gnash
Do electric turbo chargers work???

Post by gnash »

BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Re: Do electric turbo chargers work???

Post by BLSTIC »

I mean clearly they do. But they require such a large amount of power that you can only use them intermittently at best. Kind of like a rechargeable nitrous system

If you had slightly too big of a turbo already installed it would make a good antilag setup.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Gas leaf blowers do too....
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Please explain why this Cleetus believes that is a turbocharger.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 pm Please explain why this Cleetus believes that is a turbocharger.
From the box... :D

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 pm Please explain why this Cleetus believes that is a turbocharger.
Not enough room on the snail to print "Supercharger"? :?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

you guys are nerds
of coorse it is technically an electro magnetical centrifugial compresador, but, for short we call it.....an electric turbo, probably cause it resembles that.

It's been possible for awhile now. I found suitable motors and parts to put one together. I had no doubt it would work, the question would be for how long.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

People don't call procharger belt driven turbos and they're the same thing only driven by a belt and a pulley(or directly crank driven with a crank drive).

Turbo uses exhaust gas to drive them. Pretty sure that's what defines it as a turbocharger. Without that, it's just an electric motor driven procharger.

Otherwise known as an eletric supercharger.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

5 or 6 years ago i thought it would be neat to electrify a standard turbo to aid spooling. But thought the oems would or already were on the case
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

The aforementioned "Cleetus" has built street driven junk in his shop that went 7.90s.

He does a lot of the goofball youtube stuff for laughs- and he gets them from me :D
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

It apparently needs a valve to bypass the electric supercharger when it is not activated.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The first electric supercharger I saw was in 1962. A guy I knew decided against my advice to hook up his heater blower to the aircleaner snorkel of his Austin Healy. Later i asked him how it had worked. "Not wortha s**t!" #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Not really an "electric turbo," but interesting none the less. The Porsche 919 LMP1 car had a Y pipe in the exhaust with one side going to a turbo and the other side driving a turbine generator that then supplied electricity to a motor driving the front wheels, essentially making it awd. There was a small battery (by electric car standards) that stored the energy, along with regenerative braking that further helped. Between the turbocharged 120 cu in V4 and the front electric motor it had over 1000 hp on tap, and "almost 1500" in qualifying trim when I talked to the crew chief about it.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:36 pm The first electric supercharger I saw was in 1962. A guy I knew decided against my advice to hook up his heater blower to the aircleaner snorkel of his Austin Healy. Later i asked him how it had worked. "Not wortha s**t!" #-o
My Dad picked up some kind of surplus industrial electric supercharger in the 1950s and used it with his Nash Rambler on the straight six. He reported that the fabric roof got sucked off at 140mph during a top speed run on the runways at Willow Run near Detroit (he lived in Romulus). I think he had extra batteries hooked up to run it. Got many tickets according to my Grandfather. :lol: My Grandfather said that at that time Telegraph Road did not have a fixed speed limit. My Cousin, who is of similar "vintage", said that unused sections of I94 (?) were used by racers before it was completed.

There was all sorts of interesting surplus equipment around post WWII. My Grandfather had an investment casting machine cabinet that was used to make small aircraft parts. He mounted a Jelenko system in it.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Maybe...
https://www.garrettmotion.com/

F1 was doing it in '14...