Rough HP Gain?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: Rough HP Gain?

Post by CGT »

ClassAct wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 am This nails it. I wouldn't change the CR that far and not change the cam. I'd be interested to see what MJ has to say about that. As in a CR change and whether or not to change the cam.
What would you change about the cam for a 1.5 point increase in compression?..interesting topic.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

there is no mention of cylinder head size,the super victor has a decent CSA
they match up ok to a 215 cc head from my experience.
1206 felpro etc,adding a spacer might not help without plenum work and at 6200rpm is a super victor the best option??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

CGT wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:02 pm
ClassAct wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 am This nails it. I wouldn't change the CR that far and not change the cam. I'd be interested to see what MJ has to say about that. As in a CR change and whether or not to change the cam.
What would you change about the cam for a 1.5 point increase in compression?..interesting topic.

I'm not exactly sure what I would change without seeing all the cam numbers for the cam he's already using, and then I'd contact someone like Mike Jones and double check with him. Unless the cam he has now is wrong for his CR.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Yes, with "only" 11:1 CR, the current cam may be have been specced milder than optimum for top end power to preserve adequate low to mid-range performance. A bump to 13.5 in conjunction with a longer duration cam chosen for peak RPM performance would significantly boost low RPM torque compared to the same cam with 11:1, improve knock resistance and provide maximum strip performance.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.