72 corvette heads, manifold, and camshaft questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GerryP
Re: 72 corvette heads, manifold, and camshaft questions

Post by GerryP »

It appears you are at SEMA, walking around with an open wallet and in an inebriated state. :(

You really have only two questions:

1) Can your planned assembly internally balance; Sure.

2) What manifold will work with your build and fit under the stock flat hood; Intake manifolds are not the source of great power differences until you get closer to the 1.5hp/c.i. power level. An Edelbrock Performer will work just fine and meet all your performance goals with the Quadrajet. Plus it will fit under the stock hood. I have a '72 and there is no room for any manifold taller than the iron Q-jet intake with the stock hood. Anyone suggesting otherwise has to be talking about a '68-'72 hood. '73 and later is inapplicable.

OPINION PART: Some of your build is a bit over the top of what your stated performance goals are. No harm in doing that if there's room in your budget for it. An unported AFR 195 head will work fine and give you room to grow should you want more down the road. There's also no tangible penalty with the slightly larger port. You might want to consult Camking (the site's owner) for a cam. You're a little tighter on the lobes that I would run for a pure street cam, but that's just me.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

sowen57 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:42 am Thanks for all the suggestions. But I have gone from asking about suggestions for a nice daily driver 383 to now building a dual quad, solid roller cammed engine that will require hood surgery to fit in the car. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the kind of engine I originally asked about?
Why wouldn’t you be in a Corvette forum asking this? Nothing against anyone here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3 ... tyleid=140
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

My Dad has a 55 chevy 210 2-dr post and just built a 6-inch rod 383 with a roller cam. Heads are Profiler 195s, rear axle is 3.08 with a 2.98 1st gear Auto Gear 4-spd (2.98/2.04/1.46/1.00).
Cruising RPM is ~2400rpm @65-70mph. Roller cam spec'd by Jones Cams was 227/232@ .050 and .375/.353 LOBE lift on a 110 LSA. Yeah its a little too much head; but Mike Jones knows his cams and I have faith it'll be just fine. If you're a hotpass member here, there is a discount for his and various others products/services. The savings on the cam would pay for the membership I do believe.
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

Thank you Gerry P, not sure if I enjoyed your post because you reaffirmed some of my thoughts or the chance to be drunk at sema. Not looking to spend more than required, but not unwilling to purchase what's needed. The 450 HP number is just that a number, I really enjoy driving this car a lot in good weather, and I have had any number of hot rods over the years and they were too loud or overcammed, and hard to tune, or the gear ratio was too steep and made it not enjoyable to drive on the highway, it was always something, that's not what I want for this car. I may be delighted with 375 HP I don' know for sure, but I needed to pick goals and these seemed reasonable. As for why I'm not on the Corvette forum, I thought the engine related technical expertise on this form is a bit higher. Feel free to recommend any alternative parts or specs given my parameters, you would use. Again thanks to all who have participated.
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

Autogear that sounds like a fine combination to me, I think you dad is going to really enjoy it, and Cam King is one of the people I hope to speak with before I finalize my combination.
fly442

Post by fly442 »

I have 355 sbc with 1972 z-28 heads and srp 11.0 pistons with 64cc and the 72 heads are 76cc so about 9.5 to 10.0 also has 5.585 rods.cam is a lunati hy cam .525 in 546 ex.victor jr intake.I know a lot of people like vortec heads but i have built 2 sbc with 76cc z-28 heads and dome pistons and both run real good
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

The family 68 vette that we had while I grew up had a Weiand dual plane with a Quadra jet on top and a basic drop base filter. The L88 drop base would have given us a little more room, but ours fit so we did not need more room. We used that same intake on three different engines over the years and thirty years later it still has it on. As far as power potential, I can’t answer that. I bet the strongest engine we ever had in it made 350 hp on its best day. I would imagine the fit in a 72 would be about the same. The 72 we had later sure looked identical as far as clearance accept that the 72 was all original (even the air cleaner housing was original).

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

here is a pic of a stinger scoop on a C3 like yours
http://somethingnewinc.com/69_Corvette_ ... n=download
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Weiand airstrike??isnt a bad piece at all. Dart and others make some not sure about hood clearance. You have drop base air cleaner?
Ported (and have on my car) a few Team Gs, with your gear do the dual plane
afr 180 would be my choice. TFS 175 double hump if you like that kind of thing.
HEI good 650cfm carb youll love it.
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

No stinger scoops, keeping the Q jet carb, probably a performer intake, RPM range 1800 to 5800. Hasn.t any one ever used a good Q jet great drivability, performance, mileage. I don't, mind spending money on things that need replacing, but buying an edelbrock, holley, weber, or whatever, for this build doesn't make sense to me. I will gladly entertain suggestions on cams heads modifying the performer intake for more airflow, piston, rod, crankshafts, thanks again for all of your takes on my build, please keep the suggestions coming.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

If the ports match with whatever heads you use, I would use the stock intake with the QJet.
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

I have the stock dual snorkel air cleaner, I may try to route cold air to the snorkels, also it has the tach drive distributor, which I will rebuild and convert to electronic ignition, any favorites Hays, Pertronix?
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

Thanks tuner that is an option just thought the performer would be a worthwhile upgrade, maybe 10 to 20 horsepower above 3500 RPM?
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

The Performer (and other similar intakes) and the factory iron Q-jet intake are, from a performance perspective, about the same. You'll lose a little weight with the alloy intake and that's really all there is there.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

The factory intake has better A/F distribution.