302 Ford manifold selection

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by CGT »

EDC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm Tried to buy this old Offy on FleaBay for my collection but the guy wanted far too much.

I recently ran across one of these for a sbc. Offy with a 4500 flange and opening. I never knew such a thing exists.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CGT wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:14 am
EDC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm Tried to buy this old Offy on FleaBay for my collection but the guy wanted far too much.
I recently ran across one of these for a sbc. Offy with a 4500 flange and opening. I never knew such a thing exists.
The Offenhauser "SuperSonic" for the SBC was a pretty good intake manifold.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:44 am
The Offenhauser "SuperSonic" for the SBC was a pretty good intake manifold.
The one Ed quoted a picture of, was the Offenhauser "Dial-a-Flow". They had different inserts you could stuff into that big cavern under the carb. The SBF variant people used, was the Port-o-Sonic. Back before the Victor Jr. came out in 1991, this was the biggest, baddest intake out there... once majorly modified... as they were ROUGH coming out of the box!

Looked kind of like a slightly smaller, much rougher version of the Victor Jr.

Anyone have more data on the new AFR SBF intake? How does it compare to the Victor Jr or Super Victor?

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

frnkeore wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:33 amHere it is.
Used to talk with Tom at Canfield from time to time. I bought a set of his 220cc SBC heads when they came out. Intakes didn't take much work to flow in the high 320cfm but exhausts wasn't that good. Sent him port molds of the exhaust after we worked them.
Used to get a lot of stuff from Canfield and HRW (sister companies) but was unaware of those intakes.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

This is how it's marked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Well, again, how was the old SBF F4B dual plane intake on a hopped up 289/302 engine?

pdq67
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

frnkeore wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:59 pm This is how it's marked.
You don't need it..

Just send it to me.

:D :wink: :lol:
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Ed, i know you collect manifolds, from your postings on here, so, I'm going to "give" it to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324074214153?_ ... BID.R3.TR3

I don't want to get in a bidding war, on a manifold that I'm not sure of so, I bought a Vic Jr last night.

If you put it on a engine, please let us know how it does.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

http://carbdford.com/fletch/tech/intakes/intakes.htm

If I'm reading this OOOLD manifold test results correctly, the Offenhauser and Weiand SBF tunnel rams available in the day were total turds. What were the problems which caused them to make less power than the better low rise single planes?

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

PackardV8 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 am http://carbdford.com/fletch/tech/intakes/intakes.htm

If I'm reading this OOOLD manifold test results correctly, the Offenhauser and Weiand SBF tunnel rams available in the day were total turds. What were the problems which caused them to make less power than the better low rise single planes?

jack vines
The Weiand Tunnel Ram actually did really well. The Offy had a bog, which caused it to do worse. Plus, engine was very mild.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Some things that stand out, in that test are:

1. POS flowed the second highest, cfm rating and had the single highest HP reading (by .7) BUT, it was down on max torque to the both Weiand's and fell of at 55K, compared to the Weiand.

2. The Weiand TP, had the single highest torgue reading at a much higher rpm (35K vs 40K), it also had the highest average torque from 2750 - 4250.
There is only 1 cfm ave. difference between the two Weiand's. I suspect reason the TP didn't excel is the plentum and the right angle the AF had to make, to get to the ports at higher velocity. I think if the TP would have had two 350 cfm 2V (495 cfm @ 1.5) centered over the ports, it would have been the clear winner.

3. The supersize was the the Torker II with the highest cfm rating and about the poorest performance.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I've got another question to ask while we are on this subject.

For the mild 332 build that I'm going to put in my '48, to replace the mild 306, I've heard many times that the Edelbrock Air Gap manifold, has a overall torque advantage and only off a few HP on the upper end. There is a air gap manifold, called the TSP Air Gap, a very similar looking manifold, to the Edelbrock. Has anyone tried it?
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

frnkeore wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:34 pm I've got another question to ask while we are on this subject.

For the mild 332 build that I'm going to put in my '48, to replace the mild 306, I've heard many times that the Edelbrock Air Gap manifold, has a overall torque advantage and only off a few HP on the upper end. There is a air gap manifold, called the TSP Air Gap, a very similar looking manifold, to the Edelbrock. Has anyone tried it?
The Edelbrock 351W Air Gap is indeed a much different intake than the 351W Performer RPM. It stands a lot taller, and is bigger inside. However, the 302 Air Gap is the same height as the standard RPM, and doesn't really offer much of a performance increase over the RPM... other than it being an air gap. Looks cool though. Hard to beat the bang for the buck of the 302 Performer RPM. Air Gap looks cool, though.