What's with these goofy SBC rocker arms?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: What's with these goofy SBC rocker arms?

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:57 pm
turbo camino wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:17 am Application is standard spacing conventional small block Chevy. They are listed as being for 3/8" studs. Stock photos don't show any other parts included. No stands or pedestals or anything else. Apparently, you just drop them over a pair of rocker studs, adjust them, and go. I also don't see how it's feasible without something solid to bolt them down to, you're not alone.

You guys asked for it, I tried not to do it: https://www.ebay.com/183979480636

I'm not a pro, but I've used several sets of quality stainless stud-mount rockers and they all had inserted pushrod seats. If Comp and Crower have to do it that way I really doubt the Procomp copy artists have discovered the secret of making it work without hardened inserts. Of course, there's nothing but stock photos for any of the offshore junk, the actual as-delivered product could have inserts. Some of their stock photos look suspiciously like CAD renderings and not even photos of a real-world object so who knows what you might find when you open the box.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-SBC-350- ... 3979480636

This is the market conforming to what it's customers will buy.

$119 ?! Even if they are junk, making those parts, and packaging and getting them to retail for $119 is an astonishing feat.

They look similar to some samples I had from PRW.
Most people had a negative impression of PRW, but compared to the rest of the samples from other 8 or so vendors, if they didn't fail, they were probably the best value.
They never got tested, but that was just because other priorities prevailed.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I'm not 100% sure, but the rockers in Kevin's link appear to have cast pushrod sockets! #-o

Time for one of my favourite quotes: "There is no product or service that can't be made cheaper and worse."
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

MadBill wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:15 pm I'm not 100% sure, but the rockers in Kevin's link appear to have cast pushrod sockets! #-o

Time for one of my favourite quotes: "There is no product or service that can't be made cheaper and worse."
Yes, the pushrod seats were the major flaw, other than overall design, that I noticed too. I don't think any kind of stainless, either really good or incredibly questionable, would survive direct contact there. Stamped steel, carburized, hard as a coffin nail stock rockers handle that fine. But mystery offshore recycled-sewer-pipe 'stainless'? No thanks.

Sorry about mangling the ebay link, I mistakenly deleted the /itm/ when cleaning the swarf from the URL.
DON'T PANIC
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

turbo camino wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:44 pm Yes, the pushrod seats were the major flaw, other than overall design, that I noticed too. I don't think any kind of stainless, either really good or incredibly questionable, would survive direct contact there. Stamped steel, carburized, hard as a coffin nail stock rockers handle that fine. But mystery offshore recycled-sewer-pipe 'stainless'? No thanks.

Sorry about mangling the ebay link, I mistakenly deleted the /itm/ when cleaning the swarf from the URL.
I love it

"I know Lets spec some "mystery offshore recycled-sewer-pipe 'stainless'?""
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

This is more like what I'd expect for a paired-rocker-on-a-common-shaft concept, these are for the LS:
https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/ ... 2/10002/-1

There must be other parts included with the SBC rockers that aren't shown in the photos. Either that or it's a case of "It doesn't matter if it works or not as long as somebody is willing to buy it."
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I'm almost certain the SBC paired rockers wouldn't fit on anything. Since the rockers are on a common shaft they are no longer splayed out wider at the valve end and narrower at the pushrod end... if the pushrod seat and valve tip are inline as it appears, pushrod spacing is out at 1.865"ish like the stock valve spacing. All the pushrods would hit the head in a bunch of places and by a lot.

The photo(s) sure look like the rockers are symmetrical and the pushrod seats aren't offset inboard from the valve tips. They look like regular stud mount rockers slapped onto a common shaft. No worky!
DON'T PANIC