Bigger lifter bores gen 1 sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Bigger lifter bores gen 1 sbc

Post by Little Mouse »

I have both a 68 and 70 year model blocks lying around they checked out ok to use. I'm one of those that just likes the simplicity of the solid flat tappet cams. Is there enough material strength around the lifter bores to use a .904 size flat tappet. Just eyeballing them it looks like it might work.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro
Re: Bigger lifter bores gen 1 sbc

Post by Charliesauto »

Little Mouse wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:15 pm I have both a 68 and 70 year model blocks lying around they checked out ok to use. I'm one of those that just likes the simplicity of the solid flat tappet cams. Is there enough material strength around the lifter bores to use a .904 size flat tappet. Just eyeballing them it looks like it might work.
Yes
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

What is the application? Max rpm and what valvespring pressures do you intend to use? Big lifter bores are not low hanging fruit in hp per $ with SFT until you are pushing the envelope a bit.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

If I tell you the application you will all hate me lol. Just want to do very high rpm 337. O60 over 327 using a 1970 block I have it does have the slightly better
Nodular caps on it. Will have to be kept at pump gas compression despite the loss. Hell if your doing a 327 you already picked a loss in power lol. As far as the cam no doubt when it comes time to get it will be contacting mike jones for it. Will want proferial cam core and use a little lighter hollow stem valves and will want to use springs that are light in weight but good enough for the job and tool steel retainers.While at it talk about cam stuff can an LS firing order be done on a flat tappet cam. My understanding that fireing order is easier on the crankshaft and bearings. Only 327 I built many moons ago was .030 over at . I'm considering the thought of using a fill in the block only up to the bottom of the freeze plugs, should help stiffen the thin bores some. Want to use iron heads going to do darts 49cc chamber 21 1/2 degree with most likely mahls 21 degree pistons. Tires should end up 29 dia. Will do at least 4.56 rear but most likely at that dia. Beleive will do 4.88. Have CDL license so a car that might do135 or so on the freeway a no no get me in trouble. So will just run to 80 or so for my jollies and take it to the strip few times a year. I'm old school high rpms on the freeway does not bother me. Not like the car will be daily driver.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Will do this.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Watch fleabay for Ti valves....I bought two sets for about $75.00/16 a couple years ago. Xceledyne brand. 6/7 mm stems.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

Little Mouse, from reading your posts my thread may interest you.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... d.1085889/
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

SMITHBERGRACING wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:00 pm Little Mouse, from reading your posts my thread may interest you.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... d.1085889/
Ya cool build.