Max boring an aftermarket BBC cast-iron block?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Max boring an aftermarket BBC cast-iron block?

Post by pdq67 »

Has anybody ever offset bored either a Merlin III or a Dart BBC cast-iron block out to like 4.75" and then rework the crank counterweights to line up the rods??

I guess that I am poorly asking what's the biggest bore these blocks can be bored out to?

And how much trouble is it to install a 4.50" crank in a 9.8" deck BBC block?

Just thinking about max cubes in a standard deck height aftermarket BBC block is all...

pdq67
econo racer
Expert
Expert
Re: Max boring an aftermarket BBC cast-iron block?

Post by econo racer »

There is a guy on here that has 620 inches in his shop truck. :shock:
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Dart big m says 4.625 still has .300 wall thickness. On a na deal you could go thinner on walls but not sure what that gives you on a standard bore space motor as a max.
Guys have done 4.65 bore on dart big m’s

4.5” crank fits
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Hmm
Long stroke...
:shock:

Pdq was gone for a while.
Maybe abducted by aliens? :mrgreen:
Just kidding.

It would probably be most effective to bore it max without having to offset it, and use the time/expense saved on the cylinder heads to net more than that the extra 0.080 or 0.100 would "get" you.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

More important then boring for max cid is that during the process you offset the Bore to both unshroud the Intake valve and ease the thrust loading on cylinder wall, or atleast unshroud the valve to the max!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to go through the trouble of trying to offset bore the block, unless you've encountered bore shift and are trying to correct that. GM has their GMPP racing block with 4.9" bore centers. It was developed for Pro Stock racing, and one of the issues it addressed was bore sizing to unshroud the valves. You can offset bore a standard block, but that's not necessarily going to address that issue, and will likely cause other issues that need to be addressed as well. More hassle than it's worth.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

I think you could use a larger bore with iron heads than alum. 4.70" bore would leave .140" between cylinders, warm up the engine with external heat source before starting and give it a try, if I wanted to disguise cubic inches from onlookers I would take a tall deck block, cut it down to maybe 10" deck
and relocate the water pump holes, use a billet water pump housing cut to spec
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 pm Has anybody ever offset bored either a Merlin III or a Dart BBC cast-iron block out to like 4.75" and then rework the crank counterweights to line up the rods??

I guess that I am poorly asking what's the biggest bore these blocks can be bored out to?

And how much trouble is it to install a 4.50" crank in a 9.8" deck BBC block?

Just thinking about max cubes in a standard deck height aftermarket BBC block is all...

pdq67
I've moved the outers .100 and inner. 050 on a dart pro. That bore was 4.670

I have gone 4.640 std borespace without offsetting the bores for an NA engine call a ring manufacturer first to see what rings are available for your desired bore size. Not a lot of options. And a lot of work for nothing. Might as well for 5.0 bs if you want that large of a bore
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

On a Dart Big M block you can go 4.650. There is still plenty of cylinder wall thickness, but there is no more room for the head gasket. I have run customer engines at 4.650 no problem with custom Cometic head gaskets.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

The 4.90" bore Chevy BB block has to have a 4.90" spaced crank, doesn't it?

A 5" B/S block, better look up PackardV8 and see if he will sell me a Packard block. Then also stroke a Packard crank...

I would have to sleeve it to get any sort of big bore out of it though.

pdq67
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

pdq67 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:53 pm The 4.90" bore Chevy BB block has to have a 4.90" spaced crank, doesn't it?

A 5" B/S block, better look up PackardV8 and see if he will sell me a Packard block. Then also stroke a Packard crank...

I would have to sleeve it to get any sort of big bore out of it though.

pdq67
No. You can have a 4.84 crank with a 4.9bs
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

"No. You can have a 4.84 crank with a 4.9bs"

mt,

I have to ask if the 4.84" bore spaced BBC heads will also fit IF CENTERED RIGHT like the crank and also if you know how thick the cylinder walls are before any boring is done so I can see how big a bore to bore to?

Thanks,

pdq67