Valvoline VR1 for flat tappet cam break in?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Valvoline VR1 for flat tappet cam break in?

Post by travis »

I’m assuming VR1 by itself doesn’t have quite enough of the good stuff to break in a new flat tappet cam. The local parts store has a few ZDDP additives...2 I haven’t heard of before, but they also have Lucas ZDDP additive. Is this “enough” for a not very aggressive hydraulic flat tappet cam? Springs are 110 seat, 280 at max lift.
Dirtybob
Re: Valvoline VR1 for flat tappet cam break in?

Post by Dirtybob »

I used it years ago to break in a Comp XE274 without any issues...
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

I prefer to use a good break in oil with the ZDDP additive mixed into the oil. A good oil with a separate ZDDP additive is my second choice. I suggest pre-oil the engine to circulate the additive and oil before firing it up the first time. It may take a bit for the additive in the pan to get to where it’s needed if you don’t and it’s critical to get the ZDDP between the tappet and cam as heat is critical for it to form the layer. Any delay could possibly wipe out a lobe or three before the additive gets a change to get there. That’s why I like a dedicated flat tappet break in oil for this situation.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Yes it makes a good break-in oil for that. it is not necessary to add anything to it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I use what ever cheap oil I can find and add either GM EOS or Comp additive, ordered with the Comp XE cam so they can't say I didn't use it, I learned this from Kim Barr based on how he breaks in all the solid flat dirt track engines he has built over the past 20 years... after all your probably going to drain it after 30 minutes.

Before I knew any better I used regular Castroil GTX and then switched to Mobil 1 after break in, no additives, I guess not knowing keeps the lobes from going flat because I have had an issue. :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Had a long post typed, and then couldn't post it because I couldn't connect to Speedtalk any longer.

"VR1" varies depending on viscosity and chemical makeup (Dino vs. Synthetic)

Some of it is very good according to 540Rat. Not everyone gets along with 540Rat, but he knows a lot more about this than I do.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Used to use Iskys moly? Cam lube and any half decent oil that seemed to do the trick.
Biteme
Pro
Pro

Post by Biteme »

What roundybout said.
I use a bottle of Lucas zddp additive every oil change too.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Schurkey wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:43 pm Had a long post typed, and then couldn't post it because I couldn't connect to Speedtalk any longer.

Some of it is very good according to 540Rat. Not everyone gets along with 540Rat, but he knows a lot more about this than I do.
I thought that was only me having that problem, the post I made here today was typed last night and like most evenings more times than not I can't connect once I log in... I pm'ed Mike about this when it started happening but never got a response. I found if I tether my phone to my computer it will connect, so for some reason at times ST's server is provider picky.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

Use VR1 Non synthetic and if you want put a bootle of the old GM EOS in it (now says engine assembly lubricant)
www.autotransdesign.com www.gzmotorsports.com
www.cranecams.com www.prosystemsracing.com
www.hardblok.com
Please say a prayer for all that serve and gave all to serve this Holiday and everyday!
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

GARY C wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 pm
Schurkey wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:43 pm Had a long post typed, and then couldn't post it because I couldn't connect to Speedtalk any longer.

I thought that was only me having that problem, the post I made here today was typed last night and like most evenings more times than not I can't connect once I log in... I pm'ed Mike about this when it started happening but never got a response. I found if I tether my phone to my computer it will connect, so for some reason at times ST's server is provider picky.
I have been experiencing the same thing for several months now. You might find some help here......

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=58745

For me, its hit or miss as to whether I can even pull up the website. When this happens, I get a notice that the server has timed out. Has nothing to do with logging on. And yes, I have typed more than a few responses and when I attempted to post them, was bounced off same as Schurkey and could not post. Sometimes, I can pull up the website the following day. Other times, it might be several days before I can do so. Just depends.

Good luck,

Harry
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I don't know why people put additives in today's high quality oils, which are light years better than oils of years ago. Adding additives risk upsetting the carefully balanced 'formula' used by the oil maker, & could interfere with the oil's performance.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Roundybout wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:06 pm I prefer to use a good break in oil with the ZDDP additive mixed into the oil. A good oil with a separate ZDDP additive is my second choice. I suggest pre-oil the engine to circulate the additive and oil before firing it up the first time. It may take a bit for the additive in the pan to get to where it’s needed if you don’t and it’s critical to get the ZDDP between the tappet and cam as heat is critical for it to form the layer. Any delay could possibly wipe out a lobe or three before the additive gets a change to get there. That’s why I like a dedicated flat tappet break in oil for this situation.
This, I agree with. I'd much rather use something already blended up than risk upsetting the additive package or the properties of the oil itself by adding way too much zddp. There is a point with the stuff that too much is a bad thing. I used to buy ZDDP Plus from a distributor a few years ago until he educated me on it all. In this instance, it isn't a case of 'if some is good, more is better'. With zddp, you reach a point where more is a bad thing. At the moment, I can't recall exactly why it's not better. I just remember that he said "more isn't always better".
Last edited by midnightbluS10 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
ssregal39

Post by ssregal39 »

I've broke in six mechanical flat oval trackers on nothing but 15-40 plain jane diesel over the last three years.
Not once had a break in issue or lobe issues ever over the race seasons.
Dirtybob

Post by Dirtybob »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:30 am
Roundybout wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:06 pm I prefer to use a good break in oil with the ZDDP additive mixed into the oil. A good oil with a separate ZDDP additive is my second choice. I suggest pre-oil the engine to circulate the additive and oil before firing it up the first time. It may take a bit for the additive in the pan to get to where it’s needed if you don’t and it’s critical to get the ZDDP between the tappet and cam as heat is critical for it to form the layer. Any delay could possibly wipe out a lobe or three before the additive gets a change to get there. That’s why I like a dedicated flat tappet break in oil for this situation.
This, I agree with. I'd much rather use something already blended up than risk upsetting the additive package or the properties of the oil itself by adding way too much zddp. There is a point with the stuff that too much is a bad thing. I used to buy ZDDP Plus from a distributor a few years ago until he educated me on it all. In this instance, it isn't a case of 'if some is good, more is better'. With zddp, you reach a point where more is a bad thing. At the moment, I can't recall exactly why it's not better. I just remember that he said "more isn't always better".
Maybe this is what you are referring to?
Although break-in scuffing was reduced by using more phosphorus, longer-term wear increased when phosphorus rose above 0.14%. And, at about 0.20% phosphorus, the ZDP started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling.
https://zddplus.com/zddplus-tech-brief- ... -oil-myth/