Mopar RB Crank Journal Spacing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Rick!
Expert
Expert

Mopar RB Crank Journal Spacing

Post by Rick! »

Does anyone know if distance between main journals 4 and 5 is the same as between journals 1 and 2?
I've got a two piece crank and a vernier and it's not quite the right equipment to make the measurements so I can complete the CAD model of it.
Thanks.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: Mopar RB Crank Journal Spacing

Post by BillK »

Rick,
I have several cranks at the shop. I will try to remember to measure a couple of them in the morning.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Most Race cranks are.

The OEM stuff was all over the place.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Diodedog
Pro
Pro

Post by Diodedog »

What is a two piece crank and why not just check the mains in the block, if the spacing is different on the crank the block will be spaced accordingly.
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

BillK wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:53 pm Rick,
I have several cranks at the shop. I will try to remember to measure a couple of them in the morning.
Thanks for the measurements, Bill, much obliged.

Diodedog, "two-piece" is another way of saying broken crank. The block, along with a new Bryant billet crank, is in Immokalee this weekend.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Rick! wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:39 pm
BillK wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:53 pm Rick,
Thanks for the measurements, Bill, much obliged.

Diodedog, "two-piece" is another way of saying broken crank. The block, along with a new Bryant billet crank, is in Immokalee this weekend.
What is your goal?
To make one?
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:43 am
What is your goal?
To make one?
My goal is to have a reasonably accurate CAD model so I can do a bunch of modals on it to understand what rpm the crank shouldn't be run. By reasonably accurate, I mean it will have the right physics but not be perfect enough to to send to CAM and make a crank. (It could be but there is minimal data I can find on the interwebs to place mains 1 and 5 perfectly and to mimic the angles of the cuts on the pork chops.)

Free-free modals are already done. Now I need to CAD up an ATI balancer and create a physically correct TC (inertia-wise) and simulate the mains and finish the analysis stuff. That will drop the torsional mode shown by a bit, I just need to know by how much as it's right at a shift point currently.

Image Image
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Rick! wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:41 am
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:43 am
What is your goal?
To make one?
My goal is to have a reasonably accurate CAD model so I can do a bunch of modals on it to understand what rpm the crank shouldn't be run. By reasonably accurate, I mean it will have the right physics but not be perfect enough to to send to CAM and make a crank. (It could be but there is minimal data I can find on the interwebs to place mains 1 and 5 perfectly and to mimic the angles of the cuts on the pork chops.)

Free-free modals are already done. Now I need to CAD up an ATI balancer and create a physically correct TC (inertia-wise) and simulate the mains and finish the analysis stuff. That will drop the torsional mode shown by a bit, I just need to know by how much as it's right at a shift point currently.

Image Image
Are you also including the attached objects?

Are you hoping to optimize angles of the CWs through modal analysis?
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

I always just go kinda high on the RPM then fix the broken parts and back off a few hundred RPM’s...LOL
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams