Laminar Flow

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Laminar Flow

Post by GARY C »

A little different test on Laminar Flow and an awesome smoke trace flow machine at 4 minutes on this girls first science project.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
superpursuit
Pro
Pro
Re: Laminar Flow

Post by superpursuit »

Very interesting. Thanks for posting Gary.

Allan.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I didn't click it yet but if that's the "Smarter Every Day" channel, he has a few videos on laminar flow, I think, and a bunch of other really interesting stuff. Laminar flow is his favorite thing in the entire world lol. He talks about it a lot. There's one vid where he shoots colored vortex rings at each other underwater thats pretty badass. IIRC, they combine and break up into smaller vortex rings.

2nd vid is 12 hr edit of what all it took for them to get this thing to work.

Last edited by midnightbluS10 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Here's 2 other laminar flow vids from him. He unmixes colors in these. Never seen anything like it.

A laminar flow fountain in Chicago

JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

In actual engines, we rarely if ever, see laminar flow.

Almost all air flow is turbulent flow.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

David Redszus wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 pm In actual engines, we rarely if ever, see laminar flow.

every cycle there is a brief period where the airflow is slow or stationary so flow would be laminar

probably more applies to oil galleries or coolant channels, the latter of which is probably still fast enough to be turbulent
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

digger wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:33 pm
David Redszus wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 pm In actual engines, we rarely if ever, see laminar flow.

every cycle there is a brief period where the airflow is slow or stationary so flow would be laminar

probably more applies to oil galleries or coolant channels, the latter of which is probably still fast enough to be turbulent
Yes my thought was that the more you understand the cause and effect of both then the easier you can address them and is the reason NASA and others make miniature prototypes for real world testing as was discussed in the video.

For me as a visual learner seeing simple things like this give me a better understanding of whats going on and if the idea is to make airflow less turbulent then more understanding can't be all bad.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 pm I didn't click it yet but if that's the "Smarter Every Day" channel, he has a few videos on laminar flow, I think, and a bunch of other really interesting stuff. Laminar flow is his favorite thing in the entire world lol. He talks about it a lot. There's one vid where he shoots colored vortex rings at each other underwater thats pretty badass. IIRC, they combine and break up into smaller vortex rings.

2nd vid is 12 hr edit of what all it took for them to get this thing to work.

Yeah I like his content.
Please Note!
Sparksalot

Post by Sparksalot »

This reminds me of one of my labs at NASA in the 60s. Laminar flow is fun to play around with but the majority of real life gas dynamics involve higher energy states.