Single 44 idf weber on chevy inline six

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Re: Single 44 idf weber on chevy inline six

Post by chevyfreak »

Also had time to finish the other intake to use the 2 dgv webers.
Over here the 153 chevy came with a weber intake on the h.o models. Took 2 of those, some cutting and welding and machining to get it done. Will give this one a try on the 266.
Gonna use 2 x 32/36dgv carbs.

Chevyfreak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowtie for life
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:D Huge thumbs up, chevyfreak! That's a beautifully conceived and executed intake! Love it! I'm sure you will be very happy with the performance on your 266 inline 6.

How are your 32/36 DGV caburettors jetted at present and which emulsion tubes are you running? First car I ran one of those on was a 1600cc (98 cu. in.) Toyota 2TC hemi 4-banger. Ran great. I know the 32/36 progressive opening carb with 26mm/27mm fixed choke size was slightly more than I needed for that size engine because when I had it flat out in 5th gear OD, I still had a bit of pedal left after I reached max speed it would run in top gear on a level highway. So a pair of them should be very close to optimal sizing for your 266.

FWIW...... In addition to the 3 carb intake with 36 DCNF carbs, I am also working up a 2 carb setup for the 292 running Weber 36 DCNVH carbs. Will be running 29mm choke tubes. The 2 carb intake will require less lateral space than the long runner 3 carb intake and will allow me to get the engine in place without the clearance issues to my steering column (and the power brake booster I want to add). I must say that I envy you your RHD there, as my LHD car will be pretty crowded on the drivers side with intake and exhaust and clutch linkage and steering all competing for space.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

enigma57 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:34 am :D Huge thumbs up, chevyfreak! That's a beautifully conceived and executed intake! Love it! I'm sure you will be very happy with the performance on your 266 inline 6.

How are your 32/36 DGV caburettors jetted at present and which emulsion tubes are you running? First car I ran one of those on was a 1600cc (98 cu. in.) Toyota 2TC hemi 4-banger. Ran great. I know the 32/36 progressive opening carb with 26mm/27mm fixed choke size was slightly more than I needed for that size engine because when I had it flat out in 5th gear OD, I still had a bit of pedal left after I reached max speed it would run in top gear on a level highway. So a pair of them should be very close to optimal sizing for your 266.

FWIW...... In addition to the 3 carb intake with 36 DCNF carbs, I am also working up a 2 carb setup for the 292 running Weber 36 DCNVH carbs. Will be running 29mm choke tubes. The 2 carb intake will require less lateral space than the long runner 3 carb intake and will allow me to get the engine in place without the clearance issues to my steering column (and the power brake booster I want to add). I must say that I envy you your RHD there, as my LHD car will be pretty crowded on the drivers side with intake and exhaust and clutch linkage and steering all competing for space.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
Hi harry.
Thanks.
Against importing a clifford intake i'm still about a 1/8 of the price with this intake.
At this stage the 32/36 webers is stock jetting for the 2L ford pinto engines. Havent checked but will do before i commision them, I figured a good place to start with the 2L specs as i'm running 2 off them on a engine basically double in size. So for a starting place it should be okay. Will see how it goes when i get to running them on the 266. No rush there as i must still change cam and have radiator repaired,

On the rhd it gives more space on left side of engine in this body. Labeled here as a chevrolet eltoro , is actually a holden hq one tonner where the hq ute were labeled over here as a elcamino. Here i have plenty space, in the opel bodies its another story, with the starter on rh the steering box is a problem and the opels utilize a front sump oilpan. Luckily gmsa used the chevy inline 4 and 6 in them so sumps not a issue. But spares a headache as it was done 40 years ago, so takes a bit of searching.

Happy to hear your 57 is coming along. Sometimes what we as builders have in mind is not always what will fit in the space we intend to fit it.
Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Chevyfreak, of course only running both manifolds with same carburettors on same engine would give the full picture...... But FWIW...... I believe your cut and welded 2 carb intake is a more efficient design than a store bought 2 carb intake such as the Clifford. The Clifford is a good design. but the very features that aid flow over other 2 carb intakes result in increased plenum volume which in turn results in less carb signal and softer throttle response off idle and when accelerating out of tight turns at lower engine speeds. Mid-range and higher engine speeds, both would probably be close to equal. At least from a design standpoint.

I hear you regarding the space issue with my LHD car and the Chevy engine having intake and exhaust on drivers side. Had I thought about it more before starting, I may have begun with a 300 cu. in. Ford truck inline 6. These have the intake and exhaust on the other side of the engine. I built one of those and swapped it into a '65 Chevy II station wagon many moons ago along with a Mustang T-5 transmission and it was a good runner. Clifford at the time made a 3 carb intake for circle track cars. It was intended for running 3 Holley 2bbl carbs. I ran 3 Weber 32/36 Weber carbs on it at the time, but as the intake design lends itself to adding a center divider to each of the 3 plenums and the Ford has a 12-port head...... If I had one today, I would add the dividers and make it a true IR intake and run the larger 42 DCNFcarbs I have here. Haven't seen one of those intakes since the '70s when I bought one from Jack Clifford. It had been sitting in the back of his warehouse for years and when I unpacked it, it had a long dead mummified rat inside. :shock:

However, the die is cast as they say. Plan is to soup up the siamesed port 292 Chevy tractor/truck/bus engine and drop it into the '57 sedan. It should run fine for the trucklike duties I intend. Will just take a bit more effort regarding clearance issues when I install the long runner (wider) 3 carb intake one day.

Looking forward to hearing more about your 2 carb setup and how it works for you.

Best regards,

Harry
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

chevyfreak, real hot rodding is alive and well !

Are those the generic (non OE) Weber copies ?

If so, be interesting to see how you get on with them. Never used them myself, but have heard mixed reports, so feedback would be appreciated

Never used dual DGVs in that fashion personally but from someone I spoke to who has apparently staging the secondaries, so they opened exactly, was part of getting the whole set up to 'feel' right ..... but you probably know that anyway
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

BCjohnny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 am chevyfreak, real hot rodding is alive and well !

Are those the generic (non OE) Weber copies ?

If so, be interesting to see how you get on with them. Never used them myself, but have heard mixed reports, so feedback would be appreciated

Never used dual DGVs in that fashion personally but from someone I spoke to who has apparently staging the secondaries, so they opened exactly, was part of getting the whole set up to 'feel' right ..... but you probably know that anyway
Hi.
Yip, i really enjoy doing stuff like this, if it doesnt work then i learn something from it, edison didnt invent the bulb right away, instead he found two thousand ways how not to build the light bulb. And its s wow factor at shows.
Yes they are copies. They are dorco brand. I bought these 2 new for the price of a second hand original weber. I have checked everything when i got them. Exactly the same as the normal 32/36 dgas webers and these came with electric chokes, which i removed as my airfilter doesnt fit. I never use chokes anyway so it doesnt bother me.
Currently i am buzy in doing the linkage and making them adjustable so i can dial them in correctly. Takes time as everything needs to be manufactured to suit. But thats part of doing something against the norm.
I do however have a copy for the rochester monojet also from dorco and out the box it was just idle screw and stop adjustment.
Runs very nice. Been 2years now and no issues on it.

There is chinese copies of some webers on ebay. The idf in above image is one of them. All matches the weber parts. Will still see how it tunes when i get the fuel lines done and get ready for start up.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life