Pushrods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Pushrods

Post by travis »

I was searching for a set of 7.650” pushrods, now trying to figure out what the differences are between them when the prices range from $94 a set to $225/set, and all are listed as heat treated, .080” thick walled chrome moly. This will be under 350 pounds over the nose, under 6500 rpms.

Is there really going to be any meaningful differences between them?
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Re: Pushrods

Post by BirdMan »

Go to CompCams site and get the part number for that length and then enter n a search engine to locate where to buy them and then look and compare??
Dale C.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Trend is a manufacturer; not a re-boxer. Trend makes a LOT of PRs and does so for many big name retailers.
http://trendperform.com/
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Never had a problem with Summit brand or Trick Flow pushrods, they might be the same.
Jim
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Yes, since Summit owns Trick Flow...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

One piece pushrods are generally more expensive than the 3 piece pushrods with the pressed in ends. Besides that it is probably more of a brand thing for the price to vary. I don't use the 3 piece pushrods for mechanical cams as I have found them to chip the ends in this application.

Allan.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

superpursuit wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:29 pm One piece pushrods are generally more expensive than the 3 piece pushrods with the pressed in ends. Besides that it is probably more of a brand thing for the price to vary. I don't use the 3 piece pushrods for mechanical cams as I have found them to chip the ends in this application.

Allan.

I run three piece pushrods and have ran them in everything from street cars to pro mods...my stuff currently runs 400 lbs on the seat and over 1200 open. I run Manton pushrods exclusively...NEVER seen ends chipping...and I don't run hydraulic cams....not sure what your issue was but I'm going to guess that it was wrong ends for the application.

Travis, there are tons of differences in pushrods besides just having one piece or multiple piece. There is material, heat treat, end radius or cup, wall thickness, etc....but with anything, you're going to get what you pay for. Cheap isn't necessarily better, and pushrods aren't a place to save money....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

77cruiser wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:53 pm Never had a problem with Summit brand or Trick Flow pushrods, they might be the same.
I have used both and compared some brand new on a glass table, some of the Trickflow had a bit of wobble. I'd still use either but if both were the same price as sometimes they are, then summit.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Coloradoracer wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:56 am
Travis, there are tons of differences in pushrods besides just having one piece or multiple piece. There is material, heat treat, end radius or cup, wall thickness, etc....but with anything, you're going to get what you pay for. Cheap isn't necessarily better, and pushrods aren't a place to save money....
It’s not that I was looking to be “cheap”, it’s just that I don’t want to pay more for the exact same parts just because it has someone else’s name laser etched on it. On paper many of these pushrods appear to be exactly the same, and I’m sure they are. You just pay more for the box they come in.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I’d have no qualms about running any name brand American made .080 wall heat treated one piece pushrod in an application with 350lbs open spring load.

The Summit pushrods are $100.
Comp Magnums are $120

I can’t see needing to spend any more than that.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

PRH wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:41 pm I’d have no qualms about running any name brand American made .080 wall heat treated one piece pushrod in an application with 350lbs open spring load.

The Summit pushrods are $100.
Comp Magnums are $120

I can’t see needing to spend any more than that.

I avoid comp pushrods, far as I can tell they have three tiers(junk, ok and same as rest) and not all are measured the same way(they got a tool for magnums or hi-tech). The over priced hi-tech appear to be same as many of the common 100ish sets and magnums lower quality.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Manley & Comp have both worked for me in everything from 400 hp street to 890 hp drag race only engines. Buy a good quality set of pushrods after getting the rocker arm geometry set and forget about it, and go have good time .