Vacuum for vac u pan

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Superstock

Vacuum for vac u pan

Post by Superstock »

I have a vac u pan system on my motor that doesn't draw very much vacuum, maybe 1" total if that according to my guage, what can I do to draw more vacuum , cannot use a vacuum pump according to the rules
zums
Guru
Guru

Re: Vacuum for vac u pan

Post by zums »

What style pick up do you have and where in the collector is it oriented, is the case sealed tight?
Tom
Superstock

Post by Superstock »

The pipe part is in the collector at a 45 degree angle with the notch cut in it just like " they" recommend and it is right above the 4 tubes that go into the collector
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

In his BBC book, David Vizard wrote about and showed a system he said was by far the best pan vac. he's ever seen. I forget the builder's name, but I believe he is/was a Speed-Talker. The system used a square cut ~ 5/8" tube angled in through the side of the merge collector and bending to run down the centerline to the throat. I believe it achieved ~ 6" Hg.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:47 am In his BBC book, David Vizard wrote about and showed a system he said was by far the best pan vac. he's ever seen. I forget the builder's name, but I believe he is/was a Speed-Talker. The system used a square cut ~ 5/8" tube angled in through the side of the merge collector and bending to run down the centerline to the throat. I believe it achieved ~ 6" Hg.
https://www.chevydiy.com/how-to-build-chevy-big-blocks-exhaust-system-guide/ wrote:If you are looking for the ultimate in evacupan performance, it’s time to get serious about the location of the extraction nozzle. My big-block building compatriot Mark Dalquist managed to get a draw of almost 9 inches Hg (which is 121 inches of water) by finding the sweet spot in the center of the collector among the primary pipes.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

That's the one Kevin! Encyclopedia Johnson delivers again! :D
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Superstock

Post by Superstock »

Thank you, I will find the book and study it. Still want to know if hooking it up along with a pcv valve will work or just repositioning the pipe will do everything by itself?
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Superstock wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:13 am Thank you, I will find the book and study it. Still want to know if hooking it up along with a pcv valve will work or just repositioning the pipe will do everything by itself?

I run both a pcv valve and a pan evac. No reason not to. Both do seperate things and both work together at cruise.
Superstock

Post by Superstock »

How much vacuum does your pcv vac u pan setup have and does it plumb into the back of the carb or the manifold?
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Superstock wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:54 pm How much vacuum does your pcv vac u pan setup have and does it plumb into the back of the carb or the manifold?

I haven't had time to check them both together yet, but the pan evac pulled 5 inches at WOT so that's all that will ever be. I was more concerned with part throttle stuff.

I'll get some time next spring to test them together.

I run the port on the back of the carb for pcv.
Superstock

Post by Superstock »

Thanks, there might be some leaks in my system, I can't get that kind of vacuum, actually would be happy with that, but I would like to keep working on this and see what I could actually achieve, it is an ongoing project for me to find the most efficient system, someone said they used smoke thru there system to find leaks, would like to find out about that
Superstock

Post by Superstock »

Has anyone tried different size hoses, like 1" or 1/2" and what difference did it make?
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

If you're not using a mechanical fuel pump why not plumb the inlet side of the biggest SOB mechanical fuel pump you can find to the crankcase as well?
Superstock

Post by Superstock »

Now were starting to think guys, great idea, unfortunately in using a belt drive and there isn't a way to hook up a mechanical pump, but thank you
Superstock

Post by Superstock »

Can someone tell me is a pcv valve set up with a vac-u-pan a better way to draw vacuum and how do you determine what pcv valve you need. Do you hook it up to the manifold runner or the base of the carburetor or a spacer under the carb? Thank You for your replys