when are 3/4 grooved main bearings needed for bbc ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

digger
Guru
Guru
Re: when are 3/4 grooved main bearings needed for bbc ?

Post by digger »

Warp Speed wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:52 pm
digger wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:02 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 pm

Yep.

Say you got .0035 main clearance. What is it at the parting line? Probably .006-.007. Oil will take the path of least resistance. So now, you have GREATLY increased the flow through the engine, but very little of your increase, if any at all, is going anywhere important like the rod bearings.
Same thing with increasing main bearing clearance.
i'm not seeing how the full groove affects the flow out drastically maybe i'm thinking about it wrong , i can see if you increase the main clearance the oil will leak out more as least resistance but the full groove seems like it would have a relatively 2nd order effect on lowering overall resistance to leakage
The parting line has the most clearance. But any clearance at a pressurized area leaks. Now you have a 360* leak path, which in essence doubles it.
i'm not following, the limiting clearances that affect flow are are the same groove or not ?
the amount of surface area that has the clearance reduces with the groove which would flow a bit more.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

The amount of clearance has the by far most effect in how much oil is thrown off regardless of groove length. The amount at the parting line would be small.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Little Mouse wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:07 pm The amount of clearance has the by far most effect in how much oil is thrown off regardless of groove length. The amount at the parting line would be small.
Actually, the amount at the parting line is the greatest, as that's where the clearance is the most.
Going from a 140* groove to a 180* groove is a huge change in flow.
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

Gday Warp,
If i could get a quality stock stroke crank here in aus without selling kidneys i would.
I understand where you are coming from especially with your line of work
However im more than happy to put up with the issues it creates by running a full groove bearing.
My rod bearing life on 2 and 7 has increased out of sight, it isnt an issue touch wood.
If it took oil away from the rod bearing my rod bearing life would have gone down the tube not improved.
And i am also wrong because i run large .main clearances , remember this is old stuff, block and cranks, they move. This is my choice just like it is for other people.
I have seen more aftermarket 2 piece cranks than properly prepped oem cleveland ones, admittedly these are of chinese origin.
Have a look at what the motorcycle manufacturers do, have a look at the Suzuki hayabusa or kawasaki zx14, i have one apart at the moment , full grooved main bearings , they are a very impressive bit of gear.and the bearing clearances they use for the journal sizes are huge.
Cheers
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

tuffxf wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:25 pmIf i could get a quality stock stroke crank here in aus without selling kidneys i would ... admittedly these are of chinese origin.
Had to fix that for you! ;-)
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Warp Speed wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:22 pm
Little Mouse wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:07 pm The amount of clearance has the by far most effect in how much oil is thrown off regardless of groove length. The amount at the parting line would be small.
Actually, the amount at the parting line is the greatest, as that's where the clearance is the most.
Going from a 140* groove to a 180* groove is a huge change in flow.
Huum would not have thought that. Lot of area in a bearing for 360 degrees.
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Some interesting crank oiling information:

https://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-51- ... s-part-ii/

https://f1-forecast.com/pdf/F1-Files/Ho ... P2_08e.pdf
Interesting how they measured negative pressure in the crank oil passage due to centrifugal forces.
The hollow connecting rods are pretty trick too.

My question would be more basic:

Why are not all engine blocks "main priority" oiling?

Is it due to the reduction of machining ops in OEM blocks?
What about aftermarket blocks?
Why is the #4 main in a Hemi/RB most prone to damage from overloading?
This leads back to the grooved lower shell question as the voodoo fix is supposedly modifying the groove in the lower shell, "just like the top fuelers." :roll:
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Warp Speed wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:48 pm
ClassAct wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:45 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:08 pm

I'd try NOT using a 50 year old crank, and its inherent flaws, in a performance engine! Lol
Who is really going to be hammering on a true restoration, and if not for correct restoration purposes, why continue the mess in the first place?!?

What if it's not the crank? What if it's a relatively new aftermarket block? Again, I'm asking you the same thing...how would YOU fix an oil timing issue.

Again...waiting....
You're gonna have to be a little more precise than that, and I would be glad to help. But if your just gonna be an ass, keep waiting!
Btw, how does a block effect oil timing?!?

I'm not being an ass Jay. I'm asking a simple question.

So let me back up. You said use a different crank. We both know you are very limited on where the oil holes can go to get everything lined up at the correct time (oil timing). So how can a crank fix an oil timing issue?

If what I've said above is true, and it is, that also means the block has an affect on oil timing. The oil has to go through the block to get to the crank. That is a correct statement. You can't move the hole in the crank that far.

So again, I ask for those of us stuck with running junk (even though much of this junk was made well into the 2000's and may still be made today) how do we fix an oil timing issue without changing the block? A full groove bearing will out oil to the rods full time so there will be there all the time, even though the timing is off.

So the question is how do you fix this issue? Other than buying new parts?
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

ClassAct wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:17 pm
ClassAct wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:45 pm

What if it's not the crank? What if it's a relatively new aftermarket block? Again, I'm asking you the same thing...how would YOU fix an oil timing issue.

Again...waiting....
You're gonna have to be a little more precise than that, and I would be glad to help. But if your just gonna be an ass, keep waiting!

So let me back up. You said use a different crank. We both know you are very limited on where the oil holes can go to get everything lined up at the correct time (oil timing). So how can a crank fix an oil timing issue?

If what I've said above is true, and it is, that also means the block has an affect on oil timing. The oil has to go through the block to get to the crank. That is a correct statement. You can't move the hole in the crank that far.

So again, I ask for those of us stuck with running junk (even though much of this junk was made well into the 2000's and may still be made today) how do we fix an oil timing issue without changing the block? A full groove bearing will out oil to the rods full time so there will be there all the time, even though the timing is off.

All crank shafts in a 90* v8 are of the same basic architecture, so they will all accept the same "timing", be it good or bad!
And believe me, I've tested allot of timing and feed strategies over the years.
Block feed issues are a different story, but by applying modern oiling system knowledge (along with maybe some tubes or restrictors some place) I dont see many problems from past designs being too hard to overcome., or greatly improve to the point of being a nonissue in most all cases.
None that I can really remember anyway?!? Lol
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

I’m repeating myself, but doesn’t cross drilling the rod journals take out the oil timing issue completely? That is, with cross drilled rod journals, there’s always a path for the oil into the rod journal. In addition, unlike with cross drilled mains, cross drilled rod journals don’t cause high rpm issues. What’s wrong with my logic?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

ptuomov wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 am I’m repeating myself, but doesn’t cross drilling the rod journals take out the oil timing issue completely? That is, with cross drilled rod journals, there’s always a path for the oil into the rod journal. In addition, unlike with cross drilled mains, cross drilled rod journals don’t cause high rpm issues. What’s wrong with my logic?
Nothing really, and in some cranks, a similar strategy has been used. But timing is a 2 part story. First you have what postion the rod throw is in its cycle when it gets oiled, and where the oil exits the rod journal.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:13 am Nothing really, and in some cranks, a similar strategy has been used. But timing is a 2 part story. First you have what postion the rod throw is in its cycle when it gets oiled, and where the oil exits the rod journal.
I'm seeing almost all Japanese and German cranks that I've come cross drilled in the rod journals.

It's my understanding that the forces on the rod, rod bearing, and rod journal are such that no oil will flow into the rod bearing when the journal is pressing against the bearing directly at the oiling hole location. Inflow into the bearing only happens when there's some clearance at the oil hole location. Another way to say this is that the oil pressure in the bearing around the oil hole has to be smaller than the pressure in the oil flow for oil to flow out, not in. The oil pressures in the active film area pretty damn high, no?

While some oil flows out right away from the sides, I believe most of the outflow happens when the pressure (due to rod journal and bearing shell, not oil pressure) starts climbing and leak area declining, there being some sweet spot there. If this understanding is correct, the number of oil holes and oil hole location isn't that important for the oil out flow from the bearing, provided that the rod bearing gets enough oil. Of course, the amount that flows out can't be greater than the amount that flows in, so severe supply problems do reduce the outflow!

Not telling anyone this is the case, just explaining my thinking. Am I right?
Put Search Keywords Here
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Warp Speed wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:22 pm
ClassAct wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:17 pm

All crank shafts in a 90* v8 are of the same basic architecture, so they will all accept the same "timing", be it good or bad!
And believe me, I've tested allot of timing and feed strategies over the years.
Block feed issues are a different story, but by applying modern oiling system knowledge (along with maybe some tubes or restrictors some place) I dont see many problems from past designs being too hard to overcome., or greatly improve to the point of being a nonissue in most all cases.
None that I can really remember anyway?!? Lol

Thank you warp. That's what I meant earlier when I said there is very little wiggle room to fiddle with in the crank. The issues I've found is the oil timing is incredibly advanced on some engines. In fact, all of the engines I have listed above have very advanced oil timing. As RPM/load goes up, that advanced oil timing means that the oil is getting to the rods way too early.

Moving the hole in the crank far enough to retard the timing can be close to impossible with some engines, as the timing is so far off you can't move the holes in the crank far enough. So you can make it better by doing that, but not getting the timing correct.

There are many band aids tried to correct the timing issue at the block, but I've never really seen one that does it. You can slot the oil feed hole in the block, but the oil hole in the crank has to be lined up with the oil feed hole in the block within a pretty narrow range of degrees. Why certain engines will get after certain Rod bearings or pairs of bearings I've never been able to nail down. My assumption is it has to do with the entire feed system and the bearing(s) that fail are the ones with the most compromises in getting the oil down to the mains in the first place

I've seen any number of tubes, pipes, restrictions, re-routes and the like, but none really actually get the oil timing to the rods where it should be.

Priority main piling has nothing to do with the timing issue either. I hear guys claiming that the fix is to get priority main oiling and it will all be sunshine and rainbows. All priority main oiling does is oil the crank before anything else. Which is great. But it doesn't fix an oil timing issue that is very advanced.

Is any of this making any sense warp? Some of us don't have the luxury of a customer base who will buy and use stuff that has all this engineering worked out. That's why I still use full groove mains on any engine where the oil timing is whacked out. I even made a fixture so I can buy half groove bearings and finish the groove myself. I have made them for the Chrylser stuff, Ford, Pontiac and Buick.

That's why I'm saying in some certain circumstances a full groove main bearing has benefits that outweigh the obvious issues that occur. Engines using full groove mains have a much higher GPM than half groove bearings and all that that encompasses. I also always use a HV/HP pump when using full groove mains because that's the nature of the beast. Getting oil to the rods full time will cover up the wonky oil timing issue to a point. After that, you have to mechanically fix the timing issue, or reduce the RPM at which the failure occurs.

For those that don't understand oil timing and what I mean by advanced oil timing, grab a SBC block and crank and pick whatever flavor of incorrect oil timing block and crank you have access to and look at them very, very close. You'll see the difference between them and then you can understand how a run of the mill SBC will oil the rods to 10k plus and the rest of those engines would be lucky to oil past 7500.

Hopefully warp will read this and make sure I'm not totally insane and correct what I have wrong.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I have a billet crankshaft that was built for a reverse rotation engine. The oiling hole in the rod journal is in the what would be usual 1 o'clock-ish location for reverse rotation putting it at 11 o'clock-ish in standard location. I assume using as standard rotation is out of the question? Basically the hole will be under pressure from combustion pressure after TDC
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

BlitzA64 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:31 pm I have a billet crankshaft that was built for a reverse rotation engine. The oiling hole in the rod journal is in the what would be usual 1 o'clock-ish location for reverse rotation putting it at 11 o'clock-ish in standard location. I assume using as standard rotation is out of the question? Basically the hole will be under pressure from combustion pressure after TDC

That's correct. The oil should be at the Rod bearing after TDC