Best Gen 1 SBC main bearing thrust oiling detail 4 manual transmission

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru
Best Gen 1 SBC main bearing thrust oiling detail 4 manual transmission

Post by Dan Timberlake »

I'll be helping a friend put together a nice street 400. The SCAT rotating assm kit comes with King bearings ( part number not avialable right now).

I know about recommendations for excellent non-grooved surface finish, and whacking/aligning/checking the cap for best contact.
I seem to recall his King bearings have a peculiar flange cut out at the parting line.

I'm thinking this application might really benefit from a couple of radial grooves on the flanges that face the clutch.
I'm picturing blind ended grooves that-
1 - Start at the ID and end before the flange OD
https://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j0 ... rings.webp

2 - are detailed to create a shallow wedge leading to the thrust face in the direction of rotation, similar to the intentional "lemon" shaped bore on rod bearings.

Suggestions? Top secrets for a street car with a fairly heavy clutch?

thanks,

Dan T
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro
Re: Best Gen 1 SBC main bearing thrust oiling detail 4 manual transmission

Post by Lizardracing »

Federal Mogul advertises a bearing that's tapered on the approach to help with the dynamic wedge for heavy clutchs and ON/OFF throttle applications so you probably thinking on the right track.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Just chamfer the parting ling or the rear main bearing and you will have pressurized oil sent to front and back, simple and effective
Tom
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:47 pmSuggestions? . . . for a street car with a fairly heavy clutch?
This from an old school guy, but one who no longer uses heavy spring pressure plates. There are so many better, less damaging, better driving options today; twin-disc, centrifugal assist, et al, I'd recommend he choose one of those options. Yes, also go with the F-M thrust bearing or modify the King, but just don't make its task more difficult that it has to be.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

zums wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:33 pm Just chamfer the parting ling or the rear main bearing and you will have pressurized oil sent to front and back, simple and effective
Tom
Been doing this for many years. Have not lost a thrust since.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

He'll be using the relatively new Centerforce clutch he already has. Reports are it is much heavier than the OEM clutch was.

I'll be curious to get a look at the thrust bearing in the ol' 350 in a year or so.

thanks all,

Dan T