Rhoads Lifter On Solid Lifter Cam - Setting Lash

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Re: Rhoads Lifter On Solid Lifter Cam - Setting Lash

Post by enigma57 »

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! My project is on hold for the time being. Must deal with a serious health issue before resuming.

FWIW...... After my last post here, I read through the patent papers for these lifters Mr. Rhoads had filed over the years. The last was the most interesting of all. In it, he posited that with the correct straight pattern cam grind...... His variable duration lifters would work best in a running engine if used only on the exhaust side.

So that is what I will do to see how it works on the engine I am building. Isky solid lifters on intake and Rhoads V-Max on exhaust.

Thanks,

Harry
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

If you are not intending to take any advantage of the high leak-down rate of a Rhodes "style" lifter, then why even attempt to use one...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Harry,

About the noises behind us and our asses dragging.

My old RR/CO Buddy Bob and I went to Macon, MO one Sat afternoon, had a couple and left the bar. Like in '68 or '69 or so??

Anyway, we were headed out of Macon and at the drive-in south of town a car passed us at high speed!

I asked my Buddy who it was and he said, his Uncle Don in his Duece and a Quarter. (225 Buick!!)...

So the race was on!

We went around his Uncle in a fine rain at the Excello, MO curves south on Hwy 63 running with my front-end pointed at his door at like at 100 mph!

Bob did a, "Lurch", growl and held on!

We turned east at Jacksonville, MO and I never let up!

Bob said, "You do know there is a right curve up ahead, don't you as we hit it at 100 mph!!"

He liked ta choked as we went broadside at speed!!

He then said. "Slow this SOB down!"...

Boy, those were the crazy youthful days back then!!

My word my old Camaro would fu*king run!!

Bob as well as Harry are long gone....

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Harry,

Back again.

The one story I tell was back in the early spring/summer of 1967 when I about missed my car-pool up to IA when I worked on the RR.

I was dating my wife and lost track of time!

I was to meet my car-pool at my Mom's place in Macon, MO that early morning and was late.

I left my G/F later wife's way early Monday morning's house and headed north out of Moberly, MO wide open.

I went by Trooper Roy Beale just north of the Moberly, MO airport running at least 145!

Roy couldn't catch me. I got to Moms place in Macon at like way less than 10 minutes and she said the guys just missed me.

Anyway, they came back around and picked me up and as we went through the Hwy 63/36 junction, there was Roy and a County deputy and a city cop waiting for me to go north out of town.

I got back home that next Friday and couldn't leave town without a cop in my rear view mirror!

I later got stopped by Roy and I fucking flat told him to his face that the next time he got behind my, that he was going to have to catch me and I didn't think the big Merc M. could catch my Carmaro at 145 +!!

After this happened nobody ever pulled in behind me!!
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 am If you are not intending to take any advantage of the high leak-down rate of a Rhodes "style" lifter, then why even attempt to use one...?
Hi, Walter! Great to hear from you! Well, the short answer to your question is that I am...... But not in the same way nor for the same reasons as most do. What I mean by that is I am not trying to tame an overcammed engine for use in a road car. Nor am I trying to increase vacuum at idle for a 'vacuum rules' circle track car.

The last paper and patent application Mr. Rhoads submitted involved use of his quick bleed down lifter on the exhaust side only of a cam he designed specifically for this purpose. I did not come across this information before I had Isky grind me the solid lifter cam I have here for the Chevy inline 6, but the cam I spec'd is not all that different from the one Mr. Rhoads spec'd. His cam had a tighter LSA by a few degrees and more duration @ 0.050" by nearly 8 or 10 degrees but the principle is the same...... Design both the intake and exhaust sides for the application...... But take advantage of increasing duration and lift on the intake side only at higher RPMs. I dug through my notes just now and cannot locate the link to Mr. Rhoads' papers submitted in support of his patent applications. But if you can locate them, please post them here. There are several, but the last is the one I am speaking of. I'd like to make a note of it

Hi, Paul! Yes, we all have our memories of those experiences. Some of the things we did in our ill spent youth and managed to live through in spite of ourselves, today's young people would never believe. For the most part, I try not to tell them about those days, lest they try something equally as ill advised and someone be maimed or killed in the attempt.

To all...... We have a Cat. 3 (possibly increasing to Cat. 4) hurricane due to make landfall to our East in a few hours. Just now, sustained winds near the storm's eye are 150 MPH with gusts exceeding 175 MPH. Depending upon how far from the center of the storm you are when it makes landfall, storm surge being pushed inland (over and above the effects of high or low tide at the time) will range from several feet to nearly 20 ft. Many of the low lying areas along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf coast are less than 10 ft. above sea level for some distance inland and such a storm surge will inundate areas far inland in such places that are closer to the storm's center as it comes ashore. Wish all affected the best of outcomes.

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Correction to post above - Hurricane Laura is presently a Cat. 4 storm which may intensify to Cat. 5 near landfall.

HB