General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Lash ramps for solid cams

Post by MELWAY »

Let’s talk about different ramp designs for solid cams

A lot of people talk about tightening lash right down to help solid roller lifter life on rollers cams for street use
I have heard that there are different designs in how the lash ramps can work. Constant velocity etc.

I know for example the old crane F series flat tappets call for .026” and are pretty noisy at that. I have always tightened them to .018-.020. And they seem much more quiet

Is it a true advantage to component life by running tighter lash
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Re: Lash ramps for solid cams

Post by My427stang »

I doubt there is a big difference in reliability and longevity between the correct lash and less than that amount, but I certainly think that if you aren't on the lash ramp because you are too loose it is really rough on things.

So better tighter? Within reason IMO, but tighter certainly won't hurt anything if you have clearance and is a bit quieter
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Visualize the effect of a hockey stick contacting a puck with different length stick swing-stroke from the puck.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Then also consider if that the cam card hot lash spec is right near the end of the lash ramp verses a lash setting that is s bit further back from the edge.

Considering if the lash is or becomes beyond the lash ramp, onto the opening flank the contact acceleration is much higher.. Shock force is much higher..
Roller bearings do not like shock force.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:55 am Then also consider if that the cam card hot lash spec is right near the end of the lash ramp verses a lash setting that is s bit further back from the edge.

Considering if the lash is or becomes beyond the lash ramp, onto the opening flank the contact acceleration is much higher.. Shock force is much higher..
Roller bearings do not like shock force.
The question was about transferring the logic to an early flat tappet. Same principle of course, but for a flat tappet it you have time to get the lifter spinning and moving, earlier is likely not significantly better IMO

That being said,spinning earlier before acceleration, less lash before velocity change, can't hurt if the valve stays closed. I run mine tight too. 489 EFI FE I run at .014 cold, works out to be about .019 hot, with a .028 cam card spec. I do it mostly because the engine likes a little more seat to seat, but it's a bit quieter.

Heck I even closed up the intake side on my Cummins 6.7, I just went to minimum spec on the exhaust side because Iw as a little concerned with reports of exhaust valve cooling without enough seat time, but drove the intake a bit tighter and it was pretty happy, especially with the "all of the map" lash from the factory
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

There are multiple types of lash ramps( constant Velocity, Constant Acceleration, Constant Jerk, etc).
One of the most critical points in cam design is the velocity at the lash point. Since the majority of the mass in the valvetrain (valve, spring, retainer, rocker) isn't moving, below the lash point, the velocity of all that mass is zero. That means the velocity at the lash point controls how big the acceleration spike is when all that mass starts to move, and when it stops moving. It's that acceleration spike at the opening that stresses and flexes the valvetrain, which is not only hard on parts, but can cause valve loft. The acceleration spike at the closing point is hard on the valves and seats, and can cause valve bounce.

If you are having any issues, tightening the lash will lower the acceleration spikes at the opening and closing points, if the velocity is lower at the tighter lash points. This will be the case with every style lash ramp, except Constant Velocity. With a constant Velocity ramp, the acceleration spikes will be the same, no matter where on the lash ramp, you set the lash.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

MELWAY wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:04 am Let’s talk about different ramp designs for solid cams . . . . Is it a true advantage to component life by running tighter lash ?
Some random thoughts:

1. Why would we buy a cam from a cam grinder who had no clue as to what was the ideal lash for his lobe profile? If Mike Jones says, it's .0xy", I'm going to believe he knows best.

2. Tightening the lash effectively increases the low-lift overlap. If the displacement is sufficiently large, it may not make that much difference, but on small displacement, more overlap has a much more noticeable downside.

3. Aluminum heads, rockers and rocker covers transmit much more valvetrain noise. Those of us who grew up with old arn are always unpleasantly irritated by how much more noticeable is the same profile when run all in aluminum.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

CamKing wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:24 am There are multiple types of lash ramps( constant Velocity, Constant Acceleration, Constant Jerk, etc).
One of the most critical points in cam design is the velocity at the lash point. Since the majority of the mass in the valvetrain (valve, spring, retainer, rocker) isn't moving, below the lash point, the velocity of all that mass is zero. That means the velocity at the lash point controls how big the acceleration spike is when all that mass starts to move, and when it stops moving. It's that acceleration spike at the opening that stresses and flexes the valvetrain, which is not only hard on parts, but can cause valve loft. The acceleration spike at the closing point is hard on the valves and seats, and can cause valve bounce.

If you are having any issues, tightening the lash will lower the acceleration spikes at the opening and closing points, if the velocity is lower at the tighter lash points. This will be the case with every style lash ramp, except Constant Velocity. With a constant Velocity ramp, the acceleration spikes will be the same, no matter where on the lash ramp, you set the lash.
<EDIT>
The DaveMcLain thread below pretty much covers it. :oops:

How is the design decision arrived at amongst the various ramp philosophies? Given that a constant velocity ramp always produces the same (relatively high?) stress signature at the moment of zero lash impact, whereas most/all the others might have much lower shock loads but be very lash-sensitive? Stated another way, shouldn't cams with constant velocity ramps produce the same valve gear noise and perform virtually identically -except perhaps for the minute lift difference and perhaps some slight overlap effects over a wide range of lash settings- as long as the zero lash point is somewhere on the ramp? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Remember length and height of the ramp will changes the numbers at the end. For illustration purposes these all have the same length and height. Also remember that the ramp must flow into the actual cam ramp.

The first graph goes from constant velocity to constant pop.

The second graph they are in reverse order going from constant pop to constant velocity.

Stan
ab-lash-ramps-lift.gif
ab-lash-ramps-vel.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Isn't there one missing? I thought the sequence was : displacement-velocity-acceleration-jerk-quirk-snap-crackle and then pop; seven in all, ignoring displacement?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Bill,
I may have them miss named but the graph / data is correct.

Stan
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

The word constant means just that but does not tell you a hole lot about the ramp. If I increase the length of the constant acceleration ramp from above but leave the height the same I can have it have just about the same velocity as the constant velocity ramp at its end. But notice if I tighten the last on the constant acceleration ramp my velocity at valve contact drops.

Stan
ab-lash-ramps-vel2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

CamKing wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:24 am There are multiple types of lash ramps( constant Velocity, Constant Acceleration, Constant Jerk, etc).

What type of lash ramps do the "HARDKORE Cam Series" have Mike?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

bob460 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:53 am

What type of lash ramps do the "HARDKORE Cam Series" have Mike?
Our HARDKOREcam series, is a series of Tool Steel cams. The profiles we grind on them, can be any of our profiles.
Most of our profiles use either Constant Velocity ramps, or a Constant Velocity/Jerk hybrid I developed.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:15 pm Also remember that the ramp must flow into the actual cam ramp.
This is probably the main reason for using different types of lash ramps.
If the first and last steps of the cam lift ramp are too fast, a Constant Velocity ramp may not be the way to go.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449