curious 1960s cam tech

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru
curious 1960s cam tech

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Any body know how Howard's did this in 1961 ?

Not much detail in the ad.

I'm picturing a shis-ka-bob of cam lobes. Although manipulating all them cammies just "with the cam cover off" doesn't sound like much fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wriggley monkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: curious 1960s cam tech

Post by wriggley monkey »

My guess would be by changing lash.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 pm Any body know how Howard's did this in 1961 ?

I'm picturing a shis-ka-bob of cam lobes. Although manipulating all them cammies just "with the cam cover off" doesn't sound like much fun.
I think you are correct. Each bay having a bearing necked into a 5 degree male splined shaft for the lobes, spacers etc. mating with the next female splined bearing and down the line; rifle drilled with a center bolt to tension them collectively in compression lengthwise. What could possibly go wrong.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

If it were Jenga-tower style, how would you adjust it by just removing the front cover? You'd have to pull it out and rebuild the entire stack in the new config.

To adjust it via the front cover, it would have to have intake lobes on an outer shell and exhaust lobes keyed to an inner shaft.
DON'T PANIC
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

I recall some cam outfit (and I think it was Howard's) in the waybachdaez had a scheme with offset rollers. The axle of the roller was offset from the centerline of the lifter body and they could be installed advanced or flipped over for retarded. I think they were available in two offsets, like 5 and 10, which would jive with this ad, except the timing cover wouldn't need to come off to change the lifters or their position + or -. Only been 60 years ago, seems like just yesterday.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Tuner wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:13 pm I recall some cam outfit (and I think it was Howard's) in the waybachdaez had a scheme with offset rollers. The axle of the roller was offset from the centerline of the lifter body and they could be installed advanced or flipped over for retarded. I think they were available in two offsets, like 5 and 10, which would jive with this ad, except the timing cover wouldn't need to come off to change the lifters or their position + or -. Only been 60 years ago, seems like just yesterday.

I thought it was Isky that did that. May have to dig up an old Isky catalog and see if it's in there.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

It was all "hot rod mojo"...super secret technology from Area 51!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Tuner, now we who did not already know, you ain't no spring chicken LOL in a good way. Mark H.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 pmAny body know how Howard's did this in 1961 ?
Hi, Dan,

FWIW, this question came up on the HAMB a couple of years back and there were no definitive answers there either.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... d.1055758/
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Think back to the 60s and remember all the camshaft ads in every magazine, they all came up with crazy names and claims. Remember Isky's 5cycle cams? Which was a guy on a bicycle-the 5th cycle!! This might be an answer to someone else's ad. Good times.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

And the Vari-Cam adv/ret cam sprocket....
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

coolest thing I saw from back then was a cam that rotated at half speed via gear reduction timing set ,, it had 2 opposing lobes ,, looks like controlling the ramp rates might be better ??
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

That would be the Bus Schaller quarter speed cam: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... 04&bih=914
Seems to me to have zero pluses and several minuses vs. standard practice. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:40 pm
Dan Timberlake wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 pm Any body know how Howard's did this in 1961 ?

I think you are correct. Each bay having a bearing necked into a 5 degree male splined shaft for the lobes, spacers etc. mating with the next female splined bearing and down the line; rifle drilled with a center bolt to tension them collectively in compression lengthwise. What could possibly go wrong.
:lol: i like the positive thinking =D>
Craig.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Id love to hear more about this. This stuff is interesting even when not practical or reliable!
Every scenario i can think of for this just screams horrid inaccuracies in valve timing lobe to lobe !!
Craig.