Ported Intake Opinions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

the rain maker

Ported Intake Opinions

Post by the rain maker »

I purchased this Strip Dominator to settle the single plane vs dual plane debate on which would be faster on my engine combination. The single plane has been ported and looks good to me but I’m no expert. How does it look to any of you more experienced porting or engine guys? Thanks in advance.
B2C28763-A762-4859-A8E4-E55F2D1D53EB.jpeg
7621B30F-A635-4FCB-9BC4-478F08FE7AB8.jpeg
7416BDCC-B2C3-4F52-A904-49BE030EB063.jpeg
562F22AA-DDE6-49F3-AB3D-668C25F2DBA7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Hammons
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: Ported Intake Opinions

Post by steve cowan »

It's obvious the carb base /plenum area has had work done on it but the question I ask is what is your combination /application you will be using this manifold on??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Try it and see how things go.

For what it's worth...

This is one I did for a customer...

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

If you’re going to try and gauge which is better on a particular combo...... single plane vs dual plane......... will the dual plane be ported in a similar fashion?

If not, then the test isn’t really only about single plane vs dual plane.
I mean...... unless one absolutely crushes the other one.

As for the manifold you bought...... I have no idea if will have any impact on the power..... but I’m not really a fan of how the corners of the carb mounting area are all squared up.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

PRH wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:21 pm If you’re going to try and gauge which is better on a particular combo...... single plane vs dual plane......... will the dual plane be ported in a similar fashion?

As for the manifold you bought...... I have no idea if will have any impact on the power..... but I’m not really a fan of how the corners of the carb mounting area are all squared up.

The manifold Ed posted is much nicer than what the OP posted. That intake looks very nice...the one Ed posted.
the rain maker

Post by the rain maker »

steve cowan wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:02 pm It's obvious the carb base /plenum area has had work done on it but the question I ask is what is your combination /application you will be using this manifold on??
3.75 x 4.040 SBC
Approx 12:1
Brodix Track 1s
Jones HR 241/251@50 .375 in/.360 ex
1.75 primary headers
950hp E85
Powerglide, 5300 stall, 5.14 gears, a touch over 3000lbs, 1/8th mile drag race. Currently shift 6200. ET 6.74, 1.44 60ft, @99 mph November 2019.

EDC,
Your intake looks nice. What kind of gains would be typical compared to an untouched intake?

PRH,
The dual plane has only been gasket matched. I agree the results will be somewhat skewed unless there is a significant reduction in ET. Thanks for your insight on the carb mounting area.
David Hammons
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

the rain maker wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:41 pm
steve cowan wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:02 pm It's obvious the carb base /plenum area has had work done on it but the question I ask is what is your combination /application you will be using this manifold on??
3.75 x 4.040 SBC
Brodix Track 1s
1.75 primary headers
950hp E85
Powerglide, 5300 stall, 5.14 gears, a touch over 3000lbs, 1/8th mile drag race. Currently shift 6200. ET 6.74, 1.44 60ft, @99 mph November 2019.

EDC,
Your intake looks nice. What kind of gains would be typical compared to an untouched intake?

PRH,
The dual plane has only been gasket matched. I agree the results will be somewhat skewed unless there is a significant reduction in ET. Thanks for your insight on the carb mounting area.

I wouldn't run a dual plane on your engine......IF the single plane was properly ported, and done for your application, it would likely smoke the dual plane across the rpm range...but.....it has to be properly done for YOUR COMBO.......A ported intake is just like a custom cam, custom heads......they run well on what they were done for, but many times will not on something they weren't....

But I'd be willing to bet even if that single plane isn't optimum, it will far outperform the dual plane....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
the rain maker

Post by the rain maker »

Coloradoracer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 pm
the rain maker wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:41 pm
3.75 x 4.040 SBC
Brodix Track 1s
1.75 primary headers
950hp E85

EDC,

PRH,

I wouldn't run a dual plane on your engine......IF the single plane was properly ported, and done for your application, it would likely smoke the dual plane across the rpm range...but.....it has to be properly done for YOUR COMBO.......A ported intake is just like a custom cam, custom heads......they run well on what they were done for, but many times will not on something they weren't....

But I'd be willing to bet even if that single plane isn't optimum, it will far outperform the dual plane....
Colorado,
That makes sense. I have no idea what the intake flows, I only know it’s been 1206 matched & mounting pad mod as pictured. In 2016 I switched from an old school Victor to an “Air Gap” style and picked up in the 1/8th. I was footbraking( in footbrake & electronics classes) and leaving @2500 so that could have had something to do with the dual plane being quicker. The Victor felt soft in the 60ft. I recently started using the transbrake in electronics class and leaving @3600.
David Hammons
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

As with anything, it's all in the combo...The Victor may not have been right for your combo, or your converter was too tight to take advantage of it....A single plane will typically pick up a lot through the midrange and up, where the dual plane is better down low and into the midrange. Still, I've seen tests where a single plane spanked the dual plane across the entire operating range of the engine....

What does your converter stall at? I'm looking at what it flashes too when you release the brake......
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Fatman
Guru
Guru

Post by Fatman »

what dual plane are you running? any carb spacers?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

David,
I think your car runs well looking at et compared to mph in the eighth.
Very good points made from everyone, it's been said before alot of times that the D/P will perform better in the lower rpm operating range you were using hence the performance gain.
I am interested in your track 1 heads and porting etc that's been done, the intake is an extension of the cylinder head port as in cross section, taper plenum area etc.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
408swinger
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 408swinger »

PRH wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:21 pm If you’re going to try and gauge which is better on a particular combo...... single plane vs dual plane......... will the dual plane be ported in a similar fashion?

Will the square corners matter if he runs a Super Sucker ?
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

IMHO any advantage of the dual plane intake is lost with the 5300 stall speed converter . 5000-5500 seems to be the point where single planes catch up to dual planes in torque. I think you'll see a small change in ET and probably pick some MPH . The limiting factor now is going to be the camshaft. You will need more rpm's to take full advantage of the single plane.
Will the valve springs handle more lift and rpms ? If so I personally would be looking at higher ratio rockers to start or more duration and lift on the cam.
Oh that never ending money pit of going faster. Dan
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

6.50camaro wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:15 am IMHO any advantage of the dual plane intake is lost with the 5300 stall speed converter
I couldn't agree more.
the rain maker

Post by the rain maker »

Coloradoracer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:57 pm As with anything, it's all in the combo...The Victor may not have been right for your combo, or your converter was too tight to take advantage of it....A single plane will typically pick up a lot through the midrange and up, where the dual plane is better down low and into the midrange. Still, I've seen tests where a single plane spanked the dual plane across the entire operating range of the engine....

What does your converter stall at? I'm looking at what it flashes too when you release the brake......
Colorado, I don’t have a data logger but flash is around 5300.

Fatman, the intake is a Chinese knock-off “Assault” & a four hole 2” spacer.
582E4470-C42C-4F99-A9C6-94A42B2AA5BA.png
3244137F-DC71-45DF-90FD-E3D6CA757166.png

Steve, honestly I’m not sure to what extent the heads have been ported. I know the CNC ridges have been smoothed out by the intake gasket. The heads & Victor intake were on a 406 that ran 6 teens in a 2700lb Chevy II I had. I dug out some tickets from November my ET was actually 6.76 @98.xx mph. The first ticket was from Saturday night & second was Sunday morning.
1CD0C34A-41DF-4AF9-96C2-CCC70A823C7F.png
5C9115AE-9AF1-45DE-98FC-35988B26D068.png

6.50, yes the springs will handle more lift. Keep in mind I have a “girlie” cam with heavy hydraulic lifters. I really don’t have the necessary lightweight parts to go much past 6500 on a regular basis. I usually double enter or enter multiple classes on race day so longevity is important to me. Ah yes, the never ending money pit on making things “better” lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Hammons