Question for engine builders

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Question for engine builders

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Have you ever switched the firing order on a V8 engine and experienced a problem with the crankshaft?

To be clear, I am assuming you are using the same crankshaft when making the change.

I understand that many other things will likely have been changed that could affect the crankshaft. I am simply wondering if you had a suspicion that changing the firing order brought out a difference/problem. I am curious if the effect of millions of cycles stressing the crank in a particular sequence while still within the elastic range of the base material imparts a "memory" or type of hysteresis.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Question for engine builders

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 am Have you ever switched the firing order on a V8 engine and experienced a problem with the crankshaft?

To be clear, I am assuming you are using the same crankshaft when making the change.

I understand that many other things will likely have been changed that could affect the crankshaft. I am simply wondering if you had a suspicion that changing the firing order brought out a difference/problem. I am curious if the effect of millions of cycles stressing the crank in a particular sequence while still within the elastic range of the base material imparts a "memory" or type of hysteresis.
I have had customers run many several small block Chevy engines in oval track cars with the 4,7 swap and seen nothing abnormal anywhere in that engine when refreshing them ... crankshaft and bearing wear seem to be no different.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:00 am
Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 am Have you ever switched the firing order on a V8 engine and experienced a problem with the crankshaft?

I have had customers run many several small block Chevy engines in oval track cars with the 4,7 swap and seen nothing abnormal anywhere in that engine when refreshing them ... crankshaft and bearing wear seem to be no different.
They were using the same crankshaft before and after the swap?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

From what I have seen, firing order change does not have any adverse affect on crankshaft, nor bearing, longevity.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

EngineguyBill---What are absolute known positive results that are gained by going from 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 to 1 8 7 3 6 5 4 2 or the LS F.O. :?:

Anybody else is welcome to comment as well, thanks Mark H. :)
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

swampbuggy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm EngineguyBill---What are absolute known positive results that are gained by going from 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 to 1 8 7 3 6 5 4 2 or the LS F.O. :?:

The 4.7 swap on a small block Chevrolet will have a minor effect of making all the cylinders run at a closer combustion chamber temperature ... heating up number 2 and cooling number 5 a bit more.
There are probably some other effects but, I haven't witnessed any of them.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Maybe another related question:

Assuming the rotating assembly is kept the same and the same cam grind etc. -- JUST changing the firing order. If BHJ came in and graphed the torsional dynamics to fit a custom damper, would they notice a difference?

If Jon is reading this, would there be a different optimum counterweight design?
Last edited by Kevin Johnson on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

swampbuggy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm EngineguyBill---What are absolute known positive results that are gained by going from 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 to 1 8 7 3 6 5 4 2 or the LS F.O. :?:

Reher Morrison engine book says .5% improvement in horsepower for the 4/7 swap, and the nitrous guys say they don't burn pistons as bad, and hold up better. Never did any back to back testing, just repeating what I have read and heard through the grapevine.
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

Very interesting question Kevin. Looking forward to more discussion about this as it relates to the possiblity of different harmonics in the crankshaft with different firing orders.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

This is a neat line of thought to go down.

VW played with firing orders on their W12 engines. I know they had a near 100% crank failure rate with the first generation 12s. Bear in mind that these are dang near a worst case scenario, with 12 cylinders on 6 SPLIT PIN crank throws in an engine the length of a short V8. Crankshaft looked like a collection of journals stacked Jenga-style with dinner plates in between.

Highest-resolution pic I could find.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Thanks Peejay,
That is one ugly-ass crankshaft . . . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If I was looking for FO-induced crank problems, I'd fire two cylinders at a time; sort of an adaptation of the Moto GP "big bang" philosophy to a dirt series... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.