Gen3 Hemi 5.7 to 6.4 stroker

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Gen3 Hemi 5.7 to 6.4 stroker

Post by 6.50camaro »

Looking for more torgue when pulling my 9000 lb 20' enclosed trailer. Mulling around ideas of stroking my 5.7 to 6.4 keeping things as close to stock as possible .
Other than maybe injectors and adding headers what would have to be changed? Trucks is a 07 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 automatic w/quad cab. Dan
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: Gen3 Hemi 5.7 to 6.4 stroker

Post by mt-engines »

You would be better off doing an Edelbrock e-force supercharger for the money. And they only take about a day to install.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

6.50camaro wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:25 am Looking for more torgue when pulling my 9000 lb 20' enclosed trailer. Mulling around ideas of stroking my 5.7 to 6.4 keeping things as close to stock as possible .
Other than maybe injectors and adding headers what would have to be changed? Trucks is a 07 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 automatic w/quad cab. Dan
Have done several builds like that. the 5.7 block in most cases is very thick in the cyl.'s and boring to the 6.1 bore is just fine. The interansl from the 6.1 or any aftermarket crank will do the job but be aware of the tone ring on the new crank
needs to match the original. You can get replacements for the swap no problem.

If you want more then that the aftermarket sells a longer stroke shaft for the 6.1 to make 426 inches as well. The rods are GM based bearing and pin sizes for the rods bearings. Easy stuff to get. King makes nice coated bearings for that swap.
Use the larger stock cam but get the johnson lifters. Not hi-lift johnson been there never again.
They are what the dealers use and never fix the ticky issues some have. Push rods will need changing as they will need to correct the preload on the lifters to avoid noise.
The valve springs need to be addressed to the better 6.1 springs or better springs from your favorite spring makers.
There is more but you get the gist :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Thank for the advice valvetrain Pro Power . I was thinking along the lines of a Manley, Molnar or K1 kit. And possibly a cam designed to take advantage of the extra 46 cu.in. displacement for towing. Dan
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

mt-engines wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:41 pm You would be better off doing an Edelbrock e-force supercharger for the money. And they only take about a day to install.
I have not seen edelbrock kits for this gen truck motors just 09 and newer . Maybe they started making one since ilast checked. Dan
Last edited by 6.50camaro on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

6.50camaro wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 pm Thank for the advice valvetrain Pro Power . I was thinking along the lines of a Manley, Molnar or K1 kit. And possibly a cam designed to take advantage of the extra 46 cu.in. displacement for towing. Dan
I have used several of the manley kits and they are nice fitting just don't get the bearings with the kit.
The bearings are ordered after you have a chance to measure the crank and block and rods.
That way you don't settle for extra oil clearance when not needed. In stock form they are pretty tight but they run a much lighter oil then what guys think to use. That said the HL johnson lifters are weak and bleed down real fast regardless if
you ad more spring or use the stock springs for the 6.1 or what ever heads you run.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors