Sbc G1 and G2 trick flow heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Sbc G1 and G2 trick flow heads

Post by Little Mouse »

Anyone worked over the twisted wedge G1 heads made them work, ported them for more airflow. Trick flow claimed the G2 head would flow 257 at .600 lift.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Sbc G1 and G2 trick flow heads

Post by Schurkey »

1. Gen 1 heads need special intake rocker arms. Comp Cams has four part numbers. 1607, 1608, 1609, 1610. You'd need eight of whichever part number you choose.

2. There've been reports of Gen 1 spring seats not being true to the valve guide ID. Causes spring problems

3. The Gen 1 heads have a very wide combustion chamber. Doesn't work with small-diameter fire rings on some head gaskets.

Beyond that--I can't help you. I have a few sets, including an un-used set still in the boxes--but I haven't modified them.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Schurkey wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:00 pm 1. Gen 1 heads need special intake rocker arms. Comp Cams has four part numbers. 1607, 1608, 1609, 1610. You'd need eight of whichever part number you choose.

2. There've been reports of Gen 1 spring seats not being true to the valve guide ID. Causes spring problems

3. The Gen 1 heads have a very wide combustion chamber. Doesn't work with small-diameter fire rings on some head gaskets.

Beyond that--I can't help you. I have a few sets, including an un-used set still in the boxes--but I haven't modified them.
Have read about the valve spring seats and it needs a backset rocker on the intake valve, uses raised pushrod guide plates shorter then stock length valves. Do you know what the reason is for the shorter valve length on both the intake and exhaust valve ? They had iron guides. Have to use low duration and lift cam with them. Not sure how well the 13 degree intake valve angle could work right without the runner raised up. I think they were made during late 1980s early nineties what do the chambers look like ?
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

There was someone on here that was saying big gains just removing the ramp like 280-290? Here are the instructions I was emailed a long time ago. If that attachment doesnt work I can email if you like just drop me a pm.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I was interested in these at one time- didn't work out like the Ford version did it.
68post

Post by 68post »

I would believe these could have an advantage with a small bore ! ? The info from those that have ported them seems to point to high flow from slightly smaller ports than the norm IMHO.

Maybe I should install my set of these G1's on my proposed ; light duty/mileage master/torquey 307 ? But the adv 63cc chambers are larger that what I'd prefer, (I'd like 54cc - from my basic guesstimates ).
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Gen 1 has 2.02/1.60 valves that will clear a 305 bore.

I'm not saying it's efficient, or the valves aren't shrouded. But they'll clear, up to some amount of lift.

Again, the combustion chamber is very wide, so the fire ring has to be pretty big. I wanted to use steel shim gaskets, but the embossed fire ring would overhang the bore in places.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

The more I think about it would like to have a set of the G2 heads