Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Re: Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram

Post by falcongeorge »

FC-Pilot wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:24 pm If I was not out of work now I would grab that for an upcoming build for my street cruiser. Good to see them still around in hopes of finding them for that price once all this craziness settles down.

Paul
"all this craziness" is prime parts buying time. Lots of REALLY good deals floating around right now, I have had some truly monumental scores in the last couple weeks. "once all this craziness settles down" assuming that happens(VERY big assumption) prices will go back to normal.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

rebelyell wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 pm
Bill Chase wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:25 pm 124 bucks it wont last long.. snatch it up
When I did, fleabay said the one I got was THE last one.
Now, seller has updated page to show ANOTHER "LAST ONE."
Kinda slippery if ya ask me.
Just now the listing shows 13 sold 0 available...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Yup, goalposts are actually moving. As before; slippery.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The SpeedMaster79 Vortec Efi lower intake clone of the Weiand StealthRam (Vortec) is a much better start point.

U can adapt the Holley Hi- Ram EFI top for the EFI path.
The weiand tunnel ram top allows 2x4 carbs or throttle bodies.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

FWIW, that auction (now closed) sold 15 of the 13 manifolds it claimed to have... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Maybe Edelbrock should get with it and make a Vortec- ETEC- Fastburn port tunnel ram say based on the Street Tunnel Ram.. so it can run carbs or a EFI plenum, with cast in injector bosses. A manifold capable of "switch hitting"
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro

Post by Ron Miller »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:51 am Maybe Edelbrock should get with it and make a Vortec- ETEC- Fastburn port tunnel ram say based on the Street Tunnel Ram.. so it can run carbs or a EFI plenum, with cast in injector bosses. A manifold capable of "switch hitting"
I called Edelbrock searching for info and availability. Of course, I was talking to a kid that couldn't answer any of my questions. I suggested that maybe this might be an intake worth looking into with options and bring it back under the Edelbrock name. I asked to talk with one of the older Engineers that was involved with the program. Guess what, nobody around, they all quite before the sale off. He suggested I call Mercury Racing for tech info and availability. So I did, and I got the same runaround.
Ron Miller
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Ilmor racing. (Marine stuff) has/had simular vortec port efi intakes. Based on Weiand TR designs.

Ya Mercury Racing will not discuss modifying nor adapting any of their stuff. Not surprised.

Holley/Weiand have skipped right over the Gen I. SBC for. A modern era developed EFI "HI-RAM" series TR style intake manifold.

Edelbrock seems to have morfed into a supercharger and shock absorber company.
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro

Post by Ron Miller »

Bill Chase wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:40 pm 124 dollars buy it now price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133363902315
[/quote]

Thanks to Bill Chase I think I bought the last intake. I'm still trying to figure out what fuel system I'm gonna use. My thoughts were to find an off the shelf dual top for carbs or EFI. So, my questions to the guys that bought this same intake. What are your plans for engine build and a top, custom made? You gonna go carbs, what C.F.M. or EFI. Has anybody done the research for aftermarket fuel rails?

Thanks Again, =D>
Ron Miller
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Ron Miller wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:19 pm
Thanks to Bill Chase I think I bought the last intake. I'm still trying to figure out what fuel system I'm gonna use. My thoughts were to find an off the shelf dual top for carbs or EFI. So, my questions to the guys that bought this same intake. What are your plans for engine build and a top, custom made? You gonna go carbs, what C.F.M. or EFI. Has anybody done the research for aftermarket fuel rails?

Thanks Again, =D>
[/quote]
Ron, you started this thread; so glad you got one at a good price. Thanks to Bill C as well. Seems my so-called "Last One" was about mid-stream. No clear plan but intend to use as port EFI. Have a pal whose business includes thriving pleasure powerboat sales-service on Santee lakes SC. He himself a great mechanic. Perhaps we stumble upon some good, usable EFI hardware here & there. Do have a wrinkled S10 hood that's begging for a window. Heck might end up in boat or traded for the short version. We'll see. I must say, it seems a Very well designed & made piece; noted the (blocked) rear water ports have thick cast bosses which could lend themselves to drill&tap + twin dist hold-down bosses. The ports & runners look nice and the injector ports seem right as all machining looks good. It's a nice piece.
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

Ron Miller wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:16 pm Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram. Anybody out their use one of these intakes? I'm looking for one cheap. Gonna try one on a low budget 400 build. This is a two-piece intake. The picture below is just the bottom. I would like to buy just the bottom if possible.

Thanks for looking and any info you can provide, =D>
I believe I have a similar Mercury intake in my collection. It is drilled for the earlier heads and has the throttle body cast into the lid. It even has it's original control computer and flame arrester. The guy that sold it to me said it was off of a 350 hp. 350 ci.
My intent was to put it on a small block 400 but I couldn't find any info about the injection computer. Hood clearance was also a concern. Perhaps I should measure it to see if it will fit under the hood of my Nova. I'm sure Holley has something that could control it.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
SNW Vette

Post by SNW Vette »

Hi,
I bought one of these to use on a 434 SBC project. I wanted a lower tune rpm than a Victor Ram but a bigger port than an Edelbrock Street TR (pn7110). I noticed the boat engines ran at 5500 rpm continuous so I figured they where tuned around that rpm.

I ordered a Holley 2 x 4 LS Modular Hi-Ram Intake Manifold Top, pn 300-216. They’re on back order until May so I can’t comment on the fit. I have a 2 x 4 FiTech throttle body injection system that will require plugging the stock injector ports.

The attachment is a dimensional comparison of the Edelbrock Street TR on a 350 vs. the MerCruiser on a 434. Good luck, Steve
TR Table.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Did you get it? I found another one complete on Ebay, the lid has the throttle body built into it, round, looks comparable to a fox body mustang style and size, mercury racing rated that engine at 300 hp. If you look at the complete unit it should give you some ideas of how to incorporate a large ls style throttle body, or maybe a tpi throttle body?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264432147899

Thanks Again, =D>
[/quote]
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

The one I have is identical to the e-bay listing.
I haven't really given much thought about using it. The one thing I would do is cut off that Snuffleupagus snout and weld on an adapter plate for a LS style throttle body. Probably use a Holley injection controller rather than the Merc Marine computer.

On a side note, these things are freakin' heavy.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Bill Chase wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:46 am Did you get it? I found another one complete on Ebay, the lid has the throttle body built into it, round, looks comparable to a fox body mustang style and size, mercury racing rated that engine at 300 hp. If you look at the complete unit it should give you some ideas of how to incorporate a large ls style throttle body, or maybe a tpi throttle body?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264432147899

Thanks Again, =D>
[/quote]

that one w/ built-in TB is for conventional head, not Vortec.