Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram

Post by rebelyell »

Kenova wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:45 pm The one I have is identical to the e-bay listing.
I haven't really given much thought about using it. The one thing I would do is cut off that Snuffleupagus snout and weld on an adapter plate for a LS style throttle body. Probably use a Holley injection controller rather than the Merc Marine computer.

On a side note, these things are freakin' heavy.

Ken
Yup, mine is about 24 lbs ... just the Vortec bottom ... maybe due that lump of bronze in the front water xover/t'stat
chuckp888

Post by chuckp888 »

I have a marine vortec intake almost new it FI multiport with all it injecters etc.
chuck
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

chuckp888 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:38 am I have a marine vortec intake almost new it FI multiport with all it injecters etc.
chuck
? Location
? For Sale
? Price
? Pics
MT Jeff
Pro
Pro

Post by MT Jeff »

chuckp888 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:38 am I have a marine vortec intake almost new it FI multiport with all it injecters etc.
chuck
There several vortec efi intakes. The tunnel ram style, mentioned and a dual plane with 4150 flange and injector bungs like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-860 ... 7675.l2557
Why is the least trained, lowest paid tech working on the most important part of your car, THE BRAKES ! I know I work next to him.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Any idea if they made that dual plane with efi bungs that had gen1 bolt pattern?

Heads I have are gen1 bolt pattern. Be interesting to try this with a 1000 cfm 4150 sized throttle body that has progressive linka.

MT Jeff wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 pm
chuck
There several vortec efi intakes. The tunnel ram style, mentioned and a dual plane with 4150 flange and injector bungs like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-860 ... 7675.l2557
canuc

Post by canuc »

I just picked up a complete ilmor tunnel ram efi for the 5.7 vortec . It's different than the merc one this thread is about . The plenum top that bolts on the base seems a little large compared to others like the stock LT1 or ram jet , I roughly calculated the volume to be 535 cu in . I know almost nothing about efi but thought I have read that rule of thumb was plenum needs to be close to same as the it's feeding ? I don't know how to post a pic or I would , basically a box shape sitting on top of a weiand old style base with a 87 mm throttle body . Anybody that knows efi have any info on how plenum volume affect things with a port efi injector ?
canuc

Post by canuc »

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I am looking for one of these Ilmor tunnel ram bases for chev vortec heads also Just need the base.
canuc

Post by canuc »

f-bird 88 what do you know about the ilmor manifold ,what are you planning to do for a top ? I didn't know they existed till I saw this one advertised local . It looks nicely shaped and cast high velocity runners , I read online they apparently worked well on the inboard ski boats . Made 12-30+ hp more than other injected 5.7s for the ski boats .
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

It appears to be based on the Weiand Hi-Ram manifold
but fits vortec heads.. I would make a custom plenum top with a bolt on lid for various carb setups.

I have a 406 sbc with ported vortecs for this.
Of course EFI is also an option.

The cams that would make full use of this tunnel ram
Intake , with long tube headers (car) are a bit much for the boat crowd unless strictly for racing.

What is the runner cross sectional area of the ports on that manifold?
canuc

Post by canuc »

I haven't spent much time with it yet . At a glance the port looks to be slightly smaller as cast than a stock 906 head . I think you might to be mistaken as to its use aside from racing especially with port efi . The ski boat people seemed like it and boats in particular jets which is what I'm going use it with need as much torque as to can make as rpm climbs . A Jets load curve is much like a high stall convertor , no load at low rpm increasing till it holds the engine from accelerating . I wonder how close a Weiand dual top would be to fit ? looks very close to what I remember but don't have one to try .I got all the efi with it so that what I'm going to use .
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

When u get to working on it let me know what the smallest cross sectional area is on the ports as cast.
Usefull to see the power potential and or how much porting may be nessessary .. Thanks
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:19 pm It appears to be based on the Weiand Hi-Ram manifold
but fits vortec heads.. I would make a custom plenum top with a bolt on lid for various carb setups.

Intake , with long tube headers (car) are a bit much for the boat crowd unless strictly for racing.

Post up a pic of the ilmor tunnel ram, I may have a billet top that would fit.
Pro question poster.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:37 am
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:19 pm It appears to be based on the Weiand Hi-Ram manifold

Post up a pic of the ilmor tunnel ram, I may have a billet top that would fit.
This is the ilmor TR base
https://www.ilmor.com/user_area/product ... 1P-RED.jpg
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

The top I have won't fit that-it's held on with 8 bolts. That intake looks similar to the newer high rams but I think the runners are offset on those?
Pro question poster.