Info on Penn Grade 1 oil

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racing68
Pro
Pro
Info on Penn Grade 1 oil

Post by Racing68 »

Ok spent about an hour talking to the reps for DA lubricants, Driven, and American Refining Group.

First the additive package for Penn Grade 1 has changed, the original was discontinued and a new one is being used. They would not tell me who is making it but said it is identical with a slightly higher detergent level.

Second the base oil has more than likely changed, DA rep said it is a high grade Pennsylvania base oil. I asked if it comes from ARG, he would not give me a yes or no answer but repeated it's a high grade Pennsylvania base oil then damn near ran off to talk with someone else which i thought was odd.

Third went to Driven oils talked to them and they had a rep from ARG there. He stated that ARG has not sold anything to DA lubricants in 2 years. The ARG rep also said there are other refineries making a very similar base oil in Pennsylvania, DA is likely getting their base from one of them.

Take what you want from this but i would say the oil is now different but probably has very similar qualities to the original. Enough to cause problems not likely, but none the less different.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Info on Penn Grade 1 oil

Post by hoffman900 »

Oils and lots of other petrochemical and chemical industries do this. Typically you have performance specs, and the recipe changes constantly to meet those specifications. It could be krill oil for all anyone cares, but as long as it meets the specs your application needs and the specifications published, it doesn't matter.

Keep in mind the recipe changes constantly due to the base stock chemistry varying. Short of fully synthetic, where you have complete control of the base stock, it will need to change to meet changes in the base stock chemistry coming out of the ground. Again, they're blended to meet a performance standard.

Rant, not directed at you, but in general. There is so much hocus-pocus online in regards to oil, mostly by internet warriors who wouldn't be able to get through a freshman college level organic chemistry class. Look at the performance sheet for a given oil and match it to the application. Brands, base stock sources, additive package sources, are all inconsequential.

Also, this thread is linked to your previous locked thread from last October.
-Bob
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:53 am Oils and lots of other petrochemical and chemical industries do this. Typically you have performance specs, and the recipe changes constantly to meet those specifications. It could be krill oil for all anyone cares, but as long as it meets the specs your application needs and the specifications published, it doesn't matter.

Keep in mind the recipe changes constantly due to the base stock chemistry varying. Short of fully synthetic, where you have complete control of the base stock, it will need to change to meet changes in the base stock chemistry coming out of the ground. Again, they're blended to meet a performance standard.

Rant, not directed at you, but in general. There is so much hocus-pocus online in regards to oil, mostly by internet warriors who wouldn't be able to get through a freshman college level organic chemistry class. Look at the performance sheet for a given oil and match it to the application. Brands, base stock sources, additive package sources, are all inconsequential.

LOL. Don't know if you could get away will krill oil but just about everything else could be used, and probably is. The less expensive the oil is, the more short cut the engineer used to get the price point down.

LOL. Krill oil. That's just straight funny.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

ClassAct wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:13 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:53 am Oils and lots of other petrochemical and chemical industries do this. Typically you have performance specs, and the recipe changes constantly to meet those specifications. It could be krill oil for all anyone cares, but as long as it meets the specs your application needs and the specifications published, it doesn't matter.

LOL. Don't know if you could get away will krill oil but just about everything else could be used, and probably is. The less expensive the oil is, the more short cut the engineer used to get the price point down.

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Hopefully that came through :lol:
-Bob
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

So you learned nothing new, then?

From your previous post on the subject, it's been stated here before that ARG wasn't providing their base stock any longer and that they were using a different additive package because Lubrizol discontinued whatever they were using previously. Since you got no confirmation, we're still where we were, aren't we? <shrug>

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58639
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Racing68
Pro
Pro

Post by Racing68 »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:35 pm So you learned nothing new, then?

From your previous post on the subject, it's been stated here before that ARG wasn't providing their base stock any longer and that they were using a different additive package because Lubrizol discontinued whatever they were using previously. Since you got no confirmation, we're still where we were, aren't we? <shrug>

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58639
No i had no first hand info, only what i was seeing on the internet and we all know how truthful the internet is. My first post was me trying to find out if the info was truthful or not. Now i have facts straight from the manufactures reps confirming what i was hearing. I've had no problems with their product but i am less likely to purchase from them in the future. DA lubricants statement" OFTEN COPIED,
NEVER DUPLICATED.
It is the same unique Pennsylvania Grade base oil cut and the specially selected high-zinc, high-phosphorus formulation that’s been known and trusted by high-performance engine builders and vehicle owners for decades."
The only problem with this statement is it's not true and i take issue with that. If the oil works as intended that's great, but don't F@#$%^ lie to me about it and tell me it's the same.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

They told you it still comes from Pennsylvania, who cares if it comes from ARG or not? It still works exactly as intended and you have no performance problems with it. What is your issue with it? You’re also speculating based on what their competitor said about them.

Oil choice should be based on performance and not emotion.
-Bob
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:22 pm
ClassAct wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:13 pm

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Hopefully that came through :lol:

Oh it came through. If you know what krill oil is that's damn funny.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Type A trans fluid contained whale oil...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019