New distributor gear...no roll pin holes??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: New distributor gear...no roll pin holes??

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:38 am Thank you all for the info. Doesn’t seem like this should be too difficult.

A couple of other questions. 1...this is a new stock replacement duraspark distributor. The roll pin that is in it isn’t the normal single thick walled split pin that I am familiar with. It looks like a really thin piece of metal that has been rolled up to the correct size, installed, and has what looks like a couple of tiny tack welds holding it in place. Should I chunk that pin and get a proper one?

2...is it ok to grind a bit of a flat spot on the gear to make it easier to start drilling in to?
Always use a new roll pin; either the single split spring steel one or a multiple wound layer one will work fine.
Some people who use a high pressure / high volume pump use a 5/32" roll pin.

YES. grinding a small flat on the "round" above the gear is fine.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

travis wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:50 amI’m not sure if their policy has changed, or what. All I could find on their site was a 90 day return policy, but on the phone they said up to 1 year. I know in the past I’ve returned things past the 1 year mark with no issues, but that was a few years back
I just returned some stuff like that in august so unless they changed it recently, call n get someone else maybe.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

BOOT wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm
travis wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:50 amI’m not sure if their policy has changed, or what. All I could find on their site was a 90 day return policy, but on the phone they said up to 1 year. I know in the past I’ve returned things past the 1 year mark with no issues, but that was a few years back
I just returned some stuff like that in august so unless they changed it recently, call n get someone else maybe.
I did just that...Summit is cool again 8) Comp cams...they need to fire a couple of people :x
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Glad Summit is still cool, was hoping they didn't change cause yah never know with how much I change my mind or projects LOL

Far as comp few yrs back they replaced some junk new parts np for me but the next time I had the same issue with brand new parts they ignored me. My guess is they are getting more n more profit orientated or just overwhelmed with bad part claims.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 am
travis wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:38 am Thank you all for the info. Doesn’t seem like this should be too difficult.

A couple of other questions. 1...this is a new stock replacement duraspark distributor. The roll pin that is in it isn’t the normal single thick walled split pin that I am familiar with. It looks like a really thin piece of metal that has been rolled up to the correct size, installed, and has what looks like a couple of tiny tack welds holding it in place. Should I chunk that pin and get a proper one?

2...is it ok to grind a bit of a flat spot on the gear to make it easier to start drilling in to?
Always use a new roll pin; either the single split spring steel one or a multiple wound layer one will work fine.

I do understand why you shiuld use a new rollpin.
However. Last time i was changing the gear on a NEW distributor, I had to choose to reuse the flimsy new pin included or reuse a stock ford more sturdy pin.
I did the latter and it has hold up for 10+ years.

BTW: if getting a nee pin: is there a good source, or pick one from k-mart “harsware kit”? I mean; how can you be sure the pin is stong enough?
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Caprimaniac wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:40 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 am

I do understand why you shiuld use a new rollpin.
However. Last time i was changing the gear on a NEW distributor, I had to choose to reuse the flimsy new pin included or reuse a stock ford more sturdy pin.
I did the latter and it has hold up for 10+ years.

BTW: if getting a nee pin: is there a good source, or pick one from k-mart “harsware kit”? I mean; how can you be sure the pin is stong enough?
I get 'em from the local auto parts store; usually Dorman.

A new one, (a real roll pin, not just a plain pin), of the correct size from a hardware store is probably going to be fine.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Make sure the rotor is phased correctly if you drill a hole...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Split goes forward or backward to the force on it, so the pin doesn't get compressed in use.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

Some distributors have what look like ordinary hardware-store roll pins. Others come with a "spirol" (brand name) pin that's a coiled-up piece of spring steel instead of a split tube. The spirol pins are the ones Ford recommended back in the Muscle Parts era.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I got sidetracked on other projects so kind of forgot about returning the gear to Summit for exchange, so I called them today to see what was going on. I was told a refund check was sent a few days ago...they went through their inventory and couldn't find a single one with the pilot hole drilled like it was supposed to be :roll: :lol: