ClassAct
Guru
Guru
Re: Jesel BUSHING lifters!!

Post by ClassAct »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 pm
ClassAct wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:05 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:02 am

To each his own, but after the testing I've done, I dont think I will ever run a bushing lifter......lol
BTW, the more you overlay the requirements of a Nascar engine, and apply the technology to a street/strip or bracket deal, the better off you'll be! :wink:

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I agree. The issue becomes getting Jody bopping down the block to do all, the things you can do and getting him to understand why it's worth while to do it.

So if some one is willing to do enough that I'm convinced that guy will do what he needs (most don't) to get a needle bearing lifter to live, then I'd do that. Most of the guys I deal with still think any synthetic oil is a waste money and when I tell them I use oil that costs 22 bucks a quart they flip their lid. Doesn't matter my savings in valve sprigs alone is worth that.

That's what I'm saying.

They don’t sound like the kind of people who would be paying the $$ for Jesel’s anyway.

LOL!!! No, they wouldn't pay for Jesel lifters but they will buy a Morel or an Isky lifter with a bushing. That's just funny though!!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Folks, i am aware that needle bearings have been applied to many different engines over the years. I wrenched on Kawasaki 900's in the 1970's which had roller (big needle) bearings on the main and rod journals. It is my understanding that needles have been (tried) on V-8 performance engines crank journals. This is my thinking on the lifter deal, (typical application) 250 to 350 lbs. on the seat 700 to 1000 lbs open. When the lash is taken up and the axle in the lifter is loaded against the needles the question ( no doubt impossible to answer) is how many needles are supporting the tremendous pressure applied, certainly a small amount. Then when you consider the EXTREMELY small contact area of the needle to the axle and lifter body surface, this to me is an area you better watch closely if you are running needles or bushings either for that matter. Mark H.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

IDK
Aren't there any OEM lifters around, what did they do to make them fail less & can they be modded to fit these old engines?
Won't engineered for looks aftermarket stuff last If under-stressed & cared for or even over-stressed in short bursts?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I have morel needle lifters. Had them out a while back. Lots of street miles, lots of idling. Currently 5000 miles on them. No issues to be found anywhere. However :
- lots of cool enough oil.
- HV oil pump
- rev kit
- meticulous valve lash checking and maintenance
- short oil filter and oil intervals.
- shaft rockers
- correct spring pressures
- rev limit well below max

Crossing fingers
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am I have morel needle lifters. Had them out a while back. Lots of street miles, lots of idling. Currently 5000 miles on them. No issues to be found anywhere. However :
- lots of cool enough oil.
- HV oil pump
- rev kit
- meticulous valve lash checking and maintenance
- short oil filter and oil intervals.
- shaft rockers
- correct spring pressures
- rev limit well below max

Crossing fingers
Just curious how do you know if you have the correct spring pressure?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I use what my cam manufacturer advised for my cam and valvetrain.