General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: Nitrided cams

Post by Truckedup »

CamKing wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:29 am
Geoff2 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:18 am My understanding is that Comp uses Plasma nitriding which does not heat up the core as much as gas nitriding,
That's what we use, but it still has to be Nitrided at 850f. The issue is, that the cast iron core is hardened to around 52rc, but when you nitrude it at 850f, it reduces the core hardness of the iron. You end up with a cam that has a very hard outer shell(.001"-.003"), but the material behind that outer shell is now only in the mid 40rc range. With high spring pressures, after a while, the material behind the hard outer shell will give way, and the outer shell will start to flake off.

We offer plasma nitriding on our flat tappet cams, for those that want it, but we don't recommend it.
Can I assume that nitriding steel cams is a different story? And nitriding cast cams needing less agresssive spring pressures would be ok?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:28 am I would straighten it but if it snaps its on me. I did not order it for customer it was supplied by him.

I just don't want to chance it on my dime. Better it be dealt with by customer much safer for me that way.
Personally I have always chosen a quality cam over convenience and having to wait long times for a special order.
It always seems the more hands it pass's through more chance there can be an issue.
We have to straiten every cam that comes through the door, except Redline.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Truckedup wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:07 am Can I assume that nitriding steel cams is a different story? And nitriding cast cams needing less agresssive spring pressures would be ok?
Any time you nitride a material that has been heat treated, if the nitriding temp is higher then the temp used to temper the material, you are going to be drawing back the base hardness of the material.
How much, depends on the material. Say you're plasma nitriding at 850f. If the cam was one of my S7 steel cams, it would draw the base hardness down to about 53hrc. If the cam was made out of 4141, it would be drawn all the way down to about 38hrc.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449