And the award for the ugliest pistons goes to...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
And the award for the ugliest pistons goes to...

Post by travis »

Me :lol:
26B15B53-691C-498E-A846-29C7723E7A05.jpeg

The machine shop was giving me grief about my “fat and ugly” pistons. Pistons and pins was almost 779 grams :shock: I guess the one good thing about them is everything balanced easily since these are close to stock weight with the Scat rods.

I guess for 325-350 Hp they will be fine, but damn...the last set of these I used didn’t look near this ugly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: And the award for the ugliest pistons goes to...

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

That looks like a one crown will take any tdc you can throw at it, except comp!

Cheers.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

At least you don't have to worry about the valves hitting the pistons if the timing chain breaks! :lol:
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Typical FM hypereutectic piston, flat top with as much volume as a dished piston.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

dannobee wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:12 pm At least you don't have to worry about the valves hitting the pistons if the timing chain breaks! :lol:
On the plus side, he can probably change the valves with the pistons at TDC.

That is one gorpy piston.....is a brick with valve reliefs.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

They clear 2.02/1.60” valves with plenty of clearance with my short duration .544” Jones hydraulic roller cam. Compression may be a touch on the high side though for a 4500 pound truck at 10.1-1
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

What’s the rpm? I’ve come to the conclusion that one should have the fattest rings and heaviest pistons that the rpms allow, but that’s turbo engine reliability talking there.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:26 pm What’s the rpm? I’ve come to the conclusion that one should have the fattest rings and heaviest pistons that the rpms allow, but that’s turbo engine reliability talking there.
It should peak somewhere around 5600 rpms. I wanted to go with a lighter forged piston and some better heads, but the budget just wasn’t there on this build
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:26 pm What’s the rpm? I’ve come to the conclusion that one should have the fattest rings and heaviest pistons that the rpms allow, but that’s turbo engine reliability talking there.
Maybe, as a general rule. but there are exceptions such as my friends 1200hp 354 chry. Previous pistons were 40++ grams heavier and used D017, 1/16, 3/16 ring pack. Emptied the puke tank every pass. New pistons are 1.2, 1.5 and 3mm, gas ported and dry as a popcorn fart. Great strides in rings in the last decade. Of course, there are racers who can break an anvil in a sandbox so it would be better to make their parts with more strength.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Was that because the rpm exceeded the ring flutter critical rpm for the combination?

I’m just rambling here, but for these latest engines (two short blocks), we started with the max rpm and fuel and then the ring width and piston weight followed from that. Once you add the boost, the math ended up requiring piston oil squirters. Then the bearings came from that, as well as the constraint of using the stock crankshaft.

The point being is that heavy piston isn’t necessarily a negative unless if it’s too heavy for the stroke and the rpm.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:23 pm Was that because the rpm exceeded the ring flutter critical rpm for the combination?

I’m just rambling here, but for these latest engines (two short blocks), we started with the max rpm and fuel and then the ring width and piston weight followed from that. Once you add the boost, the math ended up requiring piston oil squirters. Then the bearings came from that, as well as the constraint of using the stock crankshaft.

The point being is that heavy piston isn’t necessarily a negative unless if it’s too heavy for the stroke and the rpm.
Lighter piston weight wasn't the goal here but when it was sufficiently thick and a shorter pin was used it ended up lighter. Finish line rpm is 9600 which is way more than expected. Dykes type rings are just a crutch IMO and their very design promotes ring flutter which causes the 2nd ring to not properly control oil. Ring seal is paramount and everything after that is achieved becomes easier. I don't think throwing more weight than necessary is desirable--A piston is a very good fuse and sometimes a hole blown through a piston has saved an engine from complete destruction.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

At rpm 9600, yeah I agree that thin rings and light pistons are very beneficial!

I’m thinking that one needs to decide fuel, peak cylinder pressure, and max rpm and then determine the widest rings and heaviest pistons that will work reliably. At, say, 3.75” stroke and 9600rpm are going to want the thinnest rings out there to seal by my math, 1mm or less for the top ring?

We just computed and got the same advice from the piston manufacturer to use 1mm or 1.2mm top ring with 3.11/78.9mm stroke, 100mm bore, and 8000rpm for endurance use. The same tyranny of math then calls for piston oil squirters to keep the piston temperature down.
Put Search Keywords Here