Cylinder to cylinder deck clearance variation?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Cylinder to cylinder deck clearance variation?

Post by travis »

How much difference in deck clearance would be considered normal? I’m getting.003” to .007” deck clearance after measuring all 8 holes, with most running about .005”. Is this inconsistency normal with budget pistons (FM H336P’s)?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Cylinder to cylinder deck clearance variation?

Post by PackardV8 »

These days it’s more likely to be the block, crank or rods than the pistons
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
2seater

Post by 2seater »

I have noticed on three Buick V6's in succession that the center cylinder on each side have right around .003" less deck clearance, while the corners vary less than a thousandth. Switching piston and rod assemblies around has no effect, almost has to be in the crank although stroke measures correct within a thou.. Decks are flat and two were freshly machined?
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

If using a factory crank and rods I often use the same rod and piston in the holes first to see if there are any patterns that can easily be identifies as taper in the decks. Then I verify that the rest of the pistons and rods fall close to the same measurements. If need be I can shuffle some around if a crank throw seems short and maybe a rod a thousandth or two long. For a street engine is won’t make any difference, but if it’s mine then I have the time to do it just for insanities sake. :lol:

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

There is lots of budget pistons that are as good as bang on or as much as -.003 between pistons. This is for cast type econo
build stuff. the stuff they were selling made in India was much worse but they did get better over time but not much.
Since you are measuring at the pin centerline have you checked the pin bore for alignment to the top?

I recently had some new old stock parts a customer wanted to use and the pin bore was off by .004" when the top was on a
surface plate and measuring to the bottom of the pin on either side.
Did you check the fore and aft sides of the 4 corner pistons? That could account for some extra deck clearance if the pins are in crooked.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Subtly bent rods will also throw off the readings...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

These rods “shouldn’t” be bent as they are brand new.

I only checked each one as close to the center as I could get. I’ll try some different measuring points tomorrow and swap some stuff around to see if that helps.

I’m suspecting that some of this may be in the pistons...about half of them appear to be a much nicer casting than the other half.

For what it is, I’m probably way over thinking this :lol:
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

travis wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:22 am These rods “shouldn’t” be bent as they are brand new.

I only checked each one as close to the center as I could get. I’ll try some different measuring points tomorrow and swap some stuff around to see if that helps.

I’m suspecting that some of this may be in the pistons...about half of them appear to be a much nicer casting than the other half.

You are. Unless the block has been square decked, it’s probably off as much as your variation.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

travis wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:22 am These rods “shouldn’t” be bent as they are brand new.

Checking the center of a piston with an offset pin ? You should be measuring directly over the pin and then rock the pistons all the same direction , so you are doing each hole the same.

Some cast dished Pistons leave the dish portion as cast.. your wasting your time putting your dial indicator on that..