We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

302 Ford manifold selection

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

frnkeore
New Member
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 am
Location: Oregon

302 Ford manifold selection

Post by frnkeore » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm building a 306 CI engine that will rev to at least 7800 rpm.

The original, funnel web is out, because they are unavailable (shoot me a message if you have one). So, I would like opinions and dyno results, if you have them, on the 4830 AFR, Super Victor and the Trick Flow TFS-52400111 manifolds.

The heads flow 280+ cfm and the carb with be a Holley 850 DP. Also, the intake port measures 2.16 x 1.3.

Thank you for any help.

EDC
Pro
Pro
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:33 pm
Location:
Contact:

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by EDC » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:31 pm

Working on an AFR intake on a set of their 205 heads.

Be a while though. A lot on my plate to finish up first.

Image
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Ed Curtis
www.FlowTechInduction.com

frnkeore
New Member
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by frnkeore » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:12 pm

Thank you, Ed. I'll be looking forward to your results.

Mine won't be together and running, until Spring but, I'd like to order a manifold before that.

I like AFR, a lot but, all that I listed have been related to be as good choices. I probably couldn't go wrong with any of the 3 but, dyno results are the best indicator.

KnightEngines
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 2179
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by KnightEngines » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:22 am

My pick is the super vic, with a little grinder work.

User avatar
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert
Posts: 821
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:41 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by midnightbluS10 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:34 pm

You could always call and see if this Funnel Web is available

https://shop.carolinaspeedandmachine.co ... C71302.htm

Or this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Intake- ... Swga9d6nEh
JC -

SUPPORT THE RPM ACT :!:

https://www.sema.org/rpm-bill-summary

EDC
Pro
Pro
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:33 pm
Location:
Contact:

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by EDC » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:57 pm

Those are Chicom knock-offs...

The real ones don't have the tapped hole in the rear runner.

They also have "Funnel Web" on the runner, not the water cross over.

Image
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Ed Curtis
www.FlowTechInduction.com

frnkeore
New Member
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by frnkeore » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:40 pm

I've been schooled on Funnel Webs by, JDC so, I know what to look for. They have to have a Aussie emblem on the bottom.

If you look at the Ebay one, you'll see how rough and uneven the plenum is. The runners are said to be the same and some have spots that leak fuel.

User avatar
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert
Posts: 821
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:41 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by midnightbluS10 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:49 pm

Sorry about that! I completely forgot about the writing on the runner. Thanks for the refresher. I'll keep my eyes open for an authentic one. It's been a while since I've looked for one so I forgot what I was looking for.
JC -

SUPPORT THE RPM ACT :!:

https://www.sema.org/rpm-bill-summary

frnkeore
New Member
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by frnkeore » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

User avatar
MadBill
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 14498
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by MadBill » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:50 pm

frnkeore wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 pm
I'm building a 306 CI engine that will rev to at least 7800 rpm.

The original, funnel web is out, because they are unavailable (shoot me a message if you have one). So, I would like opinions and dyno results, if you have them, on the 4830 AFR, Super Victor and the Trick Flow TFS-52400111 manifolds.

The heads flow 280+ cfm and the carb with be a Holley 850 DP. Also, the intake port measures 2.16 x 1.3.

Thank you for any help.
We bought a Funnelweb from Big Joe in 2012, which he had received from Terry Parker to evaluate. He rubbed on it some and dynoed it vs. a similarly prepared Super Victor. He said the FW initially had the edge by ~ 10 HP but a 1" spacer on the SV brought it up to par. (it didn't help the FW) We had it on a road race 306" with 185 cc CNC TrickFlow heads and a Jones solid roller. We dynoed to 8,000 and it hadn't quite peaked yet. After the stock block split, we built a 380" Dart with the same heads and manifold plus a bit more cam. With that combo it peaked at 7,800 RPM with 570 WHP.

BTW, allegedly some of the knock-offs are not too bad; just a little gnarly in the runners. (Others are like a copy of a copy of a fax...)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

frnkeore
New Member
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 am
Location: Oregon

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by frnkeore » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:41 am

Bill, thank you for that info.

I had heard that the earlier (8-10 yrs ago) chi copy's were very close to the original FW's but, these later ones are basically, very inferior.

Have you ever talked to anyone that has used the TF, R manifold?

User avatar
MadBill
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 14498
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by MadBill » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:23 am

frnkeore wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:41 am
..
Have you ever talked to anyone that has used the TF, R manifold?
Sorry, no.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

JohnsnsFord2@aol.com
Member
Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 pm
Location:

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by JohnsnsFord2@aol.com » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:50 am

MadBill wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:50 pm
frnkeore wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 pm
I'm building a 306 CI engine that will rev to at least 7800 rpm.

The original, funnel web is out, because they are unavailable (shoot me a message if you have one). So, I would like opinions and dyno results, if you have them, on the 4830 AFR, Super Victor and the Trick Flow TFS-52400111 manifolds.

The heads flow 280+ cfm and the carb with be a Holley 850 DP. Also, the intake port measures 2.16 x 1.3.

Thank you for any help.
We bought a Funnelweb from Big Joe in 2012, which he had received from Terry Parker to evaluate. He rubbed on it some and dynoed it vs. a similarly prepared Super Victor. He said the FW initially had the edge by ~ 10 HP but a 1" spacer on the SV brought it up to par. (it didn't help the FW) We had it on a road race 306" with 185 cc CNC TrickFlow heads and a Jones solid roller. We dynoed to 8,000 and it hadn't quite peaked yet. After the stock block split, we built a 380" Dart with the same heads and manifold plus a bit more cam. With that combo it peaked at 7,800 RPM with 570 WHP.

BTW, allegedly some of the knock-offs are not too bad; just a little gnarly in the runners. (Others are like a copy of a copy of a fax...)


how much taller is a FW over the SV and Vic JR?
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Ex-Jim Van Cleve
1985 Mustang GT N/A 331

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8643
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm
Location:

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by pdq67 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:43 pm

I once had a dammed near new off a salvage engine F4B dual plane intake.

I didn't even have any ID on it and looked to have never been ground on.

How would it do on a hopped up 306?

It was a, "muscular", looking intake!! I sold it to my nephew and it sits on the floor of his shop, go figure... In fact he has a rebuilt 302 that sits on an engine stand and has for longer than I can remember.. That's why I sold it to him..

pdq67

EDC
Pro
Pro
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:33 pm
Location:
Contact:

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by EDC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:33 pm

pdq67 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:43 pm
I once had a dammed near new off a salvage engine F4B dual plane intake. I didn't even have any ID on it and looked to have never been ground on. How would it do on a hopped up 306?

It was a, "muscular", looking intake!! I sold it to my nephew and it sits on the floor of his shop, go figure... In fact he has a rebuilt 302 that sits on an engine stand and has for longer than I can remember.. That's why I sold it to him..

pdq67
I like the odd stuff too. Been looking at this thing sitting around here for a long time. Eventually, might do something with it.

Image
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Ed Curtis
www.FlowTechInduction.com

Post Reply