a specific correction like was used could be at all. Hmm I wonder if they put it on a smog machine what they find....
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

The biggest problem I have is that we don't get all the information in articles written to incite nor do we get to ask questions so the real answer is we'll never know.
We don't know the roller diameter or surface texture, rate of sampling, the software smoothing, the correction factors etc.
We don't know what the engine is doing, temp, AFR, timing, loads, EGT's, etc...
We don't even know how many back to back runs for ABA testing and we weren't there for the SAE conversations and we weren't there to write the damn article either. Most important we don't know who paid for the article.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Bingo...who knows whats accurate anymore I pay 0 attention do dyno #s anymore.
Neat ride....they forgot to finish the back of it...again.
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

Quite simply those dyno numbers are pure BS. Look at the torque/cu in ratio. A dyno is and has to be an accurate tool for real engineering. But that one (and a lot) give good magazine/internet numbers.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Tires are slipping on the rolls. Need to do this with a hub dyno.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Ken_Parkman wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 pm Quite simply those dyno numbers are pure BS. Look at the torque/cu in ratio. A dyno is and has to be an accurate tool for real engineering. But that one (and a lot) give good magazine/internet numbers.
I agree something seems off, but then they put the Ram on and kind of confirm accuracy somewhat even though it was a little high too. Anxious to see what cars actually delivered to owners do. I dont think this was intentional on their part to create anymore buzz as their has been enough about the car already.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

cv67 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:21 pm Bingo...who knows whats accurate anymore I pay 0 attention do dyno #s anymore.
Neat ride....they forgot to finish the back of it...again.
I'm gonna take a guess that you're at least 50 years old?

You realize if GM didn't change the Corvette, there would be no customer base once all of the older guys and current customers die, right? Young people don't like "old guy Corvettes" so they needed to update it. And they did. It's pretty obvious to me they're trying pretty hard to attract younger buyers so they they don't run out of customers in the next 2 decades because they're still selling the same cars to 60/70/80 yr old guys.

Continuing to build rwd Corvettes with round taillights and hideaway headlights spells a sure death for the Corvette brand.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

60-70 yr old dudes are the guys who can afford them lol

Its pretty common to see hp and tq differences in different gears on some non loaded dynos. But these numbers arent real. Show me the time slip
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Orr89rocz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 am 60-70 yr old dudes are the guys who can afford them lol
I see many young guys in new Diesel pu trucks, they are in the basic model Vette price range...They don't want newer Vettes because it's associated with gray heads and new models may or may not change that...And perhaps the insurance cost?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Truckedup wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:43 am
Orr89rocz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 am 60-70 yr old dudes are the guys who can afford them lol
I see many young guys in new Diesel pu trucks, they are in the basic model Vette price range...They don't want newer Vettes because it's associated with gray heads and new models may or may not change that...And perhaps the insurance cost?
Thats a different scene all together. Urban offroader, but some of them do take them trucks out. Truck is way more practical as a daily tho. Guys with vettes need a separate vehicle as a daily esp in the snow states
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Orr89rocz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 am
Thats a different scene all together. Urban offroader, but some of them do take them trucks out. Truck is way more practical as a daily tho. Guys with vettes need a separate vehicle as a daily esp in the snow states
I'm speaking from a rural point of view..Most I know won't risk a 60K truck for any real off road driving,it's partially a staus symbol just like a Vette is for some...They might buy a Mustang or Camaro but not a Vette...At the same time in my opinion,40,000 or so new Vettes sold every year will stay about the same..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

Its pretty common to see hp and tq differences in different gears on some non loaded dynos. But these numbers arent real. Show me the time slip
The new Fad is no time racing so I guess nobody cares what a car runs except the guy with the most money. Heck with no time racing. Like watching Paint dry.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Orr89rocz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 am
Trucks are way more impractical as daily drivers unless you live out where there is no traffic.

The roads in my neighborhood are narrower than a Raptor is wide. Basically you have to be a self entitled d-bag to want to drive one around here, not caring how much you are inconveniencing everyone else. And I don't even live in New England where things tend to be REALLY packed thanks to cities having been around since the 1700s.

Winter tires make C5s completely livable in the winter, not sure about the newer ones yet.