Ported Intake Opinions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: Ported Intake Opinions

Post by steve cowan »

I will be interested in your results, do you have a spacer to suit the single plane??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Elroy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:41 am
6.50camaro wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:15 am IMHO any advantage of the dual plane intake is lost with the 5300 stall speed converter
I couldn't agree more.
Elroy,
Glad you are back :D
steve c
the rain maker

Post by the rain maker »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:06 pm I will be interested in your results, do you have a spacer to suit the single plane??
I have a NOS Cheater plate system I will be installing. I was not planning on running an additional spacer besides the the plate. Now you have brought up a good question on the spacer since the carb pad has been “squared” off... should I modify/bevel a spacer to match the pad and add the plate to the top of it? Modify the plate itself? Or just trim the base gasket and leave the plate as is?
David Hammons
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

I have never tested a reverse tapered spacer so to speak, this is the situation you will have if you use your plate, I don't think you could shape the spray bar plate correctly any way because of the spray bar.
In my opinion I would test aspirated first to do your comparisons between manifolds as fuel curve will change as well.
steve c
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

If you fit spray bar directly I believe you will have turbulence issues so in my opinion I would not do it, but anything is possible.
Testing and collecting your own data is better than peoples opinion unless they have provided evidence :D
steve c
the rain maker

Post by the rain maker »

Steve thanks for your advice. I hope to be able to test the intake next month.i had Eric at Horsepower Innovations set up another 950hp with annulars so I will be doing a dual plane vs ported single plane and downleg vs annular on the same day.
David Hammons
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

will be interesting,looking forward to any feed back
i have a 950hp carb as well,used in applications to 480hp or so.
would be nice to test a bigger carb on the single plane as well if you can borrow one,i think a bigger throttle bore/venturi would respond well on your combination
steve c
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Posting a pic without the before pic isn't any help. And a pic isn't any help without any plenum or port runner dimensions.

That would give you some idea of how much so called porting was done.., I've seen way to many scuffed up/burr finished intakes that had zero difference and even more hogged out disasters that really hurt power.

Going right into testing a so called ported intake isn't even a test..it's a crap shit at best. Every runner on that intake should be checked for consistency with the other runners to begin with.

Maybe your combo could have been a good fit for this intake as cast? You won't know until you try it
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:09 pm Elroy,
Glad you are back
I have been out studying common core :oops:
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Couple things. First is cam. Was is the lobe separation numbers? 106-110 are not going to work well with nitrous unless it's really small hits. It's not that big of a cam either, definitely agree it needs more. Is your converter balloon plated? I certainly hope so. Most likely on your combo it will be too loose on nitrous as well, so something to consider.

On the spacer, only testing will show if it's needed or not. Sometimes they help, sometimes not. Doesn't matter what type of spacer, the engine will decide if it's needed. That also includes running the nitrous. Lots of variables to consider.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

A strip domnator is probably one of the best OOB manifolds out there. Doesn't need much work.

I have pics of one my customer ran stock, then sent it back to be ported and he found .11 in ET.

I would post it up if requested, need it to be requested in fear of promoting.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Does the OP have to request it? I've got a Strip Dominator in the shop and am certainly curious.
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

RevTheory wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:35 am Does the OP have to request it? I've got a Strip Dominator in the shop and am certainly curious.
The nice thing about the SD is you can make both runners close to the same at 5" long.

Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

I'm not finished with this, it's going on a 358" Super Stock engine. It got weld.

Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
the rain maker

Post by the rain maker »

gmrocket wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:44 am Posting a pic without the before pic isn't any help. And a pic isn't any help without any plenum or port runner dimensions.

That would give you some idea of how much so called porting was done.., I've seen way to many scuffed up/burr finished intakes that had zero difference and even more hogged out disasters that really hurt power.

Going right into testing a so called ported intake isn't even a test..it's a crap shit at best. Every runner on that intake should be checked for consistency with the other runners to begin with.

Maybe your combo could have been a good fit for this intake as cast? You won't know until you try it
gmrocket, you bring up a lot of valid points. I didn’t have any before pictures but it’s a standard Holley Strip Dominator. If I had the tools, knowledge, & ability to get the proper dimensions I would have some answers to my own questions. I realize opinions are just that but a trained eye usually knows what it’s looking at.
The guy I bought the intake from claimed to have over 20 years experience with machine & porting. He had several intakes & heads with similar work, Sunnen bore bars, gauges, etc for sale so I had no reason to doubt him. Holley intakes were on sale up until December 31 and one delivered to my door from Summit with tax was around $250. I internalized buying a new one and gasket matching it myself or buying one with the work already done. A fool & his money are soon departed & I’m easily distracted by shiny objects so In the end, his intake won out. In hindsight, I should have posted pictures of the intake before the purchase & the name of this thread should’ve been “would you buy this intake for $300” 😁 thanks for your input.

Colorado, the cam is 110. I plan on using around a 180 hit for finish line driving, when needed, in short bursts only. I will be using nitrous/fuel jetting recommended to me by my carb builder, Eric Niefert. The camshaft was custom made for my application & intended rpm range by Cam King. The converter is an 8” race originally built by FTI for my combination(with the Victor)and later sent to BTE to have a sprag installed(long story). Thank you for your input/advise. You are right there are a lot of variables.

SRH, thank you for your input and posting up pics of your work. Those are some nice looking intakes!
David Hammons