General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

4.3 GM Crank Options

Post by ProPower engines »

Hey guys,
Does anyone know of a manufacture that does 4.3 V-6 cranks? With splayed journals is fine.
And of those which are not a custom order?
This is for a special application. It will be boosted to a max of 10 lbs but really more like 6-7 lbs.
I have not tried all the crank makers yet I thought this would just save some phone calls.

Eagle has rods that are for stock journal size that will work but no cranks available. Seems the common makers only do customs and best was a 16-20 week lead time which I get but looking for a decent off the shelf crank either stock stroke or longer but pistons will be custom anyway.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated =D>
Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Re: 4.3 GM Crank Options

Post by tt 383 »

Would the crank from an Ecotec3 4.3 be a possibility? This says its a forged piece. I dont know if it shares anything since its on LT1 architecture. Maybe a full takeout would be more worth your wile and sell what you have? https://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/4-3l-lv1.html Just a thought. Scat did have their premium 9000 casting but I think thats discontinued. Maybe ask around about that?
Here is a an Ecotec somewhat tuned through an auto
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Pretty sure newer V6 4.3L LV1 is very different than old 4.3L such LU35

like difference between old sbc 350 L31 & newer LS1

pretty sure LV1 has 3.62" stroke
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

rebelyell wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:11 pm Pretty sure newer V6 4.3L LV1 is very different than old 4.3L such LU35

like difference between old sbc 350 L31 & newer LS1

pretty sure LV1 has 3.62" stroke
Kind of what I thought, being direct injection. Seems to have a good bit of potential with some secondary fueling, or maybe a cam with more pump lobe. Just a thought if a decent crank isn’t cheap and want to keep the v6 theme. Of course the 3800 series l67 are pretty stout too as another alternative. I’m kind of surprised at the lack of support for 4.3 when it was used in Busch for a time. Good luck OP with your search!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

The busch series engines were different.
They were based on the buick V6 race version which differs from the GM chevy 85-up 4.3 version found in trucks+astro vans
and there was other applications.
Eagle and scat both used to support this platform although eagle still had a decent rod available there is nothing
other then custom billet cranks I have found so far.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

What engine are you using? The stock crank will likely work fine. The GMC Syclone & Typhoon guys regularly put 20+ psi through their stockish and modified engines on stock, 1991/2/3 4.3L LB4 TBI cranks. When the only aftermarket cranks are $2500+, you make do with what you have. Stock Syty cranks with 4 bolt mains have been run to the 10s fairly reliably over the past 25+ years.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

This may be of some interest. I'd start looking for this "8640" crank posted in the thread below. Identified as a marine 4.3L crank. I believe the entire part # is 14088640. One thing to pay attention to is that there are 2 versions that were installed into 4.3L's. A lightweight and a heavy crank and the rods & pistons do not interchange from one to the other. Many parts don't interchange from a Tonawanda built 4.3L and one built in the Romulus plant.

There's an article that covers every single change made on these engines. Search Google for "Holy grail of 4.3L info" and feast your eyes on the info obtained. The name of the article is actually
Rebuilding the New Chevy 262, Doug Anderson, Automotive Rebuilder, April 2000

http://www.sytyforums.com/index.php?thr ... ft.107081/

It would benefit you to spend some time there reading. That's the mecca of 4.3L turbo engines. Also join the Syclone & Typhoon Facebook group and ask questions there. After 25+ years, there's some real smart guys there that know a lot about these engines in boosted form. Even 20 years ago, cranks were not an easy part to get. No one supports the 4.3L(today or 20 years ago) so most times, it was syty guys developing parts for these trucks/engines. Not cranks, per se, but everything else pretty much. For example, Mike Lee, an owner himself, at Race Proven Motors supported that community for decades. You could try and contact Sean Krupa and see if he has a line on a crankshaft. He's another vendor for these trucks. His dad, Rick, did it 20 years ago and now Sean has gotten that bug too.

It's almost easier to find an oddfire 4.3l crank than it is to find a stock-style evenfire aftermarket crank. At least it was back in the day. Lol
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:29 am This may be of some interest. I'd start looking for this "8640" crank posted in the thread below. Identified as a marine 4.3L crank. I believe the entire part # is 14088640. One thing to pay attention to is that there are 2 versions that were installed into 4.3L's. A lightweight and a heavy crank and the rods & pistons do not interchange from one to the other. Many parts don't interchange from a Tonawanda built 4.3L and one built in the Romulus plant.

There's an article that covers every single change made on these engines. Search Google for "Holy grail of 4.3L info" and feast your eyes on the info obtained. The name of the article is actually
Rebuilding the New Chevy 262, Doug Anderson, Automotive Rebuilder, April 2000

http://www.sytyforums.com/index.php?thr ... ft.107081/

It would benefit you to spend some time there reading. That's the mecca of 4.3L turbo engines. Also join the Syclone & Typhoon Facebook group and ask questions there. After 25+ years, there's some real smart guys there that know a lot about these engines in boosted form. Even 20 years ago, cranks were not an easy part to get. No one supports the 4.3L(today or 20 years ago) so most times, it was syty guys developing parts for these trucks/engines. Not cranks, per se, but everything else pretty much. For example, Mike Lee, an owner himself, at Race Proven Motors supported that community for decades. You could try and contact Sean Krupa and see if he has a line on a crankshaft. He's another vendor for these trucks. His dad, Rick, did it 20 years ago and now Sean has gotten that bug too.

It's almost easier to find an oddfire 4.3l crank than it is to find a stock-style evenfire aftermarket crank. At least it was back in the day. Lol

Yes read all that but I am very familiar with the 4.3 engines interchangeabilitys I build many per year for marine
applications as well as oil industry pumps.

I was just hoping to locate a better then stock crank for less then $3500 us for a custom billet.
They were made years back but have been drop out of production as most favored the V8 upgrade when looking for
more power.
Yes the earlier boosted applications were decent in the day for what they were but again lack of after market support
made then harder to locate good parts for.

I think we will be just getting a fresh crank from GM to start off with and working from there. The main issue
using a stock crank is the newer lighter bob weight needed but thats not really an issue unless only mixing stock parts.

But the thought of a new build with a old used crank was not wanted to be part of the plan if there is something
new that can be used.