New distributor gear...no roll pin holes??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
New distributor gear...no roll pin holes??

Post by travis »

My new Comp 435M distributor gear has no roll pin holes pre-drilled...is this normal? I thought there was always at least 1 side drilled :?

There was no paperwork included with the gear...how are you supposed to drill this thing correctly?
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: New distributor gear...no roll pin holes??

Post by lefty o »

easiest is to send it back and get another one that didnt miss QC.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I called comp cams...some dude with a name I couldn’t pronounce simply said “you need to call Summit” and hung up on me :x
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

travis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:37 pm I called comp cams...some dude with a name I couldn’t pronounce simply said “you need to call Summit” and hung up on me :x
call center in india most likely. summit will take care of you, but no one representing comp should be an azz like that.
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

Has Comp moved manufacturing to China? Everything is turning to sheet.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

So...apparently since I purchased the gear over a year ago, Summit won’t stand behind it either. Looks like I’ll be taking my money elsewhere from now on :x
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:58 pm My new Comp 435M distributor gear has no roll pin holes pre-drilled...is this normal? I thought there was always at least 1 side drilled :?

There was no paperwork included with the gear...how are you supposed to drill this thing correctly?
A 435M is a gear for a FORD distributor and you need to drill new pin holes in both the gear and the shaft because Ford roll pin holes are not in a standardized location from one distributor to another.

The gear needs to be pressed on the shaft in the correct location. Then, a new roll pin hole needs to be drilled through it all at 90 degrees from the hole already in the shaft and either higher or lower than that hole.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Thanks Walter.

Comp said there should be one side drilled already, to use as a pilot hole. And apparently there was a large batch that missed QC.

Since no instructions or anything was provided with the gear, how do I determine the correct place to install it?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:06 pm Thanks Walter.

Comp said there should be one side drilled already, to use as a pilot hole. And apparently there was a large batch that missed QC.

Since no instructions or anything was provided with the gear, how do I determine the correct place to install it?
4.035" from the seating surface of the distributor to the very bottom of the gear, with the shaft fully extended.
There should be about .035" end play in the distributor shaft.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

travis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:06 pm Thanks Walter.

Did you miss that tech tip on 50tussins Youtube channel?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

travis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:25 pm So...apparently since I purchased the gear over a year ago, Summit won’t stand behind it either. Looks like I’ll be taking my money elsewhere from now on :x
I think it says 2yrs is the cut off on their FAQ return page or w/e I know I've returned unused stuff pretty dang close to 2yrs. Well after 90 days a restocking fee or w/e but better than nothing!

edit: I'd send it in and write exchange or return, you should be able to get the info for the form online or if you call them.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Thank you all for the info. Doesn’t seem like this should be too difficult.

A couple of other questions. 1...this is a new stock replacement duraspark distributor. The roll pin that is in it isn’t the normal single thick walled split pin that I am familiar with. It looks like a really thin piece of metal that has been rolled up to the correct size, installed, and has what looks like a couple of tiny tack welds holding it in place. Should I chunk that pin and get a proper one?

2...is it ok to grind a bit of a flat spot on the gear to make it easier to start drilling in to?
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

BOOT wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:31 am
travis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:25 pm So...apparently since I purchased the gear over a year ago, Summit won’t stand behind it either. Looks like I’ll be taking my money elsewhere from now on :x
I think it says 2yrs is the cut off on their FAQ return page or w/e I know I've returned unused stuff pretty dang close to 2yrs. Well after 90 days a restocking fee or w/e but better than nothing!

edit: I'd send it in and write exchange or return, you should be able to get the info for the form online or if you call them.
I’m not sure if their policy has changed, or what. All I could find on their site was a 90 day return policy, but on the phone they said up to 1 year. I know in the past I’ve returned things past the 1 year mark with no issues, but that was a few years back
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

That roll-of-steel-foil pin is known to fail in distributor gears from multiple tiny impacts as the pump does its thing. Trade it for a thick-wall split pin with an even smaller pin inside to reinforce the arrangement, or better yet- a piece of drill rod upset on each end with a pin-punch. A spot of Weatherstrip adhesive (aka 'yellow death-grip') on each end will hold the dual pin arrangement if you use that. I've never been a fan of tack-welding high carbon steel for any reason- they invariably crack.
When you drill your pin hole, don't be afraid to go to the next size larger pin; Ford pins are two sizes smaller than what GM used to use in the same place, so failures are common with the stock size. No one that builds pushrod Ford V8s ever uses the little stock roll-of-steel pins on distributor gears without problems down the road. Good luck.