Help needed connecting LMA-3 to LM-2

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mattax

Help needed connecting LMA-3 to LM-2

Post by Mattax »

The other day I setup an LM2 with my old Aux box with plans to take it to the track.
But the two devices aren't talking.

If anyone else has done this, I'd appreciate help.
The LM2 manual doesn't cover connecting with the LMA-3. :(
The LMA-3 manual doesn't cover connecting with an LM-2. Not surprising as it didn't exist yet.
Yes. I can try asking Innovate but figure might have better help here, especially if its a simple oversight on my part.

Here's what worked and hasn't.
Connect 4.9 WBO2 sensor to LM-2, Plug LM2 into cigar lighter. O2 sensor warms up and can be calibrated. Record works.
Disconnect power.
Connect LMA3 to LM-2 using serial out to serial in. Install WBO2 into exhaust. Start engine and plug in power.
LM2 shows wideband warming up and then stalling. LMA3 never lights up.
Shut off. Disconnect everything.

Recheck LM2 with wideband sensor in free air. Works.
Take the LM2 and LMA-3 to the computer.
Connect LM2 to computer using USB. Start LM Programmer. Programmer recognizes LM2 but can't configure channels because nothing is connected.
Connect LMA3 to LM2. No change. LMA3 doesn't light up. So its not getting power either in car from 12 V or from USB.
disconnect
Connect LMA3 to LM2 first. Then connect LM2 to computer using USB. LM Programmer doesn't see connection.
Therefore it seems that connecting the LMA3 to the LM2's serial port is messing something up.

:?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Help needed connecting LMA-3 to LM-2

Post by Tuner »

To use the LMA-3 with the LM-2 they both must be powered with 12V and share a common power supply and ground. The WB controllers, LM-1, LM2, LC1, LC2, MTX-L, etc, obviously must have an adequate 12V power supply to heat the sensor. The LMA-3 and DL-32 can be powered by a 9V battery.

To connect any of the devices to the serial port of your computer, LM-1, LM-2, LMA-3, all Innovate devices, etc, etc, they must be powered with 12V or a 9V battery.

The LM-2 doesn't supply 12V power out for any devices, they all must be separately powered. If you didn't connect 12V to the LMA-3, that is the problem. If you are in the habit of using the LMA-3 with the LM-1 you probably expected the LMA-3 to get power from the LM-2 like it does from the LM-1, not going to happen.

The LM-1 will power the LMA-3, but only for use with its internal sensors. When using the LMA-3 (or DL-32) with external sensors and it is desired to power the sensors with the LMA-3's internal 5V power supply it must be powered externally through the GND and 12V connections by supplying 12V (or a 9V battery) to the green plug.

To use the LMA-3 with the LM-2 they both must be powered with 12V and share a common power supply and ground.

You need to use a terminator with the LMA-3.

You know this. You had a brain fart, check your hat, you might need to wash it.
Mattax

Post by Mattax »

Thanks Tuner!
Makes sense.
Yes its been three years.
And it was always the LM1 with the LMA3.

When looking at the instructions that showed the MTS chain, it looked like terminator was only used on the head unit. ](*,)
With the LM1 the only time I needed the terminator was when programing the LMA3.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Make double-sure the power supply polarity is connected correctly to the green plug or the smoke will escape from the LMA-3.
Mattax

Post by Mattax »

Thanks.
9V battery worked for connecting the LMA3 to the computer without the LM1 for use with the LM Programmer.

Datalogging through the LM2 seems to be working.

For testing I used aligator clips to the battery. Most of the the time the LM2 was powering up correctly and not stalling. Hopefully the stalling was an operator induced error. Now I need to make up a Power cable that connects both the LM2 and the Auxbox.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

any tricks to get past the LM2 stalling problems? I can get to W99 and that's it.....have tried various methods.....haven't hard wired the power yet, that's my next shot....unless there's another way.....
Mattax

Post by Mattax »

I haven't figured out why it will sometimes stall.
Still trying to identify a pattern or like you, any information as to possible causes.

Yesterday it warmed up proper on the first test, LMA3 not powered up.
Then on second test with the LMA powered, it stalled. At the LM2 I disconnected and reconnected both the Bosch 4.9 and the power cables about 3 times until it finally worked. After recording a log, disconnected and reconnected the power cord again, and could not replicate the failure to warm up.
Its frustrating because once the WBO2 goes into the exhaust pipe, I dont want to run the engine if the O2 sensor is not running properly.
All of my tests yesterday were on the bench - or more accurately, the front fender with the the O2 sensor in free air.
Mattax

Post by Mattax »

shoedoos wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:50 pm any tricks to get past the LM2 stalling problems? I can get to W99 and that's it.....have tried various methods.....haven't hard wired the power yet, that's my next shot....unless there's another way.....
I e-mailed them. A likely cause is poor connection or resistance resulting in less than 12.5 Volts supplied. So far the only possible location I've found that could be is the power cable plug. I opened it up and the positive solder joint looks like it was cold. Resoldered it and I'll try it tommorrow.
Mattax

Post by Mattax »

So far its working.

New question:
Is there a means to disable the analog channels ?
It would make the downloads and use of the logs that much neater and quicker since I'm using the LMA for inputs.

LM2 Manual rev 1.4 shows the option.

The current manual (no revision number :roll: ) still says it can be done in section 4.2,
but no longer shows it in the menu description on page 7.

Unfortunately that's what I found on my LM2 with firmware 1.18. :(