SBC late block with early oil pan

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tenxal
Expert
Expert
SBC late block with early oil pan

Post by tenxal »

What's out there for a non-one piece oil pan gasket for a 80-85 SBC block fitted with an earlier oil pan?

I've used the Fel Pro one piece unit that works with both side dipsticks but have been less than impressed with their sealing. Anyone using a traditional 4 piece gasket that works with this combination?

Thanks in advance! :)
steve316
Expert
Expert

Re: SBC late block with early oil pan

Post by steve316 »

I have bought two pan sets to get the gaskets needed for left hand starter SB2.2 block. May be a option for you.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

tenxal wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:06 pm What's out there for a non-one piece oil pan gasket for a 80-85 SBC block fitted with an earlier oil pan?

I've used the Fel Pro one piece unit that works with both side dipsticks but have been less than impressed with their sealing. Anyone using a traditional 4 piece gasket that works with this combination?

Thanks in advance! :)
As far as I know there are a few one-piece gaskets which have the dipstick tube seal-around on both sides.
An early oil pan will not fit on a one piece rear seal engine as the rear circle for the seal is smaller with a pre-86 oil pan.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

I am pretty sure the Fel Pro 1881 only has the RH dipstick.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

The Fel Pro OS34510T is what I've been using. I like a one piece gasket....just not the sealing of this one.

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

tenxal wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:36 pm The Fel Pro OS34510T is what I've been using. I like a one piece gasket....just not the sealing of this one.

Where are you seeing the leaks from.
There is 2 different timing covers and oil pans that GM used and the early cover does not work well with the later pan.
The early cover and pan used the thin front pan lip seal.
the later cover and pan used a thicker end seal. If you use an early cover and later pan with the later gasket its too
thick on the front of the pan and does not compress to seal properly. and vice versa #-o

The engine tech pan gasket mentioned is a very good choice and I to use them regularly and they seal very well.
For that mater they do not have that extra dip stick hole in them either keeping the weepies from the side of the pan
to an minimum in that area..

They are more compliant then the felpro gaskets on the front and rear end seal areas as well and seem to fit aluminum
timing covers much easier then the other options do =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

The timing cover is for the thick seal so no issues there. I wonder how many people have been tripped up by that lash up over the years? :?

In general, the Fel Pro gasket just weeps along the sides. The SHP blocks need a bit of sealer on the pan bolts to prevent leaks and that was done from the start. I've gotten around it by putting a bead of Valco around the perimeter of the pan but with the engine apart, it's time to do something different for a gasket. I may just weld the dipstick dimple closed on the pan and simplify that area. I understand the Mr Gasket 6560 is the same as the old Detroit Gasket unit that people had good luck with.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

The Reintz/Victor/Mahle OS32457 looks pretty good. A new Fel Pro feel sort of...slimy. :shock:
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Speedway Motors has a R.A.C.E. set that fits right and left dipsticks thin and fat front t- chain covers plus You get timing cover gasket water pump gaskets and a few other misc gaskets for 16.99 part#910-10230 worth a check . Dan
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

6.50camaro wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:18 pmSpeedway Motors has a R.A.C.E. set that fits right and left dipsticks thin and fat front t- chain covers plus You get timing cover gasket water pump gaskets and a few other misc gaskets for 16.99 part#910-10230 worth a check . Dan
Thanks for the tip. :)