Holley throttle shaft bushings or ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Holley throttle shaft bushings or ?

Post by Krooser »

Looking at the 4781 alky carb that I recently bought I noticed the throttle shafts are somewhat loose in the base plate. Years ago we bushed these shafts but it looks like that isn't done anymore. Holley wants to sell you new shafts or a complete throttle body (base plate). I spoke to Holley's "tech line" but the 12 year old skater that answered really didn't have any answers.

So what are my alternatives to buying $300 worth of parts?

BTW....what is "throttle ribbon"...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Re: Holley throttle shaft bushings or ?

Post by bill jones »

---some Holley throttle shafts are machined about 3/8" wide and about .015" or so smaller---and these ribbons are a thin flat piece of Teflon that are folded and fitted into and surrounding those machined recesses as you are re-installing the shaft.

--this link shows and maybe talks about some---has the dimensions etc

https://quadrajetparts.com/teflon-throt ... -1821.html

-----------------------------------------------
---this link shows an adaption of that idea being used on a quadrajet---to give you a little better idea
http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/Q_Jet_bushings.html
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

^^^^^ excellent info Bill, thanks for the links
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I had a hunch that was the purpose of the "ribbon" but Holley's webpage makes no mention of their purpose.

Thanks Bill... I appreciate that info.
VMC
Pro
Pro

Post by VMC »

I can (correctly) bush the base for you if you'd like. Shoot me a PM if you want.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Depending on the shaft diameter you can use a K-Line liner and do a basic broach then hone fit the shaft
to suit what ever wear it has. I have done it on tons of carbs but if the shafts are worn real bad then its easier
to just get a pair if shafts and fit them. It may also be more convenient to just get a billet base plate for
the cost of what they sell for these days its hard to justify the labor to repair a worn shaft fit.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

With a quick Google search for 'holley throttle shaft bushings", you find numerous results from many different places that offer bushings as well as a full repair service. Pick your choice of distributor or repair shop get it done.

Here's one example

https://www.carbjunkys.com/Throttle-Sha ... er-kit.htm
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

--this shows the Teflon strips wrapped around the recesses of the throttle shafts.

https://www.getfast1.com/PER-4733-Set-o ... _5253.html
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Around 1999-2000 in the early days of Ebay, I was buying Holley cores for short money ,rebuilding them and reselling......The genuine Holley kits I used always included teflon shaft bushings...Easy to replace once you get the throttle plate screws removed..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

The strips tend to try your patience getting the shaft back in. Unless somebody has a tip to share. :D
Jim
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

77cruiser wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 pm The strips tend to try your patience getting the shaft back in. Unless somebody has a tip to share. :D
Roll the strips around a 1/8" rod to 'shrink' them down, that way they stay fairly tight around the shaft.
DON'T PANIC
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Not sure how I missed all the Google search results...thanks.

This carb has seen plenty of laps.

The base plate has one ear welded and repaired. I used some 80 grit cloth glued to a piece of glass to get it flat.

I found ab 850 base plate for around $135.00. Comes from Allstate Carbs on Long Island. I'm guessing it's Chinesium in their box. Might be Ok don't know. I wonder if any of you guys have dealt with them.

As on old geezer I'm likely to make more "Grandpa repairs" to save a few bucks and make the carb as good as I can get it.

I saw a guy selling the shaft bushings and reamer with the caveat " not for diecast base plates"....huh.